Shama: Fans Voice Gopher Basketball Concerns

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Last week I emailed about 20 passionate Gophers basketball fans to gauge their concerns. I asked the following two questions:

What is your assessment of the men’s basketball program?

What, if anything, should the Athletic Department and the President’s office do right now about the program?

The first response came from someone who decades ago provided corporate support to the program. Still a follower of the program, his frustration was obvious in his brief response: “A ‘basketball program’ does not exist. President and AD should renegotiate Pitino buyout, (and) then do it.”

Another email responder also described his emotions. “I’m embarrassed by the basketball program and ashamed to discuss it with friends from other states. I never thought this could happen to the University of Minnesota. Even when the football team had several terrible seasons we weren’t embarrassed by the behavior of the team members.

“The basketball team has the lowest GPA of any Gopher sport and way too many scandals. …Obviously, Kaler should never have approved a $7 million buyout that was negotiated by a failure of an athletic director. This is a disgrace and I’m ashamed of my beloved University.”

Brad Ernst has been a season ticket holder since 1978 and he, too, wants Pitino gone now. “(The) team seems clueless about how to play and act. Staff seems clueless about what to teach and whom to recruit. …I would like someone from the Athletic Department to call me, and try and convince me why I should entertain renewing my season tickets.”

Ernst’s friend John Wagenaar read the comments above and responded this way: “I don’t for one minute think Pitino can clean up his huge mess, and (he) will only contribute to it as time goes on. Cut your losses and blame it all on that…(former) AD you hired. I think the players have very little respect, affection or loyalty for their coach.”

Gophers fan Tom Klas recognizes the realities of the current program but took a supportive position on the coach. “Richard Pitino appears to be a good person, and he may know the mechanics of basketball very well, but he hasn’t established himself as being someone who can find those individuals who are capable of being standout basketball players who can behave well and face the rigor of university level academics.

“He is in that…position of having to find individuals who are mature and who can play basketball at the top level of Division I competition, while simultaneously making the basketball program competitive again. Should he be allowed to continue to coach? Absolutely.”

Former Gophers basketball player Larry Overskei, who believes the program is in a state of “shambles,” was a season ticket holder for almost 40 years. He gave up his tickets awhile back because of frustrations with the loyalty (donor) program and seat locations. “We have better coaches at the high school level in Minnesota than Richard Pitino. …In all fairness…he is in over his head. Our Athletic Department performed a huge disservice to our loyal fans and the fans of the state of Minnesota. We are told to be patient. Patience when we cannot even beat South Dakota and the likes.”

Another former Gopher player asked that his name not be used but he too wrote a critical response. He believes Pitino’s communications need improvement. “His pure coaching skills may be adequate but the way he interacts with people leaves much to be desired. First, he doesn’t seem to have empathy for his players. If you watch a Michigan State game you see a mutual admiration, and respect between players and coach (Tom Izzo). We do not have that.

“Next, all successful big time coaches have an excellent rapport with their alumni and booster clubs. Richard couldn’t find 15 minutes to greet our past players at last year’s alumni lunch, and hasn’t been to any similar events I have attended. The Golden Dunkers (booster) group, which is made up of businessmen and past players, has supported and interacted with every coach I know of since for sure 1970. Richard has not been to one meeting, nor sent an ambassador from the team as far as I know.”

There were other email responses, too, including one that suggested the failures of the basketball program are symptomatic of the University’s wish to de-emphasize athletics. I am not sure about that, but I do know there is a crisis in public confidence about basketball in Dinkytown. My in-box supports that view.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Wow! That's some nasty stuff. I still have my years long previously stated reservations about whether Richard can manage a roster or players. However, I disagree with the comments he can't coach a basketball game.
It just makes sense to me to allow him to coach the coming season, provided things are quiet between now and the start of the season. Things need to go well but we could have a nice season next year. It could also easily go south. Only time will answer. After next season, we hopefully have our Athletic Director on solid ground and visible progress on our facilities. Hopefully, we retain the better players on our roster going forward.
Those things happen and it seems to me we are an attractive basketball job for a proven up and coming coach or an unhappy established respected one. Patience.

