2016 Seat Adjustment Process

Alcohol is not served at the WI stadium.
There is nothing to prevent the MN students from having the same experience outside the stadium.
The liquor laws are the same in both states.

unfortunately you forgot reputation and tradition. as someone who grew up in Wisconsin, alcohol is apart of both.

Alcohol is not served at the WI stadium.
There is nothing to prevent the MN students from having the same experience outside the stadium.
The liquor laws are the same in both states.

You better believe alcohol is served at the WI stadium. It's not being sold, but it's being served.
The laws may be the same (or close) but the culture surrounding drinking is not.
Also, we don't have the same tailgating setup as becky, so yet another reason it's truly not the same experience.

Before you discuss economics, you may want to read a link that Unregistered User astutely posted earlier today on another thread.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/06/20/Media/ESPN-Big-Ten.aspx

The six-year agreements with ESPN and CBS are being vetted by lawyers, and Big Ten officials hope to have official announcements for its entire media package ready by its annual football kickoff luncheon July 26.

The $2.64 billion deals with Fox, ESPN and CBS average $440 million per year and nearly triple the amount ESPN and CBS had been paying for the same programming. ESPN signed a 10-year deal worth $100 million annually in 2006 — a payout that increased to $150 million this year due to the addition of Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers to the conference. CBS paid an average of around $6 million for its current basketball-only deal..

Three times more would bring in over $60,000,000 a year for the Gophers.

Yes, the money keeps going up and up. Somehow, though, I don't think the U is going to be at the forefront of a movement that says "Ok, this is enough now, let's stop trying to increase revenue."

Sorry grammar police, should have said "alcohol is part of the UW football fandom culture"

Don't think it was a "grammar" shot. I assumed you meant "part of" too, but after seeing his comment I wondered if you meant "separate from" also.

That would have been a surprise though. :D

Yes, the money keeps going up and up. Somehow, though, I don't think the U is going to be at the forefront of a movement that says "Ok, this is enough now, let's stop trying to increase revenue."

Understood. More concerned that they'll become a "who cares about attendance" institution instead.

I think a lot is at play here with ticket sales, many not in the University's control and I'm not sure dropping prices dramatically would automatically fix any of it, possibly change nothing....

They lost the face of the program, Jerry.

They had a stinky year the same year they had what was IMO relatively outstanding ticket sales last year.

The Vikings (super bowls or not they're THE sports program in town) are opening a monolith this fall and are eating up a lot of money...

I'm not sure lowering prices would necessarily counter act any of those three events. Sports tickets aren't generic widgets that folks have to buy, so X lower price doesn't necessarily mean Y more sales.

Also there is the issue where sports teams have seen issues where when they whipsaw pricing based on a stinky year(s) it greatly influences the perceived value of tickets even when the teams later do well and once you're in that spot it can be super hard to dig out of.

In the meantime they've got a new AD who I suspect ultimately has to weigh in, and he just got here. If he made big changes in the first few weeks I'd be a bit worried this guy is shooting from the hip.

If they do plan changes it would be better to make them before renewals next year or at least announce it after a hopefully successful season to draw interest.... not mid summer. Especially after this round of renewals, prompting folks in the future to not renew and just wait for some discount later if they feel one should be coming.

Don't think it was a "grammar" shot. I assumed you meant "part of" too, but after seeing his comment I wondered if you meant "separate from" also.

That would have been a surprise though. :D

understood; sometimes it's tough writing to the forum from a smartphone, plus I was responding to a cheeky comment to a common observation about Badger football gamedays and I wasn't paying attention to sentence structure :)

understood; sometimes it's tough writing to the forum from a smartphone, plus I was responding to a cheeky comment to a common observation about Badger football gamedays and I wasn't paying attention to sentence structure :)

I'm not sure I was playing "grammar police", I just found it funny that what you wrote was possibly the complete opposite of what was intended. I wouldn't have responded to a simple typo.

I'm not sure I was playing "grammar police", I just found it funny that what you wrote was possibly the complete opposite of what was intended. I wouldn't have responded to a simple typo.

Sorry I didn't meet your posting expectations, I make typos from my phone, I corrected it, the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I didn't meet your posting expectations, I make typos from my phone, I corrected it, the end

Oh, don't be all butt hurt. I thought it was a funny typo. Peace.

Oh, don't be all butt hurt. I thought it was a funny typo. Peace.

Nobody's butt hurt, sorry I didn't see the humor, tough to tell tone on the interweb forums

Nobody's butt hurt, sorry I didn't see the humor, tough to tell tone on the interweb forums

OK. Didn't mean to offend. Maybe I'm the only one that chuckled.

Get a room you two!

Top Bottom