Reggie Lynch In Jail ... UPDATE: Released without charges

Fire Pitino because a player, with no history of anything similar to this, and who by all accounts was a very good character kid, commits a crime? Did Pitino cover it up? Did Pitino tell him to do it? If not, shut up about firing the coach.

Its more than just one player, Pitino has quite the long list of players who have had some sort of controversial incident, which makes Pitino not look so great at judging character and/or bad at keeping his players in check, on top of that these players have not produced us wins. Zach Lofton is the one that always comes up to mind for me, I knew that kid very well, I played with him many times, and anyone else who knew him would say the same thing, that kid had a lot of issues with his temper, so I was always confused by that signing especially considering he was kicked out of his last team and he had to sit out a year. This could be the second incident that a transfer sits out year, taking up a scholarship, only to never see the court for us. Pitino has had more incidents with his players than Kill ever had, and Kill had to deal with a lot more athletes. Being a college coach doesn't only involve coaching on the court/field/etc. You also have to coach them about the real world. How often do you hear about Badger players getting in such incidents? This whole Pitino era has been eerily similar to Brewster era here, not sure how anyone can deny that at this point.

You could certainly say the same about the football team though man.

I see basketball players out wayyy more than I see football players for some reason. Maybe the football players party in different places, maybe I'm worse at noticing football players. But personally I see basketball player out more than I've seen football players out, and when I have seen them, they've been acting like they can get every girl in the place.

Correct.

Mason was the valedictorian of his high school.
Dupree McBrayer I know gave several sermons at his church.
Everyone always talked about how Kevin Dorsey was the son of a coach and how that meant he must be a great leader and kid.
I don't believe Carlos Morris had a criminal history either.
Zach Lofton had run into trouble before, but we had two scholarships to give so there was no harm in giving him one.

In sum: Pitino's not at fault.

There's no commonality or anything going on here is there :confused:

Its more than just one player, Pitino has quite the long list of players who have had some sort of controversial incident, which makes Pitino not look so great at judging character and/or bad at keeping his players in check, on top of that these players have not produced us wins. Zach Lofton is the one that always comes up to mind for me, I knew that kid very well, I played with him many times, and anyone else who knew him would say the same thing, that kid had a lot of issues with his temper, so I was always confused by that signing especially considering he had to sit out a year. This could be the second incident that a transfer sits out year, taking up a scholarship, only to never see the court for us. Pitino has had more incidents with his players than Kill ever had, and Kill had to deal with a lot more athletes. Being a college coach doesn't only involve coaching on the court/field/etc. You also have to coach them about the real world. How often do you hear about Badger players getting in such incidents? This whole Pitino era has been eerily similar to Brewster era here, not sure how anyone can deny that at this point.

As one who has always taken the "lets see how this plays out" approach it's getting very difficult to see this playing out well. Disheartening to say the least.

Fire Pitino because a player, with no history of anything similar to this, and who by all accounts was a very good character kid, commits a crime? Did Pitino cover it up? Did Pitino tell him to do it? If not, shut up about firing the coach.
Sorry but at some point it's on the coach too. 3rd incident in 18 months on a roster of 13. Meanwhile football has 90 guys and I can't recall a similar incident in a long time. Coincidence?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

pitino has suspended lynch indefinitely per the u. good to see pitino taking swift and hard action.

i hope we're still recruiting that jordy big man who is a senior.

Sorry but at some point it's on the coach too. 3rd incident in 18 months on a roster of 13. Meanwhile football has 90 guys and I can't recall a similar incident in a long time. Coincidence?

Are you suggesting the AD who wasn't what we thought, hired a basketball coach who wasn't what he thought :confused:

Taking hometown kids who went to Illinois State is not working out well...

The gopher basketball program is way past embarrassing. I just renewed my season tickets with the hope that last year's debacle would be erased from my memory. The basketball them is horrible beyond belief

Just too many incidents. Lynch, the trio, Martin, Nnwankno (sp?), Morris, McNeil, Lofton. Some may not have been his fault or odd circumstances...but recruits that didn't qualify, assault, sex tapes, players just leaving out of disagreements...too much smoke.

Are you suggesting the AD who wasn't what we thought, hired a basketball coach who wasn't what he thought :confused:
Not really. We took a gamble on a young, inexperienced coach. It appears we lost (or 'Brewstered') that bet.

dude is all talk.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just too many incidents. Lynch, the trio, Martin, Nnwankno (sp?), Morris, McNeil, Lofton. Some may not have been his fault or odd circumstances...but recruits that didn't qualify, assault, sex tapes, players just leaving out of disagreements...too much smoke.

Nwankwo? He did nothing. He was going to be a borderline qualifier so the staff dropped him so could get someone in the spring signing period they knew would be a qualifier.

Kids come and go from programs all the time whether it's playing time, not liking the setting, not liking the coach, etc. But when you get a couple cases like McNeil and now possibly Lynch that's when there's definite cause for concern.

