Reggie Lynch In Jail ... UPDATE: Released without charges

Reggie is a high profile college basketball player and the other is some schmo who works in a Psychiatric hospital. He could be an orderly or a janitor for all we know. When a 7 foot tall man gets arrested it I going to get out and the Twin Cities media is going to run with it cause trashing sports players sells papers and gets ratings. Writing about some unknown who got fired without due process is not worth the A section of the paper.

PS: I don't believe Reggie's accusers name has been divulged. She could be a disheveled lying sorority girl pissed cause Reggie ducked out early instead of spooning in the morning. Then again, Reggie may be at fault. These things are so freaking hard to judge it seems as though the parties involved barely know what really happened.

I don't believe the media reported it was Lynch until the U released his name in a press release.

It would certainly be difficult to avoid releasing the name during the season. If there's a report of a sexual assault involving an unnamed basketball player and then one of the players is suspended indefinitely "for violating team rules," the dots are pretty easy to connect. Considering this occurred during the offseason, though, it struck me as odd that the U was so quick to release his identity.

I think you're right, we would've found out anyway with someone in the know reporting it here. That's not a reason for the U to do it.

Considering this occurred during the offseason, though, it struck me as odd that the U was so quick to release his identity.

They identified him because they were suspending him. It would be a tough trick to not ID him.

They identified him because they were suspending him. It would be a tough trick to not ID him.

Arrests are public record and the media came across it and the school pretty much had to identify him. He's not a minor.

I don't have strong feelings about this because it's public record and those who are interested would've found out who it was very quickly. But the U didn't have to ID him because he was suspended. It's May -- they don't have to tell anybody there was a suspension at all.

And while it is public record that he was arrested, that doesn't mean the media would report it. The two daily newspapers did not name Lynch in the initial reports because he hadn't been charged, which is pretty standard. In fact one of the TV stations withheld his name even after the U released it. Just because the name will eventually come out doesn't mean the U as to do it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't have strong feelings about this because it's public record and those who are interested would've found out who it was very quickly. But the U didn't have to ID him because he was suspended. It's May -- they don't have to tell anybody there was a suspension at all.

And while it is public record that he was arrested, that doesn't mean the media would report it. The two daily newspapers did not name Lynch in the initial reports because he hadn't been charged, which is pretty standard. In fact one of the TV stations withheld his name even after the U released it. Just because the name will eventually come out doesn't mean the U as to do it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Admittedly, I am commenting from a Canadian perspective but don't courts often seal arrests such as this to prevent identification of the victim? Presumably anyone close to the situation knows who the victim is. That may be inevitable once charges are laid but with no charges, it seems a little vindictive (to both the victim and the alleged perp) to release a name

Admittedly, I am commenting from a Canadian perspective but don't courts often seal arrests such as this to prevent identification of the victim? Presumably anyone close to the situation knows who the victim is. That may be inevitable once charges are laid but with no charges, it seems a little vindictive (to both the victim and the alleged perp) to release a name

In a case of this nature the report will identify the victim by initials.

I always find it sort of strange when the press identifies the perpetrator of a crime involving a family member and then refers to the victim by initials or states that they don’t identify the victims of an assault.

For example: Ned Petermann, 32, of rural Orono, was arrested on charges of sexual assaulting his two minor daughters. The names of the victims are being withheld as the Star Tribune does not generally identify the victims of a sexual assault without their permission.*

I made up Ned Petermann, any similarities to any real person are strictly coincidental.

Take it from experience - a lot of people don't understand the public record laws. In my work as a news director for several midwest radio stations, I have had people threaten me for using their names in news stories, or claim they were going to sue me. My typical response is - "if you don't want your name in the news, don't get charged with a crime."

In the city where I live now, the local police department has requested that I do not use names until after formal charges have been filed in court, so an initial story might identify a suspect as "a 23-year-old man from City X," and a follow-up story would give the name along with details of an initial court appearance.

There is always some discretion on what type of stories to run, and when to use names. In Lynch's case, one could argue that he is a public figure, as a scholarship athlete for a D1 team. If a player from Hamline was involved in a similar incident, it's possible his name would not have been used.

Not the same thing, but when he was under the microscope, it's amazing how Mbakwe DWI was hidden for a couple of months until team media day. seems like the Strib could've made Tubby's life more difficult just as easily if they wanted too.

There is always some discretion on what type of stories to run, and when to use names. In Lynch's case, one could argue that he is a public figure, as a scholarship athlete for a D1 team. If a player from Hamline was involved in a similar incident, it's possible his name would not have been used.

One could argue there's blood in the water and the sharks are circling. The U knows this full well and decided to get out in front. You had McNeil, you had the booting of Morris, you had the budget issues, and you had the three idiots who thought it would be a good idea to tape group sex. Of course, they're going to release his name and try to get in front of it. There's no way it wouldn't have come it.

