Shooter: Jerry Kill to Kansas State, possible announcement tomorrow

You've just described the dead wood in administration at any large business or organization.

I guess that's my point. This is a fly on the butt of all the world's problems, but I can never get over how the jockocracy takes care of its own. And truth be told, it's not just the jockocracy. Happens in business all the time when the VP in charge of butt-kissing and apple-polishing is appointed.

Why tie the new AD at MN to the past by having Kill be part of TC's fate?
If a new FB HC is needed in the near future it should be crystal clear that only new AD made the decision.
Snyder is 76 and retired once only to come back.
He is indeed a legend there.
Perhaps the AD at KS ST wants a buffer to bear some of the responsibility about Snyder's fate and his replacement.

I continue to be stumped that so many think Claeys would be negatively influenced by Kill. Claeys has amply demonstrated he marches to his own drummer and he's in charge. Love him or hate him, Kill had a positive influence on the team, culture, recruiting, fundraising, APR.

We would do well to try and emulate what Snyder has done at K-State. Throwing proven commodities to the side of the road is questionable at best IMO. Let the rationalizing continue.

Does anybody know, is this a Head Liaison or Assistant Liaison position :confused:

Is it sort of like grip vs key grip in movie production?

Gotta say the position gave myself and all of my IT staff colleagues a laugh this morning... Jerry has sort of become the real life version of "Office Space" Tom Smykowski in college athletics

I continue to be stumped that so many think Claeys would be negatively influenced by Kill. Claeys has amply demonstrated he marches to his own drummer and he's in charge. Love him or hate him, Kill had a positive influence on the team, culture, recruiting, fundraising, APR.

We would do well to try and emulate what Snyder has done at K-State. Throwing proven commodities to the side of the road is questionable at best IMO. Let the rationalizing continue.

I'll pass on the 'negatively influenced' aspect as I don't know if that is true.

Kill's value though was as a head coach. Players don't get tattoos of the AD in charge of football or whatever non coaching job he is given. I don't think that value necessarily follows him for long when he is not the guy running the football program. Particularly for Minnesota, when he doesn't even live here....

Is it sort of like grip vs key grip in movie production?

Gotta say the position gave myself and all of my IT staff colleagues a laugh this morning... Jerry has sort of become the real life version of "Office Space" Tom Smykowski in college athletics

If you have time to laugh then one of you is expendable. Just kidding....sort of

Back to work.

I'll pass on the 'negatively influenced' aspect as I don't know if that is true.

Kill's value though was as a head coach. Players don't get tattoos of the AD in charge of football or whatever non coaching job he is given. I don't think that value necessarily follows him for long when he is not the guy running the football program. Particularly for Minnesota, when he doesn't even live here....

So why on Gods Green earth would a K-State legend think to bring on Kill? No value at all?

A) If Claeys marches to his own drummer, is in charge and wanted Jerry Kill involved, he probably would've pushed for it. Dan Obrien gets added to the coaching staff and Jerry replaces Dan.

B) Jerry Kill is not a proven commodity as an athletics administrator.

So why on Gods Green earth would a K-State legend think to bring on Kill? No value at all?

They must think there is value, but so what?

I suspect they're really just putting Jerry on hold to head coach again, but that's another matter.

Perfect scenario has played out over the last week, a new AD for us and now Jerry is off the market. We no longer have to worry about his influence or the fact we haven't given him a job.

Snyder is 76. I fully expect that Jerry Kill will help hire his replacement...and don't be surprised if Claeys, who has a ****ty contract, isn't in the running for the position after next years 9 win season. While many on this board seem to think that Jerry at UofM would have Claeys looking over his shoulder, Claeys says otherwise.

The man worked for JK for almost 20 years and only took the HC position after Kill called it quits. I think Claeys is just fine working for JK and if the U doesn't pay Claeys for real after next season, I suspect TC is homeward bound as well.

Snyder is 76. I fully expect that Jerry Kill will help hire his replacement...and don't be surprised if Claeys, who has a ****ty contract, isn't in the running for the position after next years 9 win season. While many on this board seem to think that Jerry at UofM would have Claeys looking over his shoulder, Claeys says otherwise.

The man worked for JK for almost 20 years and only took the HC position after Kill called it quits. I think Claeys is just fine working for JK and if the U doesn't pay Claeys for real after next season, I suspect TC is homeward bound as well.

If that's how it plays out that's fine, if we lose a coach to another school it will be an incredible achievement.

If Claeys wins here he will get paid. That said I could see him being someone that K-State would take a hard look at when Snyder finally retires for good. But before he becomes a legit candidate to replace a hall of fame coach he has to prove he can get it done on his own first.

Naw Kill will hire Limegrover.

So...Pitino doesn't fill up the car with gas and The "U" gets charged $20 and he is considered "entitled" and "out of touch".

But that same University should have manufactured a job for Jerry Kill and paid him well just because he wanted to stay involved?

So...Pitino doesn't fill up the car with gas and The "U" gets charged $20 and he is considered "entitled" and "out of touch".

But that same University should have manufactured a job for Jerry Kill and paid him well just because he wanted to stay involved?

Here's the key for you when it comes to sports:

Wins = good.

Losses = bad.

This extends to everything.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u11bW317sFk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Makes sense. Gives Kill a chance to try it out and gives K-State and out if it isn't a good fit or he has health issues.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

That's pretty much nothing $ value wise. I'm guessing Jerry doesn't plan to spend a great deal of time on that, keep on giving talks and etc.

With new revenue and TV contracts, I really don't see Coaches running from any Big Ten or SEC job. The Power 5 is becoming the Power 2 right now.

Some feel Kill and Claeys would have been able to work together - but other people have claimed that Kill was upset when Claeys got rid of Limey and Z. Hard to say what the relationship will be going forward.

I think this is a win-win situation. Jerry Kill gets a job he is apparently happy with, and the Gopher FB program gets to evolve under Claeys without Kill looking over his shoulder - figuratively or literally.

Imagine this scenario: Gophers lose a close game, and the media goes to Gopher Ass't AD Jerry Kill for a comment. That puts both Kill and Claeys in a bad situation.

I will always be grateful to Jerry Kill for helping bring the U out of the Brewster Abyss, and restoring some credibility to the program. His health did not allow him to continue the job. Now, it's up to Claeys to see if he can get the job done. (and if he can't get the job done, there is a new permanent AD to run a coaching search.)

Some feel Kill and Claeys would have been able to work together - but other people have claimed that Kill was upset when Claeys got rid of Limey and Z. Hard to say what the relationship will be going forward.

I think this is a win-win situation. Jerry Kill gets a job he is apparently happy with, and the Gopher FB program gets to evolve under Claeys without Kill looking over his shoulder - figuratively or literally.

Imagine this scenario: Gophers lose a close game, and the media goes to Gopher Ass't AD Jerry Kill for a comment. That puts both Kill and Claeys in a bad situation.

I will always be grateful to Jerry Kill for helping bring the U out of the Brewster Abyss, and restoring some credibility to the program. His health did not allow him to continue the job. Now, it's up to Claeys to see if he can get the job done. (and if he can't get the job done, there is a new permanent AD to run a coaching search.)

Well said. +1

And that would undoubtedly happen.

I'm not in the "hire jerry" crowd but I think Jerry could handle that situation just fine.

I mean what is going to happen? Media demands he take over for a job he quit for health reasons? I don't think that gets much serious traction.

$150 000? This is a part time gig for Kill. What do you think the over under on whether he actually has a residence in Manhattan? I say no and that he stays in a hotel when in town.

They basically just put a high level football mind on retainer for $150K.

Top Bottom