Doogie says some boosters have reached out to coaching candidates to gauge interest

This is so true, and the moped comment made me laugh. Good memory.

The Goal Line Club (the football equivalent) is much more prevalent and active.

Go Gophers!!
There's a lot I don't remember (or care to from the past 18 years...) but that did come to mind.
So the comment that Pitino hasn't paid any attention to them - is this a very valid complaint? Or more piling on?

In this case, Whistleblower laws would likely protect anyone who leaked anything since it was an alleged misuse of University funds.

It was not alleged misuse of University funds.

Obviously, this is media looking for clicks, readers, and viewers, but there is unrest and dissatisfaction that I think is greater right now than at the time Monson got fired. How much is media-driven I can't say; but some is also very genuine. Whoever said Coyle should address this had a good idea. Wordsmiths at the U can craft it so you can say he's coaching next year with the implied that he better win and the blackeyes better be done.

I know an alumnus of the program and chatted with him after church last Sunday. He's just fit to be tied with the state of the program, including and especially the serial misconduct. It's not like he has any inside information, but he feels strongly that Pitino's on the hot seat over there, evidenced by Kaler's under-the-bus throwing of him.

I know an alumnus of the program and chatted with him after church last Sunday. He's just fit to be tied with the state of the program, including and especially the serial misconduct. It's not like he has any inside information, but he feels strongly that Pitino's on the hot seat over there, evidenced by Kaler's under-the-bus throwing of him.
Ya Pitino's sitting on top of a burner now. Kaler definitely tossed him under, didn't really care for that, those are the type of things you talk about behind closed doors, it reeked of deflecting responsibility as a University President. It's like when a heir dirty laundry about a player or teammate to the press. Certain things good leaders just don't do. With that said, Kaler's right that Pitino has to clean up his program, but there's no reason for him to handle it the way that he did.

Ya Pitino's sitting on top of a burner now. Kaler definitely tossed him under, didn't really care for that, those are the type of things you talk about behind closed doors, it reeked of deflecting responsibility as a University President. It's like when a heir dirty laundry about a player or teammate to the press. Certain things good leaders just don't do. With that said, Kaler's right that Pitino has to clean up his program, but there's no reason for him to handle it the way that he did.

I agree, funny thou, after Pitino won the NIT, this forum was a nervous Nelly about Pitino leaving for greener pastures. The forum in general couldn't believe their good fortune in his hire. As for Kaler, a leader he is not. Unfortunately, Pitino is one of the last remnants of Kalers last AD hire. Get rid of Pitino and maybe we will forget about the Teague blemish on Kaler's resume. But, get rid of Pitino and we won't be able to hire a Juco coach. My hope is that someone will show Kaler how to wear some bigboy pants and get behind this team for one year.

I agree, funny thou, after Pitino won the NIT, this forum was a nervous Nelly about Pitino leaving for greener pastures. The forum in general couldn't believe their good fortune in his hire. As for Kaler, a leader he is not. Unfortunately, Pitino is one of the last remnants of Kalers last AD hire. Get rid of Pitino and maybe we will forget about the Teague blemish on Kaler's resume. But, get rid of Pitino and we won't be able to hire a Juco coach. My hope is that someone will show Kaler how to wear some bigboy pants and get behind this team for one year.
Agreed, the same people burning the torches and tying the nooses were singing his praise. That year tells me he can coach with adequate talent, the recruiting has gotten better this year and as long as there aren't anymore issues, he should be able to put a decent team on the floor that has enough talent to creep into the dance. I think Kaler wants to be one of those President's supportive of the Athletic department, much like how the Wild's owner fancies himself as an NHL version of George Steinburner, he just doesn't seem to now how.

What's the buyout look like after next season? I hope we don't have to worry about and that this season goes better than expected.

What's the buyout look like after next season? I hope we don't have to worry about and that this season goes better than expected.

I think it drops to 5.5 mil next year and ~ 4 mil after that? I could be off. Personally I don't think we spend $5.5 mil on a buyout even if he makes the NIT(and not the NCAA), which makes Kaler's comments that much dumber.

