ESPN's Mitch Sherman discusses potential Big Ten expansion; division realignment

My guess is that there will eventually will be a P4 with each conference having 16 teams. If the B1G adds two teams which seems likely, I would like us nab Georgia Tech out of the ACC. They have excellent academics and would give the B1G a big presence in the Atlanta market. The one other ACC school I like a lot is Virginia but we already have Maryland and the DC market covered.

Since geography has already gone out the window, TX would be a great place to have a presence for both recruiting and television. Although UT is the biggest fish in the Big 12, I'm worried they would poison the B1G waters. I'm not sure if TCU carries enough weight but I like their fan base, good academics, and the Dallas/Fort Worth market presence. Plus, very easy to fly into and out of DFW. If Rutgers works for the NYC market, why not TCU for DFW?

The rest of the Big 12 are non-starters for me. Oklahoma and Kansas are the best of the rest but are fly over states that don't add much value academically and limited financial bang for the buck. I don't see any PAC schools making much sense and I doubt any of the schools would be interested in joining the B1G. I don't care for any of the independents and don't even get me started on ND. If we could rob the SEC of a team which seems highly unlikely, A&M would be a enormous get with their massive television viewership plus excellent academics. The only other schools I like out of the SEC are Vandy and Mizzou but lack a bit when it comes to their market potential.

Now if I could be B1G Commissioner for a day, I would kick out PSU and Rutgers and replace them with a couple of the aforementioned schools. Plus, I would pass a resolution banning any talk about the f'ing 'lil elves from ever joining our conference.

If you factor in that ND gets to keep 100% of their bowl revenue does it even out? They like to think they can get a BCS type bowl every year and may just want to keep the payouts. They also might just want to avoid the B1G schedule. Committing to several games against ACC opponents is a lot easier than doing the same with the SEC or B1G. They still play the service academies for Christ's sake! You really think they want to join the B1G east and play OSU, MSU, UM, Penn State, and Rutgers every year when they can feast on the Cadets and Midshipmen every year?

(Rutgers was a joke)

I always though ND got the same share that a conference's 2nd team would get. Not the full conference share.

My guess is that there will eventually will be a P4 with each conference having 16 teams. If the B1G adds two teams which seems likely, I would like us nab Georgia Tech out of the ACC. They have excellent academics and would give the B1G a big presence in the Atlanta market. The one other ACC school I like a lot is Virginia but we already have Maryland and the DC market covered.

Since geography has already gone out the window, TX would be a great place to have a presence for both recruiting and television. Although UT is the biggest fish in the Big 12, I'm worried they would poison the B1G waters. I'm not sure if TCU carries enough weight but I like their fan base, good academics, and the Dallas/Fort Worth market presence. Plus, very easy to fly into and out of DFW. If Rutgers works for the NYC market, why not TCU for DFW?

The rest of the Big 12 are non-starters for me. Oklahoma and Kansas are the best of the rest but are fly over states that don't add much value academically and limited financial bang for the buck. I don't see any PAC schools making much sense and I doubt any of the schools would be interested in joining the B1G. I don't care for any of the independents and don't even get me started on ND. If we could rob the SEC of a team which seems highly unlikely, A&M would be a enormous get with their massive television viewership plus excellent academics. The only other schools I like out of the SEC are Vandy and Mizzou but lack a bit when it comes to their market potential.

Now if I could be B1G Commissioner for a day, I would kick out PSU and Rutgers and replace them with a couple of the aforementioned schools. Plus, I would pass a resolution banning any talk about the f'ing 'lil elves from ever joining our conference.

I'd be very surprised if B1G booted Rutgers...NY market way too valuable. People out there watch to see the other B1G teams come through. Maybe ten years ago Mizzou/Kansas would have made some sense, but not now. Other schools you mentioned are mostly FB strong and really drop off after that sport, and some don't fit the B1G academic profile

B1G is really in the driver's seat on this right now...that's why I would go after Stanford and the Irish. Like them or not (Holtz hangover), Irish are unique, so people need to get over it. Both bring strong FB and BB teams and good teams top to bottom. Huge alum all over the US.

Top Bottom