ABC/ESPN might not be part of next B1G media rights package

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

http://espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=gen&id=15579289

Sports Business Journal, citing sources, reported last month the Big Ten was close to selling half its media rights to Fox for $250 million annually as part of a six-year deal. If that happens, ESPN along with perhaps another network or two could pick up the remaining half.

None of the athletic directors were blinking at least publicly about the possibility of the Big Ten breaking ties with the leading sports network.

"I think ESPN has value," Hollis said. "But at the same time, that value has to attach to what our value is. That's what the conversation piece is. The important brand for us is the Big Ten Conference and not any one television entity."

Eichorst said there is no "concern" about the possibility that ESPN won't be part of the next media deal.

"I think folks thought Jim was way outside the box with the Big Ten Network back in the day," he said. "I don't see any hand-wringing in the room or any anxious folks in the room about what the platform might look like. I think we all suspect that it will be very robust."

Wasn't this floated as a possibility / negotiating tactic the last round?

Declaring all out war on ESecPN might not be in the conference's best interest. Definitely hate some aspects of ESPN, but you cannot deny its influence and ubiquity.

Would like a part of the package to be with ESPN of course, but won't shed a tear if B1G walks away.

We both need each other, but if FOX is backing a Brinks truck up to conference headquarters I say take the big money.

Declaring all out war on ESecPN might not be in the conference's best interest. Definitely hate some aspects of ESPN, but you cannot deny its influence and ubiquity.

ESPN appears to already have maxed out in value and appears to be on a downturn. They were the ONLY choice forever and they were the best. They are NOT the only choice anymore and Fox will continue to grow. I can't watch most of ESPN's shows any longer and I was a junkie for a long time. I see them on the MTV Curve. They can re-invent themselves, but it won't be to many of the folks that supported them in the beginning. It isn't a bad thing. More football on more channels is fine with me.

ESPN appears to already have maxed out in value and appears to be on a downturn. They were the ONLY choice forever and they were the best. They are NOT the only choice anymore and Fox will continue to grow. I can't watch most of ESPN's shows any longer and I was a junkie for a long time. I see them on the MTV Curve. They can re-invent themselves, but it won't be to many of the folks that supported them in the beginning. It isn't a bad thing. More football on more channels is fine with me.
Good thing they invested in a new $125 million sportscenter studio despite its plummeting ratings!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is it just me, or is saying it is "abundantly clear" that something "might not" happen a weird sentence that doesn't say much?

Abundantly clear that Mitch Leidner might not get drafted.

Abundantly clear that Mark Coyle might not be a fan of Richard Pitino.

Abundantly clear that my dog might not poop on the rug.

I would love to see the fall of ESPN. They've been getting too big for their britches for awhile now.

Is it just me, or is saying it is "abundantly clear" that something "might not" happen a weird sentence that doesn't say much?

Abundantly clear that Mitch Leidner might not get drafted.

Abundantly clear that Mark Coyle might not be a fan of Richard Pitino.

Abundantly clear that my dog might not poop on the rug.

I'm 100% sure I might win the lottery this weekend.

It's a media thing, like Betteridge's law of headlines.

Wow- thanks for posting. I had never read that article before. It's kind of funny to read about the feud between Delany and Shapiro at ESPN.

I'm currently reading the book "Inside the world of ESPN" that is referenced in the article. Shapiro comes off as one of those guys you either love or hate. The book strongly suggests that Shapiro screwed up the NFL negotiations that led to NBC getting the Sunday night package, leaving ESPN with a less-prestigious Monday Night football package.

Coaches still want ESPN. I think they'll be involved

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

I want ESPN to fail. It is sports TMZ, with bad shows, and annoying talking heads. Sportscenter jumped the shark 15 years ago.

I want ESPN to fail. It is sports TMZ, with bad shows, and annoying talking heads. Sportscenter jumped the shark 15 years ago.

More importantly, it's an unnecessary show in the internet era. Back in the day I'd watch not knowing who won the games they were showing. Now I can look up the score of the specific game I want along with highlights whenever I want.

More importantly, it's an unnecessary show in the internet era. Back in the day I'd watch not knowing who won the games they were showing. Now I can look up the score of the specific game I want along with highlights whenever I want.

Great point as well.

Maybe someone can follow that up with some Coors cold hard facts or some other corporate sponsored waste of air time that adds no value to anything or anyone watching the program.

They see with the rising talent, and consistency of teams in the Big Ten East staying in the top 25, that it would be dumb to not have a part of the Big Ten Media rights package.

I watch espn because some Gopher games are on their network. PTI is great ....the rest is unwatchable and overpriced.

Their arrogance compares with the NFL.

Top Bottom