PiPress: Tracy Claeys sees '8 to 10 wins' in 2016

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

From vital fundraising to fixing the dented men’s basketball program, new Gophers athletics director Mark Coyle has many challenges awaiting him when he takes the department’s reins in June.

But Gophers football coach Tracy Claeys is confident a 6-7 season in 2015 was an aberration, and his program is poised to be a point of pride for the U this fall.

“I believe this is our best football team since we’ve been here,” Claeys said Monday. “We’ve played well and competed.”

Before being promotion in November, Claeys was Jerry Kill’s defensive coordinator during consecutive eight-win seasons in 2013 and 2014, which included the program’s first New Year’s Day bowl game since 1962.

“It’s hard to put a number on it,” Claeys said about 2016. “Eight to 10 wins. Well, you win nine, and for around here they (haven’t) won 9 games in a (heck of a) long time.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/05/16/gophers-tracy-claeys-sees-8-to-10-wins-in-2016/

Go Gophers!!

Claeys' remarks to the PP are quoted here as well:

http://saturdaytradition.com/minnesota-football/claeys-eight-10-wins-2016/

"'It’s hard to put a number on it,' Claeys said about 2016 to the Pioneer Press. 'Eight to 10 wins. Well, you win nine, and for around here they (haven’t) won 9 games in a (heck of a) long time.'

Claeys is right. The last time Minnesota hit nine wins was in 2003, when Glen Mason led the Gophers to a 10-win season and a Sun Bowl victory against Oregon. In fact, that was the only time Minnesota won nine games since it joined the B1G in 1953."

:facepalm:

"'It’s hard to put a number on it,' Claeys said about 2016 to the Pioneer Press. 'Eight to 10 wins. Well, you win nine, and for around here they (haven’t) won 9 games in a (heck of a) long time.'

Claeys is right. The last time Minnesota hit nine wins was in 2003, when Glen Mason led the Gophers to a 10-win season and a Sun Bowl victory against Oregon. In fact, that was the only time Minnesota won nine games since it joined the B1G in 1953."

Give him a break, he's only off by over a half-century.

So anything less than 8 is a disappointment? Haven't I been saying that for 6 months? Actually, I included 8 wins as being disappointing, which it still would be.

So anything less than 8 is a disappointment? Haven't I been saying that for 6 months? Actually, I included 8 wins as being disappointing, which it still would be.

When you look at last season, how can 8 wins be disappointing? It would mean we are getting back on track. Also, when you consider the move to 9 conference games and that we have 5 road games as a result, 8 seems like a fairly good season. If you mean 8 wins doesn't move the dial then I can see your point. Every game on the schedule has the potential to be a win. Some less so than others of course.

By historical standards, 8 wins is a good season for Gopher Football. If I count correctly, the U of M has had 17 seasons with 8 or more wins - since 1892. That is 124 years. That averages to an 8 win season once every 7.3 years.

Don't want to start an argument here (still recovering from the heart attack!), but if someone feels that 8 wins is a disappointing season for Gopher FB, then you need to re-examine the program's history, and adjust your expectations.

I think this team has the potential to win 8 or 9 games - maybe more- but 1 or 2 key injuries can throw that all out the window.

I would be happy with 8 wins, extremely happy with 9 and jumping for joy with 10. When looking at the past, however, you have to look at winning percentage as the number of games is so much higher. When the Gophers went 8-2 in 1961 they has an a 80% winning percentage season. The 10 win 2003 team had a 77% winning percentage season. Of course the 13 game season is much tougher, but there are many more players on the roster.

Count me as disappointed with a 8 win season. I'm aware of our history and last year's disappointment. This is the easiest conference schedule we'll ever have in a 14 team Big Ten. Three-year starter, senior QB, four upper classmen in the O line, two superb RBs. Eight wins means a likely 5-4 conference record. At this stage of the Kills/Claeys era and those circumstances ... disappointing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If it's 8 better include axe or floyd

I see 8 wins and I would be moderately satisfied with that.

