Shama: Fans Voice Gopher Basketball Concerns

U do realize if Pitino leaves u start over again ? Your best player Murphy leaves , Coffey doesn't come and u miss out on the stud class in Minnesota just like the Tyus year? People do relize this right? And u have the same record u has this year right? So u willing to wait 4 years to maybe have a shot at being good? Or u add another top 25 class after this years top 25 class with lots of young talent on this team that should make the tournament if u actually follow what is going on. Or wait 4 years?? I would rather win this coming season and add another top 25 class.

U do realize if Pitino leaves u start over again ? Your best player Murphy leaves , Coffey doesn't come and u miss out on the stud class in Minnesota just like the Tyus year? People do relize this right? And u have the same record u has this year right? So u willing to wait 4 years to maybe have a shot at being good? Or u add another top 25 class after this years top 25 class with lots of young talent on this team that should make the tournament if u actually follow what is going on. Or wait 4 years?? I would rather win this coming season and add another top 25 class.

My gut tells me that Coffey is going to the U in spite of Pitino, not because of him. I wouldn't fire him now because it's the end of May, we just hired a new AD, there is a huge buyout if we do fire him, and I'm not sure what kind of coach we could even attract right now....but the comments made by Reuvers are alarming, but from things I've heard, not surprising.

You realize we're starting over right now?

My gut tells me that Coffey is going to the U in spite of Pitino, not because of him. I wouldn't fire him now because it's the end of May, we just hired a new AD, there is a huge buyout if we do fire him, and I'm not sure what kind of coach we could even attract right now....but the comments made by Reuvers are alarming, but from things I've heard, not surprising.

Really!!!!!!!! Where has he ever said anything bad about Pitino? Also when you are as highly rated as Coffey you have options. Even now he could probably find a landing spot for next year if he needed too. Nobody goes to a school when they are as good as coffey where they hate the coach. Go home you're drunk.

Need to see the schedule first. We won't know that until August, probably?

Horse****.

How many wins are you expecting PITINO to get this coming year if he coaches it?

I don't think it matters. With the new AD I don't think he survives not making the NCAA tournament next season. That seems to be the expectation from people on this board based on the transfers and the recruiting class coming in.

I don't think it matters. With the new AD I don't think he survives not making the NCAA tournament next season. That seems to be the expectation from people on this board based on the transfers and the recruiting class coming in.

My personal expectation for next year isn't NCAA tournament. But I wouldn't be surprised if that is his bosses expectation.

Pitino is certainly scheduling like he wants in the tourney too.

Certainly a pressure filled year. Be fun (or terrible) to see how the guys respond.

The new AD will make the decision but give him a little time to asses the situation.
Unless there is another 'scandal' involving players or the coach nothing will be done until this season is over.
Pitino was way over his head in every way as a HC in the BIG when he came.
Can he grow into the job is the real question.

Pitino is certainly scheduling like he wants in the tourney too.

I'm presuming you mean the NCAA tourney. I think that's TBD until we see the entire non-conference schedule. Largely depends on what he does with their 4 exempt games, whether or not they're playing in the Men Who Speak Up Main Event in Vegas, and if not, with whom they replace those games (2 of Alabama/BYU/Valpo), all likely solid opponents.

When the non-conference schedule is released, I think it'll be very apparent whether Pitino is scheduling to make the NIT (with an eye on saving his job) or scheduling to give the Gophers a realistic shot at a NCAA bid (showing his confidence they can beat good teams NOW). At this juncture, like you, I'm optimistic he's scheduling for the latter. Time will tell.

I don't think that would be starting over, that would be a 4-5 game improvement.

Depends on who the wins are against.

Some wins vs. MSU, Badgers, Indiana, Purdue among those 6 or 7?

Or bulk of 'em vs. Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State, and Rutgers?

The former probably means there's been significant improvement, perhaps not that much the latter?