Why is so much of the fan base ok with the NIT ? He has to make the NCAA in year 4. Have been a booster for a long time and i do think it is wrong for boosters to put pressure on the AD, even though it happens everywhere i have been. It is equally egregious to back this coach as outstanding as he has done nothing but lose on and off the court. Still, he gets the 4th year but he better win at least 10 conference games as it is year 4 ! There are many long time basketball people (in the business) that do not think he is a special coach. You need to win conference titles to be special.

Why is so much of the fan base ok with the NIT ? He has to make the NCAA in year 4. Have been a booster for a long time and i do think it is wrong for boosters to put pressure on the AD, even though it happens everywhere i have been. It is equally egregious to back this coach as outstanding as he has done nothing but lose on and off the court. Still, he gets the 4th year but he better win at least 10 conference games as it is year 4 ! There are many long time basketball people (in the business) that do not think he is a special coach. You need to win conference titles to be special.

And if you have the $5.5 mil to spend go for it. Buy him out. I don't so i wont advocate for a department which is already (likely) taking on a lot of loans for building facilities to spend $5.5 mil on a buyout for a basketball coach. Realize that $5.5 mil would cover most of the costs of several arts and humanities department budgets.

Agree with you not to buy him out. He gets this year to try and prove he is a good coach because he certainly has not done that. Besides the buyout, the new AD would not get a fair shake at a decent hire on this timeline. I know of a booster that is holding out a 10 million dollar gift.

My first thought when reading the initial post was where have these boosters been that could come up with a $7 million buyout the last 15 years when the vast majority of other high major schools have built practice facilities? The last winning conference season was a decade ago, it would have been nice for these guys to be upset/concerned a long time ago.

I mostly agree with builtbadgers in that an NCAA tournament by year 4 is a very fair expectation for a coach who has had zero off the court headlines, much less multiple instances of bad press. I hope Pitino does well this next season and the University won't need to make a change. That said, a $5 million or so buyout should not be an impossible hurdle for a school getting ~32 million in revenue sharing (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...revenue-shares-jump-to-32-million-per-school/).

31-4, but who's counting?:drink:

Oddly, I can remember every loss, and the order they occurred. ... @ Alabama, @ Illinois (early in Big Ten season?), @ Wisconsin (final game of regular season), vs. Kentucky. I'm in my early 50s. Is it possible I'll get to experience another season like that assuming I live 'til about 85? Hoping so (minus the cheating, of course).

Don't care what they took away. I'll always have that season.

Pitino is gone after this year no matter what. He will get fired if doesn't perform, or he will take a new job within two weeks of ending a successful season due to the treatment he has received in the media and by the U itself.

Don't worry guys. He is gone a year from now, guaranteed.

I have to agree with gopherguy... No way I would stay and put up with this BS ... I do think he will have a good year. I still don't understand where all the anger toward Pitino comes from?

We all knew this year was going to be bad. And he landed a good class just like we thought he could. Let this play out OMG

This is ridiculous. Either go to Boston with your private jet and checkbook and bring Brad Stevens to Coyle's door with a check for $7 million or put a sock in it until next March. Leaking BS audit stories to the Star Tribune is not how to go about it.

Brad Stevens? I heard he already turned down the job....right after Shaka Smart turned down the same offer. You know where Beth came from right? The Reuvers comments about the Gophers not recruiting him hard enough seem to be an extension of the Reuvers and Macura families being close and things I had heard two years ago. I think it would be the wrong decision to fire Pitino right now....at the beginning of the summer. But I would be surprised if Pitino was the coach of the Gophers a year from now. He ended up getting Coffey, which along with the $7 million buyout, not having a permanent AD and no HC wanting to step into this situation saved his job. But I have little confidence in him being able to get the players he needs to commit to be successful at the University of Minnesota.

The U could offer Stevens 10 million a year and he would not want the job. If he ever comes back to college it would be only at Indiana or Duke.

It's just so weird. So so weird. What is different about Pitino than any of his failed predecessors?

It was rumored "boosters" wanted Tubby out, then Monson was a colossal failure, Clem had the biggest cheating scandal in NCAA history (except for the UNC WBB one :)) and yet it is Richard Pitino who they not only want gone, but seem to have this personal vendetta against. Like he kicked their dog. It's just weird. I get its their money and fully support they can do what they want with it, I'm just so lost as to why now? Like this program had been a ray of sunshine until Pitino came. Boosters of one variety or another have been unhappy with MBB for years. Except for when it was at its all time high levels of cheating. I just don't get it. Pitino hasn't been great by any stretch, but he at least has some positive outlook for next year.