One could argue there's blood in the water and the sharks are circling. The U knows this full well and decided to get out in front. You had McNeil, you had the booting of Morris, you had the budget issues, and you had the three idiots who thought it would be a good idea to tape group sex. Of course, they're going to release his name and try to get in front of it. There's no way it wouldn't have come it.

This.

Take it from experience - a lot of people don't understand the public record laws. In my work as a news director for several midwest radio stations, I have had people threaten me for using their names in news stories, or claim they were going to sue me. My typical response is - "if you don't want your name in the news, don't get charged with a crime."

In the city where I live now, the local police department has requested that I do not use names until after formal charges have been filed in court, so an initial story might identify a suspect as "a 23-year-old man from City X," and a follow-up story would give the name along with details of an initial court appearance.

I'd bet money that all of the major news outlets in the Twin Cities have someone who basically scours the jail rosters of every county in the metro area, just looking for a recognizable name.

The booting of Morris to me wasn't a big deal or story. Late in the season a disgruntled senior acts out. I've seen it in high school.

I'd bet money that all of the major news outlets in the Twin Cities have someone who basically scours the jail rosters of every county in the metro area, just looking for a recognizable name.

More likely scenario is someone within the PD or sheriffs office tips off the media. That is how somethings go unnoticed and others hit the papers right away.

Were you at KDOM? Did you work with Scott Larson?

Is Reggie's middle name, Joseph, and does he own a technicolor dream coat?

per STrib:

The University of Minnesota Police’s investigation following Reggie Lynch’s arrest on suspicion of rape earlier this month continues with no indication of an end date, the Gophers player’s attorney told the Star Tribune on Friday.

Lynch, a 6-9 center who played for Edina High School and transferred to the Gophers after two seasons at Illinois State, was taken into custody on May 8 after an alleged incident that ended early that morning. Lynch was never charged and was released two days later.

Since then, nearly three weeks ago, the investigation has remained ongoing.

Attorney David Valentini – who has represented several other high-profile local athletes – said the UMPD contacted him last week to inform him that the investigators were still probing. He said the defense still has not been given any details as to what the officials are looking into or who they are interviewing.

Asked how long he expects the investigation to stretch, Valentini replied, “No idea.”

http://www.startribune.com/lynch-investigation-continues-attorney-says/381174701/

Go Gophers!!

Guilty or not, his career may be done before it even started.

What a shame. The Gophers sure can use someone his size in the lineup.

The further we get from the actual incident the more I think the doesn't end up in court. My guess is Reggie will have to face a unversity disciplinary committee where he could be expelled and banned from campus or absolved who knows. He still has a chance to remain on the team.

The further we get from the actual incident the more I think the doesn't end up in court. My guess is Reggie will have to face a unversity disciplinary committee where he could be expelled and banned from campus or absolved who knows. He still has a chance to remain on the team.

If no charges are filed and he's expelled or kicked off the team then I guess that really proves the "guilty until proven innocent" narrative.

If no charges are filed and he's expelled or kicked off the team then I guess that really proves the "guilty until proven innocent" narrative.

How many times do we have to repeat our selves. The innocent until guilty only applies to a court of law. When you "work for" or represent a company or institution you can be terminated for any or no reason at all. We are a "right to work" state and as such the employer or school has all the leverage and the individual has NONE! They can remove or drop you from the team for conduct unbecoming of the team, etc. They do not have to prove anything. So stop confusing the issue.

My employer can tell me on Monday to get out and they don't have to pay any severance or accrued vacation, etc. And I have no legal rights to contest their decision, period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many times do we have to repeat our selves. The innocent until guilty only applies to a court of law. When you "work for" or represent a company or institution you can be terminated for any or no reason at all. We are a "right to work" state and as such the employer or school has all the leverage and the individual has NONE! They can remove or drop you from the team for conduct unbecoming of the team, etc. They do not have to prove anything. So stop confusing the issue.

My employer can tell me on Monday to get out and they don't have to pay any severance or accrued vacation, etc. And I have no legal rights to contest their decision, period.

We are not a "right to work state" and all employees have certain protections under federal law. That said, Lynch is not an employee and his status on a collegiate team can be terminated for activities he didn't ultimately get charged for.

You may not be entitled to severance but you get your accrued vacation pay. And you always have rights. They may vary by state but to say you have no rights to contest their decision is untrue...you may need to hire an attorney and sue to ensure your rights, but you still have them.

You must not be from Minnesota.

Where did you get this idea that workers have no rights?

This thread has lost it's focus

I meant employment at will state.

http://www.dli.mn.gov/ls/Termination.asp

All your rights are dependent upon company policy, which can change unilaterally at any time.

I didn't meant to get off track. My point is that Lynch doesn't have to be proven guilty to be kicked off the team. The coach or the university can remove him at any time as long as it falls within the limitations of the scholarship agreement.

Top Bottom