Reggie Lynch In Jail ... UPDATE: Released without charges

According to this Strib article posted by Bleed 10 days ago!!, the UMPD are doing some probing in regards to this case; and might even be poking and moseying around a little bit. Not that I have anything against probing - in fact I was probing the other night and having a great time doing it - but one might suggest that the UMPD try pre-probing before swooping in, shackling and arresting the kid, only to release him uncharged. Apparently the investigative interviews continue. The student population is near 50,000...this may take awhile.

Reggie should have been arrested in this case. It's a very serious crime (not implying that you didn't think it was), but the police interrogation techniques work much better with arrested individuals. Additionally, it helps preserve evidence in these types of cases.

It's unfortunate for someone like Reggie, in the public eye, that these types of things don't get to play out like they do for normal folks but that's just part of being in the public eye.

So far, I believe the police acted appropriately.

All these types of charges have staying power. The Mbawkwe case hung on for over a year and a half if I remember correctly.

All these types of charges have staying power. The Mbawkwe case hung on for over a year and a half if I remember correctly.

This is where will see if Coyle is Maturi 2.0 or if he has a pair of big boy pants. I remember Tubby being pretty upset that Mbakwe was suspended right before the 09-10 season.

If we're waiting for the statue of limitations to run out, Lynch will never see the U again. Rape of an adult is one of the 3 offenses in this state for which there is no SoL. The other two are kidnapping and murder.

The UMPD did something similar to Royce White in the laptop theft investigation. IIRC, they let him stew in a potential investigation as long as he was suspended, but the day after Tubby announced he was back, UMPD hurriedly announced their findings. I think all they could come up with was trespassing.

If we're waiting for the statue of limitations to run out, Lynch will never see the U again. Rape of an adult is one of the 3 offenses in this state for which there is no SoL. The other two are kidnapping and murder.

The UMPD did something similar to Royce White in the laptop theft investigation. IIRC, they let him stew in a potential investigation as long as he was suspended, but the day after Tubby announced he was back, UMPD hurriedly announced their findings. I think all they could come up with was trespassing.

I think your order of events is off there. Royce got sick of waiting, announced he was transferring and then they announced they had nothing. I don't believe he was ever re-instated to the team?

In any case, if they can drag a laptop investigation out 3 months, I see no reason to think they will announce anything about this before the semester starts. Coyle's going to have to make a call one way or the other. Either re-instate him or release him. Don't pull a Maturi.

Coyle isn't going to be held responsible for the occurrence of the event itself, but he'll be judged on how he handles things from here and can't afford a serious misstep right out of the box. The safest course for Coyle is to do nothing and wait to see what happens. If this drags on another month or two with no further public activity, Coyle (or someone else in the athletic department or office of the general counsel with connections in the police department) can certainly contact the PD, explain that they are in the process of considering reinstatement for Lynch and ask what's happening. While they aren't likely to learn detailed specifics of the investigation, they may find out whether reinstatement is likely to come back and bite them. They might hear "we know a crime was committed, we are just putting together some last pieces of the puzzle" or "the investigation has stagnated, but can't make any announcement at this time" or something else entirely.

These cases are tricky, especially in a university environment with a high profile suspect, who has been named publicly and is a member of a program which has had an inordinately high amount of bad press lately. Coyle needs to avoid appearing to be disrespectful of law enforcement's role or appearances that he's interfering with the investigation or ignoring the rights of any victim of an assault. Any announcement of Lynch's reinstatement that doesn't follow a statement that charges are no longer being pursued should include some cover in the form of a recitation of what Coyle has done and what he's learned, i.e that the investigation is stalled, that no information could be obtained on how much longer it would take, that they asked if reinstatement would compromise the investigation and were told that it would not, or whatever the case may be.

"Closing" an investigation is just lay speak for them not actively pursuing any of their current evidence. It isn't a closed case, it's like you said, no longer an active investigation.

The police will usually let people know that's the case. In this situation, the University would want to know, the neighborhood would want to know, Reggie and the victim would want to know, etc.

We are talking about the same thing. The police will let it be known to the public if it is an active investigation or not.

My guess is that if he's not charged and there is not an active investigation, he will rejoin the team.

I'm glad someone has faith in the police force. I sure don't.

Isn't Lynch rehabbing an injury this spring/summer? (Shoulder I think). What happens to his access to the rehab/training/medical staff while on suspension?

Isn't Lynch rehabbing an injury this spring/summer? (Shoulder I think). What happens to his access to the rehab/training/medical staff while on suspension?

On Lynch, Pitino said he's ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation -- underwent right shoulder surgery in April. He's expected back in full action in June.

In the past suspended players have had access to facilities, just couldn't participate in team activities. As long as Lynch enrolled at the University I believe he can receive treatment from team doctors, otherwise his uncle's Kevin Lynch and he's from Edina I am sure his family can afford a good doctor.

per STrib:

Pitino said on Wednesday the staff has not yet made a decision about whether to reinstate big man Reggie Lynch if there are no charges filed in the coming weeks.

