Shooter: Jerry Kill to Kansas State, possible announcement tomorrow

I still fail to see what value Kill brings to KSU and why he is needed. So he gets paid to hang around the football program and be buddies with everyone? Why do they need that? Could he just be an assistant volunteer, like a grad assistant but only not getting credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kill isn't a need, he's a luxury, why not if you can make it work

I still fail to see what value Kill brings to KSU and why he is needed. So he gets paid to hang around the football program and be buddies with everyone? Why do they need that? Could he just be an assistant volunteer, like a grad assistant but only not getting credit.

I'd look at it as more of a consultant position. Someone to bounce things off of. His presence also lends some gravitas to the program. He could even be around during recruiting visits. Parents seemed to love Jerry. Maybe he could beg for money (can't call it fundraising). Jack of all trades and fix-it man. Every organization needs a fixer.

Snyder: "Hey Jerry, What do you think we should do in (insert here) situation?"

Kill: RUTM

Snyder: But,...

Snyder: "Hey Jerry, What do you think we should do in (insert here) situation?"

Snyder: But,...

They're going to establish an identity

I'd look at it as more of a consultant position. Someone to bounce things off of. His presence also lends some gravitas to the program. He could even be around during recruiting visits. Parents seemed to love Jerry. Maybe he could beg for money (can't call it fundraising). Jack of all trades and fix-it man. Every organization needs a fixer.

I think some of you guys are drinking too much of the Jerry Kill kook aid! Kill was just a well regarded, hard working coach when he came to the U. Remember how disappointed many of the fans were because we settled on Kill instead of some bigger name coach. He did a decent job at the U rebuilding the right attitude, but his offense was in a rut and wasn't going to change. We respect him for what he did for us, but let's be truthful here. A couple more years of that same offense and you all would have been called for his head. I am not trying to belittle what he did for us but he is not Knute Rockne. Most high school players don't know him from Tim Brewster. He doesn't add gravitas to a program and a coach that has accomplished much more than he ever has. Take off your homer glasses.

I think some of you guys are drinking too much of the Jerry Kill kook aid! Kill was just a well regarded, hard working coach when he came to the U. Remember how disappointed many of the fans were because we settled on Kill instead of some bigger name coach. He did a decent job at the U rebuilding the right attitude, but his offense was in a rut and wasn't going to change. We respect him for what he did for us, but let's be truthful here. A couple more years of that same offense and you all would have been called for his head. I am not trying to belittle what he did for us but he is not Knute Rockne. Most high school players don't know him from Tim Brewster. He doesn't add gravitas to a program and a coach that has accomplished much more than he ever has. Take off your homer glasses.

It's interesting that you're possibly the biggest Pitino apologist on the board, while telling others to take off their homer glasses regarding Kill. Pitino wouldn't make a pimple on Kill's ass at this point.

I love Jerry, but there were dozens of reasons why he should NOT have stuck around and only a few that he should. No way that an ex-coach should be around looking over his protégé's shoulder...unless he's the AD. All other scenarios suck.

I love Jerry, but there were dozens of reasons why he should NOT have stuck around and only a few that he should. No way that an ex-coach should be around looking over his protégé's shoulder...unless he's the AD. All other scenarios suck.

I think there are a few Wisconsin coaches who would say that scenario sucks too.

Jim Carter chimes in and he is NOT happy. Per Shama:

You can be sure a lot of University of Minnesota loyalists are upset that administrators at the school didn’t offer Jerry Kill a high-level position in the Athletic Department mentoring coaches and student-athletes. Instead, it was announced this week Kill will be working for the Kansas State Athletic Department as an associate athletic director. Former Gophers football captain Jim Carter emailed friends with critical words for the U including this: “Jerry Kill took a job with Kansas State. … The best thing that happened to Gopher football since Murray Warmath just headed off to Kansas!”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

You can be sure a lot of University of Minnesota loyalists are upset that administrators at the school didn’t offer Jerry Kill a high-level position in the Athletic Department mentoring coaches and student-athletes. Instead, it was announced this week Kill will be working for the Kansas State Athletic Department as an associate athletic director. Former Gophers football captain Jim Carter emailed friends with critical words for the U including this: “Jerry Kill took a job with Kansas State. … The best thing that happened to Gopher football since Murray Warmath just headed off to Kansas!”

Go Gophers!!

They would make Murray assistant to secretary of the assistant President?

They think that would create Ws or something?

I think we will all need to agree to disagree on this issue and a few others as well. Fundraising, Pitino, etc.

We will never know all the politics that led to this. Was it a case of Jerry ruffling feathers up and down the athletic dept and admin? Was it Claeys asking Kaler to keep him away? Something else? Personally I suspect the first option but I have no proof other than reading between the lines of events and what's been said over the years.

G'day.

Go Gophers!!

Didn't Kill say he specifically wanted to work with the football team?

Also, it seems lately that these "loyalists" are doing just as much damage to the reputation as anyone else.

How are they doing damage other than ruffling the feathers of those that want to project a facade of tranquility?

Like it or not, the waters are roiling right now and people have different opinions, sometimes stong ones on what is best. The interesting part is that nobody turns on former coaches faster than us. For the most part nobody wanted Kill gone, now many loud people are worried he will upset Claeys somehow, rather than be a steadying force. I wonder if Coyle would have made a different decision.

Didn't Kill say he specifically wanted to work with the football team?

Also, it seems lately that these "loyalists" are doing just as much damage to the reputation as anyone else.

Damn right. The public didn't hear from any of these guys for decades and now many of us wish they'd go back to that status.

Can columnists please, please, pretty please stop getting quotes from this looney bird. Nothing matters less. Nothing.

How one should argue if you disagree with my opinion (per gopherhole)

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/HFmO5XV1N5kha" width="480" height="269" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://giphy.com/gifs/HFmO5XV1N5kha">via GIPHY</a></p>

Gopherhole diplomacy

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/12oL1782utuvok" width="480" height="207" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://giphy.com/gifs/talk-disagree-understanding-12oL1782utuvok">via GIPHY</a></p>

Can we just revoke Carter's degree from the U and ask him to find another team to "support"? With fans like him, who needs enemies?

It's funny how many times I've been criticized for ripping Jim Carter. Massive ego, only social skills were developed as: 1) a coddled hero-worshipped athlete from age 5, and 2) as a shyster car-salesman. You do the math.

Now that his world is sunsetting, this is all he has left. Eventually, through age and infirmity, you become...

Your true self. Good night, Jim.

Top Bottom