I am lost. Help me here. Are you confusing Minnesota with Michigan State? What part of Golden Gopher history am I missing? I mean we are charter members of the Western Conference formed at a conclave at the Palmer House in Chicago hosted by the Chancellor of Purdue University. It was 1896 was it not? I don't think we joined the "B1G". The "B1G" (I hate that acronym) happened to us. There are only 4 Big Ten teams who are original charter members of the Western Conference that have never left (Michigan, Northwestern, Chicago), even for one season (Northwestern) and later rejoined, and have never dropped out (Chicago) altogether. It is only fitting that the 4 stalwart charter members of the Western Conference form the core of the Big Ten West (Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota). We are not an expansion team (university) like Iowa (1899), Indiana (1899), Ohio State (1912), Michigan State (1953), Penn State, Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers. I don't remember what year that last 4 joined. PSU was around 1990 or 1991. Look at the broken Governor's Victory Bell to find out. So where is it that I missed us joining the B1G in 1953? Was that the year Tug Wilson renamed the Western Conference the Big Ten Conference? Sorry if interpretation of history is off base.

When you look at last season, how can 8 wins be disappointing? It would mean we are getting back on track. Also, when you consider the move to 9 conference games and that we have 5 road games as a result, 8 seems like a fairly good season. If you mean 8 wins doesn't move the dial then I can see your point. Every game on the schedule has the potential to be a win. Some less so than others of course.

Because we are asked to believe that injuries made last year an aberration, and 8 wins would mean we haven't taken a single step forward since two years ago despite having a much easier schedule.

I don't think Tracy can say anything else.

With a new head coach, the heart of the team with the old head coach, a new offensive coordinator.... I'm not sure what to expect. I think 8 is both the bottom and anything more is fairly successful.

I'm actually upset TC isn't expecting more. 8-10. Yawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those who expect eight or nine wins this upcoming season, that's one thing. Those who think eight or nine wins is some major accomplishment represent everything that is wrong with this program. In that skunk cesspool to our east, eight or nine wins is a down year. If you win 10 games in Lincoln, you probably have a new head coach the following year. Even the hog-eyes go double-digits from time to time.

While I think it is unrealistic to have double-digit wins year in and year out, I do expect that at least once every few years we have a season with 10 or more wins. I think this year's team and schedule sets us up nicely for nine or more wins. Eight wins is, at best, so-so. Seven or less wins is a continuation of a nearly 50-year dumpster fire.

For those who expect eight or nine wins this upcoming season, that's one thing. Those who think eight or nine wins is some major accomplishment represent everything that is wrong with this program. In that skunk cesspool to our east, eight or nine wins is a down year. If you win 10 games in Lincoln, you probably have a new head coach the following year. Even the hog-eyes go double-digits from time to time.

While I think it is unrealistic to have double-digit wins year in and year out, I do expect that at least once every few years we have a season with 10 or more wins. I think this year's team and schedule sets us up nicely for nine or more wins. Eight wins is, at best, so-so. Seven or less wins is a continuation of a nearly 50-year dumpster fire.

The expectations of some folks behind the TV or the stands have nothing to do with program success.

The expectations of some folks behind the TV or the stands have nothing to do with program success.

Are you saying that success is defined by the U admin alone and if they think flirting with .500 is success, that makes it so?

If you think the fans in the stands or behind TV sets don't matter, just ask the Twins front office whether they think fan expectations has anything to do with success. You wouldn't have to ask a whole lot of fans this year.

Are you saying that success is defined by the U admin alone and if they think flirting with .500 is success, that makes it so?

If you think the fans in the stands or behind TV sets don't matter, just ask the Twins front office whether they think fan expectations has anything to do with success. You wouldn't have to ask a whole lot of fans this year.

Yup, that also doesn't matter. You can have all the expectations in the world, team will suck or be good or whatever all on its own.

