STrib: Pitino far exceeded budget for private jet travel

There was one person on twitter who essentially said they should fly on regular flights like everyone else and that this is part of the reason education costs are so high. If I had rolled my eyes any harder when I read this my eyes would have been facing the back of my head.

Its always a great feeling to know we have a coach who cannot win on the court, cannot keep kids out of trouble off the court and who cannot follow a budget.

My goodness if you are going to blow up the budget at least do it while putting a good product on the court.

Its like cheating...if you are going to cheat, you better have final 4 appearances and wins to show for it like Louisville.

Its always a great feeling to know we have a coach who cannot win on the court, cannot keep kids out of trouble off the court and who cannot follow a budget.

My goodness if you are going to blow up the budget at least do it while putting a good product on the court.

Its like cheating...if you are going to cheat, you better have final 4 appearances and wins to show for it like Louisville.

I'm guessing you didn't actually read the details? He got approval to spend more than the budget called for. It happens all the time in business.

I've talked to my boss before about my marketing budget. I've asked for more money for something and explain why. Sometimes he approves it and sometimes he doesn't.

Its always a great feeling to know we have a coach who cannot win on the court, cannot keep kids out of trouble off the court and who cannot follow a budget. My goodness if you are going to blow up the budget at least do it while putting a good product on the court. Its like cheating...if you are going to cheat, you better have final 4 appearances and wins to show for it like Louisville.

So even if your supervisor says it's fine to take the extra recruiting trips Pitino is supposed to say no? And when he does say no and then can't get better recruits you'd applaud him for following a budget despite not having better players? Do I have that right? "I don't care we have the worst recruiting class in the Big 10, Pitino really followed a budget. Such a budget man. I love it. Main thing I look for in a coach."

So even if your supervisor says it's fine to take the extra recruiting trips Pitino is supposed to say no? And when he does say no and then can't get better recruits you'd applaud him for following a budget despite not having better players? Do I have that right? "I don't care we have the worst recruiting class in the Big 10, Pitino really followed a budget. Such a budget man. I love it. Main thing I look for in a coach."

To piggy back on Scher, our budget is $50,000 for private jet travel. Indiana spent $569,000 in one year! Just saw this story discussed on ESPN by the way. Thanks Strib!!

Are you a little slow? or just didn't read the article?

I'm guessing you didn't actually read the details? He got approval to spend more than the budget called for. It happens all the time in business.

I've talked to my boss before about my marketing budget. I've asked for more money for something and explain why. Sometimes he approves it and sometimes he doesn't.

I am very familiar with how the business world and budget works. But lets not ignore the other facts of the article. The report is asking to gain back some of its funds, basically Pitino to repay which he has signed off on it sounds like AND lets also not Forget Teague was fired in early August of 2015 so with Pitino ALREADY being over budget for Fiscal 2016, who has been "approving" those? It is obvious Pitino knows he has the Gophs in a corner considering he is too expensive to let go, so he may as well do whatever he wants with the budget.

I will give this to the Tubby guys- Tubby would have never exceeded his travel budget....

I'm guessing Tubby liked having the convenient excuse to skip recruiting trips. 'Well I would fly to Memphis to recruit this kid but no money in the budget. I'll sign Charles Buggs and have a nap.'

As many have stated, this might not be a big deal. However, not stopping to fill the tank on a rental car is also minor. But it speaks volumes of his laziness, arrogance, immaturity, or he feels he is privileged. You make your pick. In my eyes, those are the same characteristics I have seen in him as to how he runs his program. It seems to have also carried down to his players.

Give me a break. Do you really think Coach K, Old Roy or even Fran McCaffery stop off at the Get'n'Go when they return their rental cars to save $10?

Give me a break. Do you really think Coach K, Old Roy or even Fran McCaffery stop off at the Get'n'Go when they return their rental cars to save $10?

And what if the private jet is waiting on tarmac at $8000/hour? What's better...topping off the tank or getting on the jet??? (None of this based on fact just speculation)

I'm guessing Tubby liked having the convenient excuse to skip recruiting trips. 'Well I would fly to Memphis to recruit this kid but no money in the budget. I'll sign Charles Buggs and have a nap.'

