STrib: Pitino far exceeded budget for private jet travel

You have to be kidding me. The U wasted the about same amount of money as Pitino spent flying by hiring a search firm to gather names for a potential AD that some of us could have gotten them for free.

^ This. If they hire Goetz, after spending all that money, that would be the real crime the paper should be writing about. But you know they won't.

The approved air travel doesn't bother me. That's USING money. But the empty tank charge: that's wasting money. Even if it's only several hundred dollars over the course of time, my season ticket is several hundred dollars, and I don't want it going to waste.

These guys are going to multiple tournaments, in multiple cities, on the same weekend and sometimes same day. Did you want Pitino to miss Coffey's AAU game, when all the competing coaches are there, so he could refill the gas tank and save the dept $20?

He was approved, and he also made good by it. Don't read the Star and Trib. Especially Chip Scoggins, he is a hack

The approved air travel doesn't bother me. That's USING money. But the empty tank charge: that's wasting money. Even if it's only several hundred dollars over the course of time, my season ticket is several hundred dollars, and I don't want it going to waste.

Obviously, you have never been late for a flight due to traffic or other problems. You will be happy to know I have done this several times myself and I work for the Federal Government!

PS: My superiors have approved all of my travel overages.

Gaard was going off about this on Twitter last night, these were a few of his best:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And similar to what others mentioned on here:

The Strib is a joke, and the way this university treats athletics is not far behind.

OMG, you are exactly the audience the Strib is writing for. smh. This is just hack journalism. The editors at the Strib (one of whom is a Wisconsin alum) are pushing an agenda and if you don't see that, nobody can help you.

Pitino's control of his players is obviously a huge issue, and there's reason to doubt he's the right man for the job here. He'll probably be gone if he doesn't win this year. However, with respect to jet travel and the like, this staff spends a lot less than many of their competitors and they typically have to travel further (not just for in home visits, but to go to all of these AAU tournaments). If they're having to spend triple the budget, and it's still a lot less than Indiana, etc. spent, that tells me the "budget" wasn't high enough to begin with. And Pitino's recruiting results have been good. [Fact that two of the recruits are from MN helps, but he still has to fly all over the country for their tourneys]. The story should've been "Pitino does more with less" or "Teague negligent in budget oversight."

That crap about not refilling the rental car, etc. is downright laughable. Have you never rented a car and had a bunch of business meetings you were trying to get to? Refilling the d*mn gas tank is the least of your worries when you're trying to close a big deal, and are taking multiple flights in a week.

These guys are going to multiple tournaments, in multiple cities, on the same weekend and sometimes same day. Did you want Pitino to miss Coffey's AAU game, when all the competing coaches are there, so he could refill the gas tank and save the dept $20?

+1 to all of this. Thank you for being a reasonable people.

Gaard was going off about this on Twitter last night, these were a few of his best:

And similar to what others mentioned on here:

The Strib is a joke, and the way this university treats athletics is not far behind.

Totally agree. Both are completely laughable right now. But hey, if we hire Goetz and blew $150k hiring a search firm, that's totally alright and will be a non-issue with the STrib and Administration. What a joke.

OMG, you are exactly the audience the Strib is writing for. smh. This is just hack journalism. The editors at the Strib (one of whom is a Wisconsin alum) are pushing an agenda and if you don't see that, nobody can help you.

Pitino's control of his players is obviously a huge issue, and there's reason to doubt he's the right man for the job here. He'll probably be gone if he doesn't win this year. However, with respect to jet travel and the like, this staff spends a lot less than many of their competitors and they typically have to travel further (not just for in home visits, but to go to all of these AAU tournaments). If they're having to spend triple the budget, and it's still a lot less than Indiana, etc. spent, that tells me the "budget" wasn't high enough to begin with. And Pitino's recruiting results have been good. [Fact that two of the recruits are from MN helps, but he still has to fly all over the country for their tourneys]. The story should've been "Pitino does more with less" or "Teague negligent in budget oversight."