I don't think I have ever heard a coach predict the amount of wins for an upcoming season. Very interesting, even a bit odd.

By historical standards, 8 wins is a good season for Gopher Football. If I count correctly, the U of M has had 17 seasons with 8 or more wins - since 1892. That is 124 years. That averages to an 8 win season once every 7.3 years.

Don't want to start an argument here (still recovering from the heart attack!), but if someone feels that 8 wins is a disappointing season for Gopher FB, then you need to re-examine the program's history, and adjust your expectations.

I think this team has the potential to win 8 or 9 games - maybe more- but 1 or 2 key injuries can throw that all out the window.

It all has to do with the schedule. Only winning 8 means they would likely lose to 4 other west teams, or to 3 west teams and Penn State. That likely makes them the 4th or 5th best team in the west, which is where they were last year.

I agree with Claeys and do think this is the best Gopher team since Kill/Claeys arrived, especially on offense. That's why I'll be disappointed with anything less than 9 wins.

It all has to do with the schedule. Only winning 8 means they would likely lose to 4 other west teams, or to 3 west teams and Penn State.

I agree with Claeys and do think this is the best Gopher team since Kill/Claeys arrived, especially on offense. That's why I'll be disappointed with anything less than 9 wins.

There's a 95% chance the Gophers will be underdogs to 3 west teams (IA, @NEB, @WIS) and @ Penn State. So, to get to 9 wins, we'll have to pull of an upset, likely 2. And, we'll have to not stub our toe in the games we "should" win (OSU, ISU, CSU, RUT, PUR), and avoid losing the tossup games (@MD, @ILL, NW).

If you offered nine wins right now, I'd take it without thinking twice and go enjoy the Outback, Holiday, or Foster Farms Bowl.

This. If we stay healthy 10 is attainable. Special need for our senior QB and OL to stay health.

There's a 95% chance the Gophers will be underdogs to 3 west teams (IA, @NEB, @WIS) and @ Penn State. So, to get to 9 wins, we'll have to pull of an upset, likely 2. And, we'll have to not stub our toe in the games we "should" win (OSU, ISU, CSU, RUT, PUR), and avoid losing the tossup games (@MD, @ILL, NW).

If you offered nine wins right now, I'd take it without thinking twice and go enjoy the Outback, Holiday, or Foster Farms Bowl.

This is exactly what I have been thinking. Beat Penn State and take care of the games we should win and we are at 9 wins. Nebraska and Wisconsin are a tall order based on last year. I hope we win those games but I saw both games at TCF last year and yes Richardson was out for each game but both NEB and WI just gashed our interior d line. We have some new big guys to stop the gashing but they can't do it without depth. I am very cautiously optimistic we can hit 9 but moderately satisfied with 8 wins. Leidner as a senior will be a difference maker for one win maybe he gets us past Nebraska.

I expect more from this program in the future but it will take time to build the depth needed to get through the Big Ten schedule and beat a good team at the end of the season.

Outback and Holiday would be ok.

Please not the Foster Farms Bowl, that end of the valley is mostly office parks :(

Despite the fact that our crossovers are fairly easy, I think this is an unhealthy expectation. You're really going to be disappointed unless we have our best season in over a decade?

We lost to Illinois in our 8-4 season in 2014. We damn near lost to Purdue that year as well.

I'm not sure at what point people will recognize that you can't just chalk up 7 wins as automatic. Not when the talent gap is that small. We aren't Ohio State.

Yes, we should be favored to win against: Oregon State, Indiana State, Colorado State, @Maryland, Purdue, @Illinois, and Rutgers. Individually. Collectively, however, to run the table at 7-0? Very unlikely. If we can get 6-1 out of that group that's good. If we can get 2-3 out of @Wisconsin, @Nebraska, @Penn State, Iowa, and Northwestern, that would be pretty good as well.

That's 8 wins. 9 would be very impressive. 10 would be stratospheric.

Top Bottom