Didn't spend any time recruiting, yet he turned in far, far better results than his successor, and has found his way back (in 3 years) to a job that most would consider better than Minnesota. Interesting.

And what if the private jet is waiting on tarmac at $8000/hour? What's better...topping off the tank or getting on the jet??? (None of this based on fact just speculation)

It's ridiculous. There's nothing some Minnesotans hate more than the idea that someone somewhere is wasting money, even if it's not theirs. They hate it more than losing.

Didn't spend any time recruiting, yet he turned in far, far better results than his successor, and has found his way back (in 3 years) to a job that most would consider better than Minnesota. Interesting.

It was a joke. Lighten up, Francis. I was not and am not anti-Tubby. He was probably told any $ he saved would be put directly towards his practice facility.

To piggy back on Scher, our budget is $50,000 for private jet travel. Indiana spent $569,000 in one year! Just saw this story discussed on ESPN by the way. Thanks Strib!!

Unreal. Thanks for posting the figures. Is that Indiana number online anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bad, I stopped reading after it was noted that the AD approved travel

The Strib found this to be vitally important, but didn't bother to report Norwood's sexual harassment of one of their own employees when she reported it to them.

I am very familiar with how the business world and budget works. But lets not ignore the other facts of the article. The report is asking to gain back some of its funds, basically Pitino to repay which he has signed off on it sounds like AND lets also not Forget Teague was fired in early August of 2015 so with Pitino ALREADY being over budget for Fiscal 2016, who has been "approving" those? It is obvious Pitino knows he has the Gophs in a corner considering he is too expensive to let go, so he may as well do whatever he wants with the budget.

I think you should take your own advice. The article says it was approved. I don't know who has approved it after Teague was fired and neither do you. You're guessing and acting like it is fact.

The Strib found this to be vitally important, but didn't bother to report Norwood's sexual harassment of one of their own employees when she reported it to them.
Wait! The media is hypocritical? That's news to me. [emoji14]

On the other hand, the Strib wouldn't have a hook to hang this story on, if RP had not flown to Africa at twice the price to recruit the Brick Hands Twins.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Wait! The media is hypocritical? That's news to me. [emoji14] On the other hand, the Strib wouldn't have a hook to hang this story on, if RP had not flown to Africa at twice the price to recruit the Brick Hands Twins. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Everything was approved by the university not Richard Pitino. Why is that so hard to understand? If anyone has a problem with the spending take it up with those who said yes. Is that not fair?

On the other hand, the Strib wouldn't have a hook to hang this story on, if RP had not flown to Africa at twice the price to recruit the Brick Hands Twins.
Konate was playing at Sunrise Christian in Kansas when we recruited him. Diediou was in Spain

Sent from my SM

Everything was approved by the university not Richard Pitino. Why is that so hard to understand? If anyone has a problem with the spending take it up with those who said yes. Is that not fair?
Look, RP got caught in the perceived pattern of financial abuse twice add to that the actual problems in MBB and it is not good. RP needs to have a major turnaround on the court next season, if he has a next season here.

Konate was playing at Sunrise Christian in Kansas when we recruited him. Diediou was in Spain

Sent from my SM
Oh, so he got nothing out of that vastly overpriced trip. Even better.

Look, RP got caught in the perceived pattern of financial abuse twice add to that the actual problems in MBB and it is not good. RP needs to have a major turnaround on the court next season, if he has a next season here. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

IT WAS ALL APPROVED!!! THERE WAS NO FINANCIAL ABUSE!!!

I'm fine if anyone wants to be critical of on court performance or off court discipline issues but this is a nonsense. Obviously you're on the glue again.

Look, RP got caught in the perceived pattern of financial abuse twice add to that the actual problems in MBB and it is not good. RP needs to have a major turnaround on the court next season, if he has a next season here.

Look, you said it yourself. Perceived. You are smart enough to know this was nothing, let alone "abuse". Don't let the Strib be your validation. This is business as usual.

Agreed on the latter point.

Edit: got a soap-boxey with my happy hour. Let's keep it on topic, ish.

Top Bottom