Depends on who the wins are against. Some wins vs. MSU, Badgers, Indiana, Purdue among those 6 or 7? Or bulk of 'em vs. Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State, and Rutgers? The former probably means there's been significant improvement, perhaps not that much the latter?

I don't know, Northwestern and Nebraska are pretty vaunted opponents for the Gophers :)

Dunkers...

I don't go to all the Dunkers functions, but try to make them when it works out (I won't be going to the track). Having said that, on at least 2 ocassions this past basketball season, members of Pitino's staff were there and addressed our group. So, I have trouble with the "as far as I know" line...

Way too much hearsay and pilling on rumors. Can wait for Pitino and the guys to make you all eat crow. And not a single sole of the critics will admit they were wrong. They will all jump on the bandwagon and nit pick about how much playing time each player gets. Either you are with us or against us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way too much hearsay and pilling on rumors. Can wait for Pitino and the guys to make you all eat crow. And not a single sole of the critics will admit they were wrong. They will all jump on the bandwagon and nit pick about how much playing time each player gets. Either you are with us or against us. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POLLYANNA!!!!

Way too much hearsay and pilling on rumors. Can wait for Pitino and the guys to make you all eat crow. And not a single sole of the critics will admit they were wrong. They will all jump on the bandwagon and nit pick about how much playing time each player gets. Either you are with us or against us.
What will he have to do to constitute the critics eating crow?

Too bad Ozzy Osbourne isn't a booster. He wouldn't hesitate to eat crow

I don't go to all the Dunkers functions, but try to make them when it works out (I won't be going to the track). Having said that, on at least 2 ocassions this past basketball season, members of Pitino's staff were there and addressed our group. So, I have trouble with the "as far as I know" line...
Thank you - and from their events page, it doesn't look like they've sponsored anything but game day related events.

What will he have to do to constitute the critics eating crow?

I think he has to make the NCAA tournament to really shut anyone down. Making the NIT would be a nice turnaround season, and might be good enough to save his job especially if there were no further off-court issues, but he would still have detractors. If no NCAA and no NIT I think there is a better chance than not that he is cut loose.

Dunkers...

I'm not a "tenured Dunker", but I know much of what they do goes unpublicized, which is probably too bad as they are then underappreciated. I know they have purchased basketball specific equipment for the team in the past as well as other uncovered needs of the program. This past year with the help of former Gophers, Abu-Shamala & Hoffarber, they are trying to set up a network of opportunities for existing & former players to connect with local businessmen. The game day related events is by no means their focus.

I'm not a "tenured Dunker", but I know much of what they do goes unpublicized, which is probably too bad as they are then underappreciated. I know they have purchased basketball specific equipment for the team in the past as well as other uncovered needs of the program. This past year with the help of former Gophers, Abu-Shamala & Hoffarber, they are trying to set up a network of opportunities for existing & former players to connect with local businessmen. The game day related events is by no means their focus.

So basically they are like a booster club for a local high school team. So, do they sell candy bars or pizzas to raise funds?

2444c693e5dbf943da178d1e86727473.jpg

As far as Pitino not having empathy for his players, you just need to look at this picture I took as the Gophers went to timeout in the blowout against Nebraska. The team was huddled off to his right (the left side of the picture) with the assistants and here is the head coach still sitting down, looking at his tie.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1e9affac2a3004387f153da1fd40bc19.jpg

Same game different timeout.

This isn't happening... also Shama seems to be in direct contact with Ewert86PC! or another Gopherhole poster who has argued for renegotiation(which isn't going to happen).

(I might have mixed up who argued for renegotiation but Ewert86PC did argue for attempting to fire Pitino without paying him the buyout)
I now feel left out. Shama never emailed me. All these comments come from people who don't know me. (sarcasm alert!) Hmmmm... Must be a conspiracy. (end sarcasm)

Both pictures show assistants sitting next to him and one of the managers sitting behind him.

Top Bottom