Reusse: Pitino's program 'profoundly' disappointing? Maybe one day

A summer firing would make us the "desperate for a date" school. And not paying the buyout and making Pitino take the U to court is an awesome way to draw top level coaching.

Fire him now. Don't give him the buyout because it can be argued that it was done under false pretenses. Let him take us to court. He didn't really try to recruit for us until his balls were in a vise. If we aren't good enough for him to give us an effort that yielded results without him being able to line his pockets, then he won't respond to any incentives we offer him.

The bottom line of your first scenario is also the bottom line for your second scenario because we are the "training wheels" program for the son of Rick Pitino. Why do we have training wheels on our program? Because our efforts to land a "big time coach" are precisely what trips us up from landing a "big time coach." Nobody wants to take the "desperate for a date partner" to prom.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It seems you are only worried about getting rid of Pitino because you don't like him. The people who actually make the decision also have to consider the hire of the new coach. Your scenario would put them in the worst position to hire a good replacement.

Fire him now. Don't give him the buyout because it can be argued that it was done under false pretenses. Let him take us to court. He didn't really try to recruit for us until his balls were in a vise. If we aren't good enough for him to give us an effort that yielded results without him being able to line his pockets, then he won't respond to any incentives we offer him.

The bottom line of your first scenario is also the bottom line for your second scenario because we are the "training wheels" program for the son of Rick Pitino. Why do we have training wheels on our program? Because our efforts to land a "big time coach" are precisely what trips us up from landing a "big time coach." Nobody wants to take the "desperate for a date partner" to prom.

This might be the dumbest post I have ever read. Pitino's recruiting has improved every year he has been here and if the U tried to pull that stunt with the buyout, the Pitino camp would win that hearing hands down, as many issue as their has been, Pitino isn't directly responsible for any of them, he didn't allegedly rape anyone, make a sex tape, all of his extra funding was signed off on by his bosses as was his buyout. Pitino lawyer could show up with no pants, choke the chicken in front of the judge and still win that case. One way or another it'll play itself out on the court, four years enough to make a full evaluation of the program, new AD fully in place. Buyout goes down to 5.5 million. As for me I hope he succeeds because the next two years of instate recruiting I would prefer not to throw those years away. In Basketball with the way these kids are recruited now, as a coach you're really behind the eight ball in terms of building relationships with recruits and AAU coaches until the third class.

Pitino lawyer could show up with no pants, choke the chicken in front of the judge and still win that case.

You have a way with words bemidjigopher. I really hope you were on your high school debating team.

Quit bringing out the dead horse. I'm not going to beat it.

Wonderful! All you do is beat a dead horse. Zero self-awareness how you come off.

You have a way with words bemidjigopher. I really hope you were on your high school debating team.

Appreciate it, unfortunately or fortunately depending on one's viewpoint I was not. I am just the sarcastic asshole son of a CLO

Wonderful! All you do is beat a dead horse. Zero self-awareness how you come off.
Or a large sense of self-deprecating sarcasm. It all depends on how you want to read it.

I believe Pitino's recruitment for the coming year is in the top 25. Which is impressive for this program irregardless of who has been the coach. It would seem that your basketball acumen is lacking. This is apparent to most on this forum. It might be less embarrassing for you, if you withheld your opinion for about a year and let Pitino do his thing to get this program ontrack. We are not going to "land" a big time coach. We have to develope one. Pitino has had two very disappointing years in which I believe he has learned greatly. It would be foolish to pull out now. He has character, he is fun to listen to, he can recruit, and he loves Minnesota. Most importantly, if you pay some attention to what he has done with the players he has had, he can coach.

What if Pitino somehow manages to get this team to the NCAAs and win a game next year and no one gets in any kind of trouble off the court? However slim it's possible. Then let's say another school tries to hire him away. Do we let him go or do we give him a new contract to keep him here? I would almost let him go just because it could be a fluke and then let Coyle find a better fit.