That crap about not refilling the rental car, etc. is downright laughable. Have you never rented a car and had a bunch of business meetings you were trying to get to? Refilling the d*mn gas tank is the least of your worries when you're trying to close a big deal, and are taking multiple flights in a week.

Settle down there buddy. I was merely relaying my opinion on this matter, which may be wrong but no need to freak out. Apparently somebody stated (after I posted) that student loans would not even go to this fund, so I am good. No need to form hemorrhoids because of a post mate.

<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/Laurentdalmeida">@Laurentdalmeida</a> Feels like it's more from the U at this point.</p>— Jon Krawczynski(@APkrawczynski) <a href="https://twitter.com/APkrawczynski/status/730256238844354560">May 11, 2016</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

^ This. If they hire Goetz, after spending all that money, that would be the real crime the paper should be writing about. But you know they won't.
This.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You have to be kidding me. The U wasted the about same amount of money as Pitino spent flying by hiring a search firm to gather names for a potential AD that some of us could have gotten them for free.

I guess I'm speaking from the perspective of a public employee. We scrimp and scrimp and scrimp in our expenses because we value public funds.

I guess I'm speaking from the perspective of a public employee. We scrimp and scrimp and scrimp in our expenses because we value public funds.

Sarcasm?

I am sure wherever you work that might be the case. In my dealings with the public sector, this couldn't be further from the truth.

This "article" or investigative journalism is total crap, but the headline is worse.

The contract has a number of hours in it because coaches want a minimum guarantee for jet time. Coaches want as much as they can get, but schools want to limit it, hence the contracts with numbers. Pitino did what you'd want him to do, request permission for more use and Teague did what you want, and that's grant the request if there was money to fund it.

This is an example of what was RIGHT about the Teague era, not what is wrong.

Look at other schools, Thad Matte gets 12 hours of flight time for school and 15 hours for personal use- that's the minimum in his contract.
Coaches like Jim Harbaugh or Calapari are spending 100k on flight time in peak recruiting season in ONE WEEK.

The revenue, level of the program and the overall budget of the U program support these expenses. Total non story. The real story is the hundreds of thousands spent on a search firm to get a ridiculously large search committee names for the AD position, to end up with 90% chance you hire a new AD from a back of the napkin list any rube paying attention to college athletics or the U could have written the afternoon Teague was fired.

The real story is the hundreds of thousands spent on a search firm to get a ridiculously large search committee names for the AD position, to end up with 90% chance you hire a new AD from a back of the napkin list any rube paying attention to college athletics or the U could have written the afternoon Teague was fired.

So you had Coyle on your napkin list?

And reading more about the guy, he'd have been on a short list to consider by insiders anyway, given his previous position at the U and his local ties to Iowa. I am not an insider so I will admit, I'd never had known about this guy, but gee wizz, it's not really an out of left field hire given his background,
having said that- the process they used is appearing to produce a heckuva result so I am not going to complain about it anymore

HAHAHAHAHAHA. That is funny. I'm not sure of too many Public Entities that scrimp all that much that I deal with.

Sarcasm?

I am sure wherever you work that might be the case. In my dealings with the public sector, this couldn't be further from the truth.

Bob sums it up best here.

From a consulting perspective, it's probably cheaper for me to pay for a tank of gas at the rental location than Bill the client for my time to fill it up.

Point is, do you want your Big Ten coach saving the University tens of dollars or use his time effectively while not on campus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please do not tell me you are insinuating that one of the senior editors at the STrib is trying to make the Gophers look bad because he's a Sconny alum...

Please do not tell me you are insinuating that one of the senior editors at the STrib is trying to make the Gophers look bad because he's a Sconny alum...

Hopefully he is not insinuating that, because it is preposterous.

Not preposterous though, is the idea that it is good for business for the Strib to bully the Gophers, while treating entities such as the Vikings with kid gloves.

I kind of agree. If it was his money he would take the five minutes to stop and fill up the tank like everybody else.

It's not the dollars, it's the attitude.

Top Bottom