Most troubling to me are the comments about The Golden Dunkers. You can't alienate solid groups of fans and backers like that. Certainly hope he gets another year, but only if there's a decent chance he can right the ship. That means not only on the court, but, more importantly, off the court as well. Maybe unfair, but Richard's main role model might have been a poor example of how to succeed as a basketball coach at Minnesota. Arrogance, ignoring conduct, not connecting with fans, bending rules, etc. might work when you have a resume like Dad. Not so much when this is your first major job at a place with problems coming in. New AD gets to earn his salary very soon.

I think Pitino is either going to be fired after next season or he's going to have some level of success over the next year or two and bolt at the first opportunity. The piling on from all corners, especially over the last few weeks, has become toxic. Who would want to work in that environment?

Was his papa an arrogant ass 4 years into being a head coach with a losing record? I'm surprised he is blocking off the Dunkers. Lots of potential help from those folks.

Looks like the gopherhole emailed shama.

I think this is just a shame.

Pitino is going to be a great assistant coach at OKC sometime soon I think.

Was his papa an arrogant ass 4 years into being a head coach with a losing record? I'm surprised he is blocking off the Dunkers. Lots of potential help from those folks.

An arrogant ass who takes the blame for every mistake and failing in the program. That feels a little contradictory.

FWIW. I don't think Pitino is arrogant per se, but he is incredibly confident and frankly I love that. I hate coaches and athletes who pretend to be humble, much rather have my coaches like Pitino coming in and saying we screwed up and we will fix it and we will achieve great things. Realize people in MN typically prefer guys like Kill and their "Aw shucks" personality. The more confidence the better to me IMO.

Scher215- Spot on.

I find it interesting Shama asked for 20 responses and only shared 7. Wonder what the other 13 said....or didn't say!

When Pitino won the NIT the relationship with his father and their personas we're so hip and cool. Now he's labeled as an arrogant ass. If he wins next year he'll be called driven and eccentric. Winning is the only fix.

When Pitino won the NIT the relationship with his father and their personas we're so hip and cool. Now he's labeled as an arrogant ass. If he wins next year he'll be called driven and eccentric. Winning is the only fix.

Agreed.

I'm not saying he is an arrogant ass but it sure sounds like Shama is. I think writers think he is a chip off the old block without actually making a determination based on Richard's own personality.

Funny how he says Pitino ignores the Dunkers the same day there is a thread about joining Pitino and the Dunkers at Canterbury!

I'm not saying he is an arrogant ass but it sure sounds like Shama is. I think writers think he is a chip off the old block without actually making a determination based on Richard's own personality. Funny how he says Pitino ignores the Dunkers the same day there is a thread about joining Pitino and the Dunkers at Canterbury!

My mistake :) sorry about that!

per Shama:

The first response came from someone who decades ago provided corporate support to the program. Still a follower of the program, his frustration was obvious in his brief response: “A ‘basketball program’ does not exist. President and AD should renegotiate Pitino buyout, (and) then do it.”

Go Gophers!!

This isn't happening... also Shama seems to be in direct contact with Ewert86PC! or another Gopherhole poster who has argued for renegotiation(which isn't going to happen).

(I might have mixed up who argued for renegotiation but Ewert86PC did argue for attempting to fire Pitino without paying him the buyout)

Ewert86 most definitely has emailed Shama, written on every strib comment section and told all of his friends about how he feels Pitino sucks.

he is that guy.

Sharma should have reached out to the grandchildren of these fans to hear their opinion of how curmudgeonly they behave in day to day situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying he is an arrogant ass but it sure sounds like Shama is. I think writers think he is a chip off the old block without actually making a determination based on Richard's own personality.

Funny how he says Pitino ignores the Dunkers the same day there is a thread about joining Pitino and the Dunkers at Canterbury!