Whatever the cause of the rash of scandals (poor judgement of recruits' character, overlooking known character issues, or plain ol' bad luck) , we can all agree it reflects poorly on the coach and I for one have had enough. One question though: is the environment at the U-Twin Cities a contributing factor?

Whatever the cause of the rash of scandals (poor judgement of recruits' character, overlooking known character issues, or plain ol' bad luck) , we can all agree it reflects poorly on the coach and I for one have had enough. One question though: is the environment at the U-Twin Cities a contributing factor?

no. how many football players arrested? very few. lucia never has guys in trouble.

Voice of caution - just because someone is arrested or charged with a crime does NOT mean that person actually committed a crime, or will automatically be found guilty. Police have to investigate, and the case might not pan out, or it could go to court and the suspect is acquitted. Unless there were witnesses (or video..........), a lot of these cases are he said-she said situations, and it comes down to whether there is physical evidence (bodily fluids, visual evidence of injuries) or which party's story is more credible.

Having said that - it does not reflect well on the program. After last season's sex video fiasco, you have to think that Pitino and the assistants have been harping on the players to stay out of trouble, and avoid compromising situations with women.

So, either the coaches are not communicating the message properly, or the players are ignoring the coaches. Either way, not a good omen for the program.

If Pitino didn't have the $7-million buyout, he might already be gone. Now, he needs to have a huge season - 20+ wins and at least an NIT bid to lower the temperature on the hot seat.

I see basketball players out wayyy more than I see football players for some reason. Maybe the football players party in different places, maybe I'm worse at noticing football players. But personally I see basketball player out more than I've seen football players out, and when I have seen them, they've been acting like they can get every girl in the place.

Similar to IU...it seemed like the football players were kept more in line/nose to the grindstone, while the basketball players really ran wild.

Maybe Pitino needs to be canned, but who's going to do it? An interim AD? Yeah, keep dragging your damn feet on bringing someone in to try and right the ship and provide stability. From top to bottom, this is the worst I've felt about Gopher athletics that I can remember. And it just keeps getting worse.

At some point they have to be able to fire him for cause with no buyout .

I don't think the press release from the U has been posted on this thread yet:

Statement from University of Minnesota Athletics Department:
Men’s basketball student-athlete Reggie Lynch has been arrested on probable cause of criminal sexual conduct. As a result, he is suspended from all team activities indefinitely, pending the outcome of the investigation.

As an athletics department and a University, we are committed to respect toward all members of the community and we hold all of our student-athletes accountable to the highest standards.

We are a laughing stock. No other way to put it. It doesn't matter if this turns out to be true or not. We can't go more than a couple of weeks without an off the court headline.

no. how many football players arrested? very few. lucia never has guys in trouble.

It has been an issue with this program lately though. Lots of issues under Tubby as well.

It had been quiet for too long I guess.

Golden Loafer. What an idiot. I wonder what Uncle Kevin has to say about this?

"Fault" might not be the right word. But five players have done stupid to illegal things with women in three incidents. At what point does the leader of this clown show become accountable?

Nobody knows what Morris and Lost on did. With that said this is bad both on and off the court

I'd say there is a much greater chance of this being a false accusation than previous incidents with this program of similar nature. Of all the episodes this program has endured over the past 8 years, I think this is the most likely to not be true. Partially based on a few things I know, partially based on gut.

Oh, do share!

Voice of caution - just because someone is arrested or charged with a crime does NOT mean that person actually committed a crime, or will automatically be found guilty. Police have to investigate, and the case might not pan out, or it could go to court and the suspect is acquitted. Unless there were witnesses (or video..........), a lot of these cases are he said-she said situations, and it comes down to whether there is physical evidence (bodily fluids, visual evidence of injuries) or which party's story is more credible.

Having said that - it does not reflect well on the program. After last season's sex video fiasco, you have to think that Pitino and the assistants have been harping on the players to stay out of trouble, and avoid compromising situations with women.

So, either the coaches are not communicating the message properly, or the players are ignoring the coaches. Either way, not a good omen for the program.

If Pitino didn't have the $7-million buyout, he might already be gone. Now, he needs to have a huge season - 20+ wins and at least an NIT bid to lower the temperature on the hot seat.

I think I remember something like this happening with Hageman on the football team. Like the cops might have detained him while he was trying to break up a fight or something.

At some point they have to be able to fire him for cause with no buyout .

I could be wrong, but I feel like Pitino himself would have to do something unethical for that to happen. Having his subordinates/players repeatedly get into trouble wouldn't be enough to fire him with cause IMO.

What else do you want Pitino to do? Every time something like this comes up, Pitino immediately suspends them and has kicked several off of the team. The players know the consequences, yet this keeps happening. That's on the players for continuing to put themselves in these positions.

Recruit better citizens? Easier said than done. As others have said many of these guys didn't have previous issues.

Top Bottom