Could the Gophers play NW at Wrigley in 2017?

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Northwestern wants to schedule someone there in November of 2017. Only options would be Purdue and Minnesota.

Jim Phillips is eager for Northwestern football to return to Wrigley Field. Phillips told the Chicago Tribune's Teddy Greenstein the following in an article published Thursday:

"We're anxious to get something done," he told the Tribune. "I'm close with those guys. I talk to (owner) Tom (Ricketts) all the time. Everyone is motivated to do it. It's really on their timeline."

Greenstein also paraphrased Phillips and wrote:

Phillips hopes that Northwestern can return to Wrigley in November of 2017.

In November 2017, Northwestern is scheduled to play Nebraska on the road, Purdue and Minnesota at home, and Illinois at Soldier Field.

http://www.insidenu.com/2016/5/19/11712962/northwestern-football-wrigley-field-chicago-cubs-partnership?_ga=1.108697291.833193084.1437534100

That would be so awesome!!! I wouldn't miss it.

Go Gophers!!

Is that where one end zone cannot be used? Even so, terrible idea.

They're going to renovate the field so that won't be an issue the next time.

I might consider going to this. Although it can't be the handicapped gimmick it was last time. I won't support a money grab unless the product is actually cool.

I just feel Purdue v NW will bring in more viewers and that's the main reason for this game. TV ratings.

Why would Purdue bring in more viewers? That doesn't make sense.

Regardless, I'll be there for sure if this happens. Have been to Ryan Field (3) times and this would be much more enticing.

I think these alternate site games are stupid.... but it's a road game and NW so hey let's do it.

NW cannot fill their own stadium. Neither can Purdue and often MN so is the novelty of the playing field supposed to attract fans that ordinarily would not go to a game?
NW should schedule NE if they want to fill the place.

NW cannot fill their own stadium. Neither can Purdue and often MN so is the novelty of the playing field supposed to attract fans that ordinarily would not go to a game?

Disagree, NW fills their own stadium with Nebraska fans in that game, the teams that travel well will come regardless

I just feel Purdue v NW will bring in more viewers and that's the main reason for this game. TV ratings.

Purdue, particularly given the struggling status of their program over the past few years, is certainly no greater TV draw than the Gophers. The only factor Purdue has in its favor is they have a significantly larger alumni base in Chicago than the U, and the school is located much closer to Chicago, so their fans could travel. That's it.

Yes. The game was sold out the last time they played there. If they do it once every few years, I think it will continue to be a big draw.

It should also be considered that NW has been making a push to be Chicago's college football team.

In reality Chicago is a mishmash of imports from EVERYWHERE in B1G land. But understandable that NW wants a piece of that market pie.

Why would Purdue bring in more viewers? That doesn't make sense.

Regardless, I'll be there for sure if this happens. Have been to Ryan Field (3) times and this would be much more enticing.

There's more of a natural rivalry between the two schools due to proximity and many Purdue grads living in Chicago. If they are looking to maximize ratings, I think Purdue is a more natural choice.

Purdue, particularly given the struggling status of their program over the past few years, is certainly no greater TV draw than the Gophers. The only factor Purdue has in its favor is they have a significantly larger alumni base in Chicago than the U, and the school is located much closer to Chicago, so their fans could travel. That's it.

And what exactly is the draw of the Gophers playing in this game? I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that Purdue-NW has been a historically bigger draw than MN-NW.

And what exactly is the draw of the Gophers playing in this game? I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that Purdue-NW has been a historically bigger draw than MN-NW.

Butts in hotel rooms.

You can fill Wrigley with the in-town alumni of any B1G school, but I think more Gopher fans would make the overnight trip and get those rooms.

Butts in hotel rooms.

You can fill Wrigley with the in-town alumni of any B1G school, but I think more Gopher fans would make the overnight trip and get those rooms.

I find it hard to believe BTN, ESPN, or whoever is real concerned about hotel bookings and they will have a big influence on the matchup at Wrigley.

I find it hard to believe BTN, ESPN, or whoever is real concerned about hotel bookings and they will have a big influence on the matchup at Wrigley.

You sure?

I'm not sure for a decision between MN and Purdue the players will be anyone other the two teams, and the Cubs, and Wrigleyville.

You sure?

I'm not sure for a decision between MN and Purdue the players will be anyone other the two teams, and the Cubs, and Wrigleyville.

Whoever will telecast the game is going to lobby for the matchup that will maximize ratings. TV rights will dwarf whatever money is generated by having slightly more than 40,000 at the game. i mean it might get 45,000 attendance max.

If they are looking for good games...

MN vs NU > Purdue vs NU

With the exception of last years debacle, the Gophers & Wildcats have played some entertaining games.

Minnesota@Northwestern last year outdrew Purdue@Northwestern by 31 fans. One doughnut.

Previous Meeting
Minnesota@Northwestern in 2013 outdrew Purdue@Northwestern in 2010 by 2,740 fans. Two doughnuts

I refuse to go back farther.

Top Bottom