Wow - video of UTEP's Tim Floyd going at it with a radio show host at press conf

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Give UTEP coach Tim Floyd this: He found himself a sure-fire way to land a national college basketball headline in the middle of May.

Floyd held something of a seemingly random offseason press conference on Tuesday. After watching the video above, you'll see it wasn't so random, though. Floyd's motive for the presser is clear. The six-year UTEP coach is unhappy with some local media coverage of the team, and in particular, after watching the video, it's obvious Floyd wanted a public forum to argue with a specific member of the local media. The target is a radio host named Steve Kaplowitz. Over the course of nearly 30 minutes, Floyd took aim at Kaplowitz, calling him "irresponsible" a number of times.

The impetus for this blow-up is catalyzed by two factors: UTEP has yet to make an NCAA Tournament under Floyd, and now the school is undergoing transfer spate, losing four players, three of them to transfer to other schools, according to ESPN.com's transfer tracker.

The rant began, really, when Floyd started to mention how many other teams in the league lost numerous players to transfer. However, the video above is cued to start where the tête-à-tête begins. Floyd is asked why he thinks so many transfers are happening in college basketball. He immediately turns the question back around on Kaplowitz.

"It's the culture of the milennial that we're all dealing with," Floyd said. "It's not just in college basketball. It's in the workplace. The average millenial has five jobs within the first three years of graduation."

Kaplowitz then opts to air some private grievances, as he calls Floyd out for not returning his calls and texts.

"I don't respond to journalists who just throw things out, throw things against the wall and hope it sticks," Floyd said. "In my opinion, you don't know what the hell you're talking about."

Floyd then recites a bunch of transfer numbers, including a referenced stat that there were seven schools -- just seven -- that did not have a transfer amid or after the 2014-15 season.

Here's the climax of the confronation:

FLOYD: "It's complete fiction what's coming out of his mouth."

KAPLOWITZ: [Non-verbally reacts off-camera]

FLOYD: "Don't shake your head -- you know I'm dead-ass right."

KAPLOWITZ: "That's wrong and you're classless for saying that in front of the media."

[Both shouting over each other]

FLOYD: "Your show is fiction."

KAPLOWITZ: "How about all the folks in El Paso? How about all the fans, all the season ticket holders that are upset, that they've been upset with the lack of results over the last six years, and they're tired of not going to the postseason. They're tired of not going to the NCAA Tournament. How about that?"

FLOYD: "We were in the NIT a year ago."

KAPLOWITZ: "Yeah that really means a lot to El Paso right now."

FLOYD: "Is that right?"

KAPLOWITZ: "Yeah."

FLOYD: "We lost four starters, we didn't quite get there this year."

KAPLOWITZ: "So every year it's gonna be the same thing, coach? Every year? Is that how it's going to be?"

FLOYD: "Is that right? If you're upset about us not wininng agames and want me fired because of not winning games, that's your prerogative."

From there the argument continues on the merits of sports-talk radio, with Kaplowitz defending his show and fighting back against UTEP "feeding" stories to other media outlets. Floyd eventually makes his way back to Kaplowitz and the nature of his radio show. Kaplowitz asks Floyd, "Do you believe everything you hear?" to which Floyd replies "You're damn right I do. From everyone but you."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...m-floyd-blasts-radio-host-at-press-conference

Go Gophers!!

"That's wrong and you're classless for saying that in front of the media."

Pretty funny coming from someone in the media who will say just about anything regardless if they know it is true or not.

I understand both sides of this. It's tough for the coach to read and listen to stuff that they know isn't true. The media can usually say just about anything without recourse.

At the same time as a coach you have to understand criticism is going to be there when you aren't doing well.

Floyd's an idiot, he just gave this guy a bigger audience the next time he's on the air and you know what he will be talking about

Top Bottom