I believe Pitino's recruitment for the coming year is in the top 25. Which is impressive for this program irregardless of who has been the coach. It would seem that your basketball acumen is lacking. This is apparent to most on this forum. It might be less embarrassing for you, if you withheld your opinion for about a year and let Pitino do his thing to get this program ontrack. We are not going to "land" a big time coach. We have to develope one. Pitino has had two very disappointing years in which I believe he has learned greatly. It would be foolish to pull out now. He has character, he is fun to listen to, he can recruit, and he loves Minnesota. Most importantly, if you pay some attention to what he has done with the players he has had, he can coach.
Results have been egregiously short. A century's worst record is also damning. Having ire at the situation is neither an indicator of ignorance nor lack of acumen. Perhaps typical dispassionate Minnesota fans are more to your liking because they are easier to manipulate and deceive. Waiting for improvements, significant improvements in this entire athletic department have extended beyond my thirty-five year window towards fifty years. I would consider anyone who has been an alumni and Gophers sports fan to have valid frustrations that only get sated by winning not mealy mouthed pandering and distractions.

What if Pitino somehow manages to get this team to the NCAAs and win a game next year and no one gets in any kind of trouble off the court? However slim it's possible. Then let's say another school tries to hire him away. Do we let him go or do we give him a new contract to keep him here? I would almost let him go just because it could be a fluke and then let Coyle find a better fit.
If that happens, with only Buggs and Springs set to leave for graduation, were set up to win big the following year, I'd say keep him. Will have a lot of momentum recruiting in that scenario and the do athletic village coming. Were a Big Ten job, with the exception of the blue bloods, there's no reason why we can't afford to keep a coach we want, unless the issues go beyond money, which they could in this case.

What if Pitino somehow manages to get this team to the NCAAs and win a game next year and no one gets in any kind of trouble off the court?. ... Then let's say another school tries to hire him away. Do we let him go or do we give him a new contract to keep him here?

Hope Coyle has that problem to deal with next year. Better than the alternative.

I would consider anyone who has been an alumni and Gophers sports fan to have valid frustrations that only get sated by winning not mealy mouthed pandering and distractions.

Agreed. Let's hire a new AD and build some facilities!

This is a Star Tribune calibre comment. No, that is not a compliment.

Is that a synonym for "d-bag?"

That's irrelevant to my question.

Wow, this might be one of the more clueless posts I've seen on GH in a while.

Someone is not doing well in this thread, and it isn't Pitino...

Someone is not doing well in this thread, and it isn't Pitino...
Moonlight, do you think enough problems have surfaced to warrant that Coach Pitino tender his resignation as an acknowledgment of failure to guide his basketball program?

Moonlight, do you think enough problems have surfaced to warrant that Coach Pitino tender his resignation as an acknowledgment of failure to guide his basketball program?

Realize not directed at me, but Pitino would be a fool to resign. You may think he's a terrible coach, but if you think for one second he should resign and give up his buyout you also think he is one of the dumbest human beings alive.

Agreed. Let's hire a new AD and build some facilities!
With or without an EEOC investigation about relocating the track & field facilities to St. Paul?

This is a Star Tribune calibre comment. No, that is not a compliment.

Is that a synonym for "d-bag?"

That's irrelevant to my question.

I am not in the mood to engage in a debate regarding your theory that Pitino ought to resign. I am simply laughing at all the comments made about Ewert86PC's inane posts.

I am not in the mood to engage in a debate regarding your theory that Pitino ought to resign. I am simply laughing at all the comments made about Ewert86PC's inane posts.
Sorry, I don't understand the purpose of your post. But, I'm glad you are happy.

Sorry, I don't understand the purpose of your post. But, I'm glad you are happy.
It's not that hard. I don't know why you bothered to direct a question personally at me when I was clearly making a joke, and I suggest doing so in the future is apt to lead to more posts that you don't understand.

I do understand that you have an agenda of developing pressure for Pitino to resign as a 'solution'. Have fun. I'm not playing.

It's not that hard. I don't know why you bothered to direct a question personally at me when I was clearly making a joke, and I suggest doing so in the future is apt to lead to more posts that you don't understand.

I do understand that you have an agenda of developing pressure for Pitino to resign as a 'solution'. Have fun. I'm not playing.

Clearly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Hoping for Pitino to resign is a little like hoping Hillary will admit to improperly using her private server for confidential emails. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

I'll let it go. I didn't follow your humor. It's my mistake.

Top Bottom