Mike Thorne gets 6th year of eligibility for Illinois

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Significant good news for a program in need of some.

The ruling seems a little unusual because Thorne injured his knee in November, then returned Jan. 19 vs. Indiana, only to re-injure the knee and not play again. Usually if a guy plays that deep into the season (it was the Illini's 19th game) he's not going to get the extra year.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

They'll need him, hope he can stay healthy, but the words big man and knee injuries are usually a recipe for disaster

How about their 17 suspended players? (Throwing stones from my glass home here)

More Illini news; Jaylon Tate reinstated

Significant good news for a program in need of some.

The ruling seems a little unusual because Thorne injured his knee in November, then returned Jan. 19 vs. Indiana, only to re-injure the knee and not play again. Usually if a guy plays that deep into the season (it was the Illini's 19th game) he's not going to get the extra year.

That is big for the Illini. I guess I'm not too surprised by it though. He did comeback briefly later in the season only to get hurt again, but he played in fewer games than both Banham in 2014-15 and Amile Jefferson from Duke this past season. And they both got medical redshirts. Not sure exactly what the criteria are for deciding who gets one. I know the percentage of games played is a factor, but can't recall what the guideline is.

Illinois boots Kendrick Nunn off team

Top Bottom