Lynch was arrested last month on suspicion of criminal sexual conduct. He was released without being charged 36 hours later but the University of Minnesota police have continued to investigate the case since.

Pitino said the team has not been given any signal of when the investigation will conclude.

“Nothing has changed,” he said. “I think we’re going to just wait and see.”

http://www.startribune.com/pitino-t...ng-but-the-versatility-is-exciting/382266351/

Go Gophers!!

per STrib:

Pitino said on Wednesday the staff has not yet made a decision about whether to reinstate big man Reggie Lynch if there are no charges filed in the coming weeks.

Lynch was arrested last month on suspicion of criminal sexual conduct. He was released without being charged 36 hours later but the University of Minnesota police have continued to investigate the case since.

Pitino said the team has not been given any signal of when the investigation will conclude.

“Nothing has changed,” he said. “I think we’re going to just wait and see.”

http://www.startribune.com/pitino-t...ng-but-the-versatility-is-exciting/382266351/

Go Gophers!!

That would seem to imply Richard has the final say on this. I seriously doubt it.

Mark Coyle is a U of M staff member.

Yep. I read into that statement that Pitino, based on what he knows wants to reinstate. That sounded like an "it's out of my hands" statement.

Yep. ... That sounded like an "it's out of my hands" statement.

Agree.

This is the same thing as the menage a trois video. Pitino has little/no say in if/when the suspension should end, nor should he. I think he learned his lesson last time not to speak out of turn vs. the wishes off his bosses.

So this has been almost 90 days.....I sure wish this would be finished.

anyone heard any updates?

If there are no charges, IMO he should play.

For no other reason than I think if he hasn't been charged he should have never have been detained and his name should've never been released.
Outside of murder crimes, imminent danger, and flight risks...arrests probably shouldn't be made if charges aren't ready to be filed.

Please Don't post in here unless there is updated information. We've exhausted every possible angle on whether or not he should/could/would or has played.

He's been posting on social media pretty regularly. He deleted it all immediately after the incident, but brought it back within the last month or so. Probably a good sign.

per Rayno:

Additionally, Reggie Lynch, the transfer once pegged to start 2016-17 at center, remains suspended from team activities since being arrested on suspicion of rape in May.

The Hennepin County district attorney declined to charge Lynch, but university investigators have continued to probe the case. At the start of that second phase, county officials indicated that the additional work generally lasts for no longer than 90 days, a deadline that hits Aug. 8. In the meantime, Lynch has been allowed to join the team only for the occasional speakers Pitino brings in “to help educate from a personal standpoint.”

“We’re just being patient with it,” Pitino said. “It’s the summer time right now, so we do have time.”

Pitino said he has not decided how Lynch’s standing with the team will change if he is charged or cleared. While the process plays out, though, he’s not wasting any time tinkering with options.

Behind Lynch on the depth chart are juniors Bakary Konate and Gaston Diedhiou. The former missed more than a month of summer workouts due to a quadriceps injury, and the latter played only 5.2 minutes a game last season.

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...tight-competition-for-playing-time/388328891/

Go Gophers!!

per Rayno:

Additionally, Reggie Lynch, the transfer once pegged to start 2016-17 at center, remains suspended from team activities since being arrested on suspicion of rape in May.

The Hennepin County district attorney declined to charge Lynch, but university investigators have continued to probe the case. At the start of that second phase, county officials indicated that the additional work generally lasts for no longer than 90 days, a deadline that hits Aug. 8. In the meantime, Lynch has been allowed to join the team only for the occasional speakers Pitino brings in “to help educate from a personal standpoint.”

“We’re just being patient with it,” Pitino said. “It’s the summer time right now, so we do have time.”

Pitino said he has not decided how Lynch’s standing with the team will change if he is charged or cleared. While the process plays out, though, he’s not wasting any time tinkering with options.

Behind Lynch on the depth chart are juniors Bakary Konate and Gaston Diedhiou. The former missed more than a month of summer workouts due to a quadriceps injury, and the latter played only 5.2 minutes a game last season.

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...tight-competition-for-playing-time/388328891/

Go Gophers!!

What did I tell ya!! :clap:

At some point I would expect his attorney to go before a judge and ask for a probable cause hearing.
Right now there must be just enough smoke to keep the Keystone U cops interested in finding a fire and Lynch's attorney is happy not to force the issue.

I have a hard time finding any blame in the U police on this one. Obviously, Lynch put himself in a position that likely could have been avoided.

At some point I would expect his attorney to go before a judge and ask for a probable cause hearing.
Right now there must be just enough smoke to keep the Keystone U cops interested in finding a fire and Lynch's attorney is happy not to force the issue.

That'd only happen if the prosecutor wants to bring the case right? The police could keep this case open for ever from what I understand.

I have a hard time finding any blame in the U police on this one. Obviously, Lynch put himself in a position that likely could have been avoided.

Perhaps he did, but that is in no way obvious.

Top Bottom