As much as people want to bash Tubby (and I was okay with firing him) he was the most successful coach of the last 20 years or so and "boosters" wanted him gone as well.

Agree with Doogie though, think Pitino has a solid year next season and these guys all eat their words.

Would also be a positive step of Coyle addressed this and said Pitino is here this season and will coach the team this season. And will be evaluated at the end of the year like all coaches at the U. Just to hopefully stop some of this.

Even Monson tied for 4th in the Big Ten one year. That seems like a far away dream at this point.

This thread makes me sick. We’ve just hired an AD that appears to me to be a home run hire. And despite last year’s basketball record, we will be adding some very solid players next year and we have some young players who are likely to improve significantly. Late-season we were very competitive and we demonstrated our potential by beating Maryland. Had we not had to suspend three players at the end of the season, I think we might have had a strong finish. Yes, we need to eliminate the off-court problems, but I don’t think anyone is more aware of than coach Pitino. I think we all need to take a deep breath and see how this plays out. As for me, I’m optimistic. I think we will see a vast improvement next year.

There is absolutely no benchmark(I hate that effing word) for number of wins or number of years in which to do it.

Decisions have to be made on the state of the program GOING FORWARD. What's past will not change....we must attempt to manage the future.

I hope our idiots are smart enough to understand that.

Coyle's first priority has to fix the mess on the other side of 4th Street, otherwise there will no longer be 3 revenue sports at the U.

Pitino's buyout can cook down for a while.

There is absolutely no benchmark(I hate that effing word) for number of wins or number of years in which to do it.

Decisions have to be made on the state of the program GOING FORWARD. What's past will not change....we must attempt to manage the future.

I hope our idiots are smart enough to understand that.
LOL - this sentence is a day-brightener!

Especially considering too Pitino also has the Gopher record for most wins in a season. Which if you blame him for having the most losses in history, it's inly fitting to give him credit for the most wins in history as well.

And that's of course you consider Clem's vacated seasons as going 0-0 instead of 0-30 or whatever it would be.

Doesn't mean much since the whole preseason is basically a series of controlled scrimmages. Anything less than 20 wins puts a coach on the hot seat.

The U could offer Stevens 10 million a year and he would not want the job. If he ever comes back to college it would be only at Indiana or Duke.
10 mill is a lot to say no too. Different sport, but who wouldn't want more money than Nick Saban. With that said, imagine the outrage over that potential buyout. Will never happen anyways

10 mill is a lot to say no too. Different sport, but who wouldn't want more money than Nick Saban. With that said, imagine the outrage over that potential buyout. Will never happen anyways

Stevens has multiple dogs, that would be a big pain point to get them here....

If Pitino had the exact same on-court record last season - BUT with no off-court issues, and a good APR, we are having a completely different argument.

It's a combination of factors: the on-court record + players leaving the program + sex video + sexual assault allegations + a top local recruit claiming the Gophers didn't show enough interest in him.

Add all of that up, and if you can't understand why Pitino is on the hot seat, then you've got your head in the sand.

This thread makes me sick. We’ve just hired an AD that appears to me to be a home run hire. And despite last year’s basketball record, we will be adding some very solid players next year and we have some young players who are likely to improve significantly. Late-season we were very competitive and we demonstrated our potential by beating Maryland. Had we not had to suspend three players at the end of the season, I think we might have had a strong finish. Yes, we need to eliminate the off-court problems, but I don’t think anyone is more aware of than coach Pitino. I think we all need to take a deep breath and see how this plays out. As for me, I’m optimistic. I think we will see a vast improvement next year.

Totally agree! The AD needs to get control of the situation and call off the dogs. They are only hurting the situation. Pitino is here to stay and it does no good to bad mouthing the program, the University and the players!!!! The "so called" boosters are an embarrassment to the school. No respectable coach is going to listen to a group of disgruntled fans, what power do they have in picking our coach. There are many things that Pitino is well aware of that needs to be cleaned up, but way too many people expect to get their arse kissed.

I think everyone understands that he is and why he is on the hot seat. The argument, I believe, is it would be a terrible time to fire and replace the head coach.

Top Bottom