Could the Gophers play NW at Wrigley in 2017?

Whoever will telecast the game is going to lobby for the matchup that will maximize ratings. TV rights will dwarf whatever money is generated by having slightly more than 40,000 at the game. i mean it might get 45,000 attendance max.

I don't think any TV opinion will trump the Cubs, Wriglyville, and the teams who can just nix it altogether.

I think everyone is overthinking MN vs Purdue.....

I find it hard to believe BTN, ESPN, or whoever is real concerned about hotel bookings and they will have a big influence on the matchup at Wrigley.
In that case I certain Minnesota will have a much better team than Purdue in both 2016 and 2017. Guessing Hazzell gets fired after this year and 2017 will be another 1-11, 2-10 season for Purdue. I could see the argument for needing Wrigley more for the Purdue game as a gimmick to get fans to watch it. Now a match up vs a bowl team will draw better than Purdue if we are going the ratings route, especially if Minnesota has the type of a year in 2016 that their schedule can provide

I've never been to away Gopher games outside of Iowa City and the Citrus Bowl, but this
game would get me to caravan down I-94, and like the old weekend Twins-Brewers
series, I believe a line of Minnesota fans would be in trail.

I heard them talking about this on KFAN yesterday. There was mention of jNW playing IL at Soldier Field the week following the MN@jNW game. If that is the case, jNW will spread out their alternate site games, IMO.

As far as draw, both MN@jNW and PU@jNW are equally bad. Talk about splitting hairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How exciting. A game vs NW in a "historic" low capacity puke hole of a stadium. Yawn.

How exciting. A game vs NW in a "historic" low capacity puke hole of a stadium. Yawn.

The alternative is at Northwestern. Wrigley and Ryan Field are about the same capacity.

Also Wrigley is being ruined by an upgrade so it's crappiness will now be due to the fact that they killed the old style that made it loveable.

The alternative is at Northwestern. Wrigley and Ryan Field are about the same capacity.

Also Wrigley is being ruined by an upgrade so it's crappiness will now be due to the fact that they killed the old style that made it loveable.
Chicago ruined solider field. Why not Wrigley

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Have you been to Ryan Field? The trip for the away game vs. Northwestern is awesome, because it's Chicago. But Ryan Field sucks. I'd much rather see a game in Soldier Field or Wrigley Field, just to avoid the trip to Evanston and, again, because Ryan Field sucks.

Have you been to Ryan Field? The trip for the away game vs. Northwestern is awesome, because it's Chicago. But Ryan Field sucks. I'd much rather see a game in Soldier Field or Wrigley Field, just to avoid the trip to Evanston and, again, because Ryan Field sucks.

Also the grass there is like 3 feet thick...

Dyche Stadium may be a dive, but at least you can get into and out of there fairly easily. The only time I've ever been you an event at the new Soldier Field everyone was forced out the north end towards the Field Museum, and it took FOREVER to get out of there.

This would be a cool thing. I await official announcement or denial.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yes sign me up and i think Gopher alumni from other parts of the country would make the trip in droves. Wrigley field is an attraction because of the neighborhood and vibe.

I don't see what the down side is. It's not like Minnesota looses a home game. It adds a little juice to the game.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

6 times. Soldier Field is not an option for this games, so non-discussion. WRIGLEY FIELD IS A DUMP, upgrades or not. No concourses. Long lines at concessions. View lines suck. Field placement sucks. Neighborhood is a rotting hell hole. I would take Evanston in a heartbeat over this sh!tpile.

6 times. Soldier Field is not an option for this games, so non-discussion. WRIGLEY FIELD IS A DUMP, upgrades or not. No concourses. Long lines at concessions. View lines suck. Field placement sucks. Neighborhood is a rotting hell hole. I would take Evanston in a heartbeat over this sh!tpile.

That might be a bit strong. While most of the buildings are like 100 years old, it isn't exactly the S Bronx.

I don't know about all this, but I do believe Wrigley Field may be the most overrated venue in sports.

Wriggleyville is a dump? I think housing prices there would beg to differ. It is one of the more attractive areas to live in Chicago. I agree with you on concession lines and probably sight lines but the ballpark is great because of where it's located. If Tiger Stadium was located in an area like this it would still be around.

I'd love to see the Gophers get the game at Wrigley just due to the unique nature of the game. I'm a bit puzzled as to why we're a candidate, but I'll take it.

Some of the charm of Wrigley Field has been dissipated by the renovations although locals don't necessarily share that opinion. A good friend in Chicago who splits a Cubs season ticket package very much wants the new features. He looks on with envy when at Target Field, and for that matter at The Bank, wanting better facilities at home.

When the Bears played at Wrigley Field from 1921-1970, the sidelines ran parallel to the third base/left field line. The addition of seats behind the backstop rendered that configuration impossible when Northwestern and Illinois played there a few years ago, so the sidelines ran parallel to the first base/right field line instead. That's when the issue of the lack of slow down room in the right field end zone led to the decision to only have teams play towards the opposite end zone. How is the proposed renovation going to fix this? If the same configuration is to be used. it would mean tearing down some of the brick wall and historic ivy, something that wasn't altered even during the renovations meant to favor baseball. That part of the field was so tight the goalpost had to be anchored to the wall because there was no room to insert it in the ground.

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/i/n/wrigley-field-illinois-northwestern-football-21.jpg

I'd love to see the Gophers get the game at Wrigley just due to the unique nature of the game. I'm a bit puzzled as to why we're a candidate, but I'll take it.

Some of the charm of Wrigley Field has been dissipated by the renovations although locals don't necessarily share that opinion. A good friend in Chicago who splits a Cubs season ticket package very much wants the new features. He looks on with envy when at Target Field, and for that matter at The Bank, wanting better facilities at home.

When the Bears played at Wrigley Field from 1921-1970, the sidelines ran parallel to the third base/left field line. The addition of seats behind the backstop rendered that configuration impossible when Northwestern and Illinois played there a few years ago, so the sidelines ran parallel to the first base/right field line instead. That's when the issue of the lack of slow down room in the right field end zone led to the decision to only have teams play towards the opposite end zone. How is the proposed renovation going to fix this? If the same configuration is to be used. it would mean tearing down some of the brick wall and historic ivy, something that wasn't altered even during the renovations meant to favor baseball. That part of the field was so tight the goalpost had to be anchored to the wall because there was no room to insert it in the ground.

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/i/n/wrigley-field-illinois-northwestern-football-21.jpg

I'm assuming it is just about the timing. They don't want to schedule anything at Wrigley when there is a chance the Cubs would still be playing. So the only options would be games in November and NW has just the two home games that month: MN and Purude.

Wriggleyville is a dump? I think housing prices there would beg to differ. It is one of the more attractive areas to live in Chicago. I agree with you on concession lines and probably sight lines but the ballpark is great because of where it's located. If Tiger Stadium was located in an area like this it would still be around.

As of May 21st, 62 armed robberies in Wriggleyville. Twice the crime, assault, and rape rate than national average. Four times the murder rate. Look it up your self.

Player safety. They have 2 endzones. If you look at the photo gallery, it has a padded wall in right field. It was Conference decision.
Concerns over player safety at Wrigley are reminiscent of Nagurski's famous touchdown run and ensuing collision with a wall behind the end zone. Let's make that padding thick!

As of May 21st, 62 armed robberies in Wriggleyville. Twice the crime, assault, and rape rate than national average. Four times the murder rate. Look it up your self.

Statistics aside, and I'm not doubting their validity, the area around the ballpark is nevertheless considered a desirable one. It's not placid suburbia but is very far from a crime ridden ghetto. The concentration of bars in the area certainly has to skew crime upwards. Add alcohol to a youthful group of drinkers and then further add late closing times and it's a recipe for trouble whether that trouble just happens or is instigated by those looking to commit crimes.

Looking at the first pic, they could have moved the one good end zone down a couple more yards to give more room to the crowded one. imho

I just feel Purdue v NW will bring in more viewers and that's the main reason for this game. TV ratings.

That's just not true.

If TV is the determining factor, then by almost any metric, Minnesota would trump Purdue.

Minnesota has more TV sets by a fairly wide margin, has more alums, more enrollment, will almost certainly be looked upon more favorably from a team projection standpoint. Minneapolis is the 15th largest TV market in the country.

Purdue this past season had so much interest from TV networks that it didn't play a single game on ABC or ESPN. Twice the Boilers appeared on ESPN 2 and 5 more times on BTN (all the 11am kickoff variety). Excitement level for Purdue football was so high last year, it played FOUR TIMES on the vaunted ESPN-U or even worse, ESPN News. They did not appear in a night game. In addition, Purdue has been chosen for exactly ZERO prime times game for the coming year (2016). Quite simply, TV does not want Purdue game.

Comparatively, Minnesota played in four prime time games last year, including three national broadcasts on ABC or ESPN. And, the Gophers have been selected for two evening games already for the coming season (2016)

And, in case you haven't noticed, interest level in Purdue football is at a two-decade low. They have an almost lame-duck coach who is 2-22 in Big Ten games in 3 his years in West Lafayette. The only hope the Boilers likely have is if the decision is made after this season and Purdue hires some exciting new coach.

I don't see what the down side is. It's not like Minnesota looses a home game. It adds a little juice to the game.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

There is no downside, except for people who wouldn't go anyway and don't like fun.

Top Bottom