I saw that as well.

The Golden Dunkers (booster) group, which is made up of businessmen and past players, has supported and interacted with every coach I know of since for sure 1970. Richard has not been to one meeting, nor sent an ambassador from the team as far as I know.

This is a useless quote. I'm not extremely confident when someone says "as far as I know".

I don't think it's a coincidence that Pitino is doing an event with the Golden Dunkers. Someone at the U - Kaler, Coyle, Goetz? - has obviously told Pitino that, if he wants to keep his job, that he has to be more accommodating with the media, and pay more attention to the boosters.

This is part of a planned PR offensive. The U knows they can't dump Pitino because of the buyout, so they're trying to improve his public image. good luck.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Pitino is doing an event with the Golden Dunkers. Someone at the U - Kaler, Coyle, Goetz? - has obviously told Pitino that, if he wants to keep his job, that he has to be more accommodating with the media, and pay more attention to the boosters.

This is part of a planned PR offensive. The U knows they can't dump Pitino because of the buyout, so they're trying to improve his public image. good luck.
Yup

I saw that as well.

This is a useless quote. I'm not extremely confident when someone says "as far as I know".
The Golden Dunker that I know would say otherwise, so the as far as I know part of the quote is to cover his own ass

An arrogant ass who takes the blame for every mistake and failing in the program. That feels a little contradictory.

FWIW. I don't think Pitino is arrogant per se, but he is incredibly confident and frankly I love that. I hate coaches and athletes who pretend to be humble, much rather have my coaches like Pitino coming in and saying we screwed up and we will fix it and we will achieve great things. Realize people in MN typically prefer guys like Kill and their "Aw shucks" personality. The more confidence the better to me IMO.

What is he suppose to do? He has no choice, but to take blame. I think that is the easiest thing he has done all season is to call a bunch of radio stations and "take the blame."

I think it's to late already.

What is he suppose to do? He has not choice, but to take blame. I think that is the easiest thing he has done all season is to call a bunch of radio stations and "take the blame."

I think it's to lake already.
You think or you want it to be?

Most troubling to me are the comments about The Golden Dunkers. You can't alienate solid groups of fans and backers like that. Certainly hope he gets another year, but only if there's a decent chance he can right the ship. That means not only on the court, but, more importantly, off the court as well. Maybe unfair, but Richard's main role model might have been a poor example of how to succeed as a basketball coach at Minnesota. Arrogance, ignoring conduct, not connecting with fans, bending rules, etc. might work when you have a resume like Dad. Not so much when this is your first major job at a place with problems coming in. New AD gets to earn his salary very soon.
I see I posted my comment on the wrong thread.
The Golden Dunkers have been pretty absent for quite a few years. I've been a season ticket holder for 18 and haven't heard anything from them since they gave away a moped enough years back that Bleed was impressed with my memory.
So that was one of the least troubling to me. The job of the Golden Dunkers should be to support the BB program. I'd like evidence that they've been doing that. Perhaps they have but they have certainly dropped out of sight - that shouldn't be up to the coach. Bleed agreed with me on another thread that they are much less active than the goal line club - their equivalent in FB.

one that suggested the failures of the basketball program are symptomatic of the University’s wish to de-emphasize athletics

Organizations quite often spend a half-billion dollars on things they wish to de-emphasize.

You think or you want it to be?

Both. What he says doesn't match the on and off court product. He uses the classic, do and ask for forgiveness later. He needs to go back and ride the coattails of dad or Donovan.

Both. What he says doesn't match the on and off court product. He uses the classic, do and ask for forgiveness later. He needs to go back and ride the coattails of dad or Donovan.
Glad to know we've got fans who want the program to fail

It is failing and I want it to change.

And if it does with the current coach at the helm will you be okay with that? Or do you want it to be too late no matter what for him?

And if it does with the current coach at the helm will you be okay with that? Or do you want it to be too late no matter what for him?

If that's the current AD's choice I'm ok with it. I understand that a change before next season doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom