ESPN: Way-too-early 2017 NFL mock draft has Gophers Mitch Leidner going in 1st round!

Bold statement...any supporting facts to that assumption ?

Actually, there is some evidence

From Mcshay's first round mock

"Let's start by emphasizing the first part of the headline above: Way-too-early. There's a reason we use that terminology for this piece. I have not studied tape on most of these players. I've simply done my best to match up many of the top players on my preliminary list with teams that make sense."

http://www.startribune.com/espn-s-m...dner-as-first-round-nfl-draft-pick/378278491/

Not unreasonable to assume that there is a good chance Kiper used a similar method with little to no film study to compile these lists.

So when he watched film of David Cobb and Maxx Williams, he didn't see a single play from Leidner? Or do you think he watched zero film on those two players as well?

Yeah, he predicted (incorrectly, mind you) that Maxx would be rookie of the year without seeing any film of his collegiate quarterback.
http://heavy.com/sports/2015/08/max...l-combine-highlights-twitter-minnesota-video/

I guess it's possible that he watched no film. Maybe it's a big conspiracy and that's why ESPN removed the video of Kiper breaking down Maxx Williams from its website.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/116359/watch-kiper-on-gophers-te-maxx-williams

"Let's start by emphasizing the first part of the headline above: Way-too-early. There's a reason we use that terminology for this piece. I have not studied tape on most of these players. I've simply done my best to match up many of the top players on my preliminary list with teams that make sense."

http://www.startribune.com/espn-s-m...dner-as-first-round-nfl-draft-pick/378278491/

Not unreasonable to assume that there is a good chance Kiper used a similar method with little to no film study to compile these lists.

But that doesn't specify any certain athlete that was or wasn't looked at. People assume that means that they must not have looked at Leidner's film because of course he is so bad and a D2 qb that if anyone watched film they would all agree how horrible of a player he is! Even if McShay or Kiper had looked at absolutely zero film, they must be hearing the Leidner talk from somewhere (cough NFL scouts who HAVE seen film and live play cough), otherwise it makes little sense for two separate leading draft analysts to somehow pull Leidner's name out of a hat as a possible first round pick. Turning's statement that he can guarantee that Kiper looked at zero film of Leidner is unreasonable and laughable, for reasons I and others have already explained. In actuality, whether or not McShay or Kiper have sat down and studied film on Leidner is irrelevant to his draft stock as its clear that there is enough talk about Leidner behind the scenes that these two (among others) have jumped on board, and without seeing any footage that really tells you something.

But that doesn't specify any certain athlete that was or wasn't looked at. People assume that means that they must not have looked at Leidner's film because of course he is so bad and a D2 qb that if anyone watched film they would all agree how horrible of a player he is! Even if McShay or Kiper had looked at absolutely zero film, they must be hearing the Leidner talk from somewhere (cough NFL scouts who HAVE seen film and live play cough), otherwise it makes little sense for two separate leading draft analysts to somehow pull Leidner's name out of a hat as a possible first round pick. Turning's statement that he can guarantee that Kiper looked at zero film of Leidner is unreasonable and laughable, for reasons I and others have already explained. In actuality, whether or not McShay or Kiper have sat down and studied film on Leidner is irrelevant to his draft stock as its clear that there is enough talk about Leidner behind the scenes that these two (among others) have jumped on board, and without seeing any footage that really tells you something.

That they lack credibility? I get the impression that once CBS and Walter Football came out with their QB rankings, then other guys like Mcshay sort of ran with some of it and if Mcshay never would have had Leidner as a first rounder then Kiper might not have placed him as high. It seems like a copycat business and word on the street can become gospel too quickly without any thorough research or film study.

That they lack credibility? I get the impression that once CBS and Walter Football came out with their QB rankings, then other guys like Mcshay sort of ran with some of it and if Mcshay never would have had Leidner as a first rounder then Kiper might not have placed him as high. It seems like a copycat business and word on the street can become gospel too quickly without any thorough research or film study.

Congratulations, you've not only described scouts but the playoff committee and the poll voters.

Thanks. Wow if that's the case. Maybe it happens more than I think then

Top Bottom