nfl prospects

march madness

Reaction score
What gophers do you see as NFL prospects?

Offense:

QB Leidner
RB: Brooks
RB: Rodney Smith
TE: Lingen
OL: Pirsig,
OL: Calhoun?
OL: T. Moore?

Defense:

DT Richardson
LB Pock
LB Lynn
CB Myrick

**what do you think?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What gophers do you see as NFL prospects?

Offense:

QB Leidner
RB: Brooks
RB: Rodney Smith
TE: Lingen
OL: Pirsig,
OL: Calhoun?
OL: T. Moore?

Defense:

DT Richardson
LB Pock
LB Lynn
CB Myrick

**what do you think?
I'd add Travis, I also think Santoso will get a look as well

What gophers do you see as NFL prospects? Offense: QB Leidner RB: Brooks RB: Rodney Smith TE: Lingen OL: Pirsig, OL: Calhoun? OL: T. Moore? Defense: DT Richardson LB Pock LB Lynn CB Myrick **what do you think?

Any starting db on this team is a possible NFL prospect.

Add Buford, Hardin, and Travis to your list at least. Johnson and Williams probably would join this list soon, too.

Possibly WR Still. Too soon to tell on some of the other WRs but we do possibly have some NFL caliber athletes there.

And the incoming freshman class may include more pro prospects than we've ever had.

It's really difficult to tell with the younger guys.

Leidner will get a look. I think he'll go somewhere between 5-7th round. I don't care what McShay said.

Guys I expect to be drafted:
Leidner
Brooks
Pirsig
Myrick
Travis
Richardson
Lingen

Guys who will get invited to camps:
Poock
Lynn
Santoso
H. Ekpe
Elmore
Smith

It's really too early to tell for guys like Buford, Still, Coughlin (way too early), Moore, Wozniak (has the size and late bloomer).

Folks on this thread are much higher on Poock than I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poock has good numbers, good size, and seems to be athletic. 99 tackles, 5.5 TFL, 1 FF as a sophmore. Campbell had 92 tackles, 6.5 tfl, 1ff in his final season and was a 4th rounder. Granted Campbell was drafted on his athleticism, but its not out of the question if Poock keeps improving that he could as well.

Poock has good numbers, good size, and seems to be athletic. 99 tackles, 5.5 TFL, 1 FF as a sophmore. Campbell had 92 tackles, 6.5 tfl, 1ff in his final season and was a 4th rounder. Granted Campbell was drafted on his athleticism, but its not out of the question if Poock keeps improving that he could as well.

Didn't CP play inside and DC play outside? DC also trumps him significantly in the size/athleticism/potential scale.

My goal is not to dis Poock. I like him as a player, but have never thought of him as an NFL player. Maybe that will change after this year.

Is it possible Poock could get a look at safety at the next level? I'm not sure what his weight is at now but he looks fairly thin.

A better comparison would probably be Damien Wilson. Poock remember will only be a Junior next season. No reason he couldn't get himself drafted in the later rounds like Wilson.

Poock is 6-2 230 on the roster, which I believe is out of date, I know the roster is updated just before the season, I'm just not sure how often it's updated.

Richardson will be an interesting one to watch. Based on skill he could definitely be a NFL player. His height - 5-10"/5-11" will scare a lot of teams off just like it did when he was being recruited.

Richardson will need to put up impressive numbers his last two years. NFL teams won't like his height. His stats remind me of Chucky Hunter out of TCU that went undrafted. Aaron Donald, a frequent comparison probably has 3 inches on Richardson and his stats dont come close as of now. Good player but not ideal size. Production doesn't always matter if a player is limited in size or speed, like Scooby Wright. Not saying a draft won't happen and if it does it means he was very disruptive for us and that means great things.

Richardson will need to put up impressive numbers his last two years. NFL teams won't like his height. His stats remind me of Chucky Hunter out of TCU that went undrafted. Aaron Donald, a frequent comparison probably has 3 inches on Richardson and his stats dont come close as of now. Good player but not ideal size. Production doesn't always matter if a player is limited in size or speed, like Scooby Wright. Not saying a draft won't happen and if it does it means he was very disruptive for us and that means great things.

Greg Eslinger is a prime example of what you are talking about from the other side of the ball. Phenomenal college center that couldn't make it in the NFL because he just wasn't big enough. Richardson's height could definitely hold him back from being a pro prospect because going up against ridiculously skilled guys that are significantly taller and just as heavy or heavier might be too much to overcome. Of course I could care less what kind of pro prospect he is, I just want him to be a disruptive force along the Gophers D-Line.

I never understood the desire for a 6-6 DT besides the ability to knock down 1 pass a game. 6-6 300lb dt are easier to move then a 6' 300lb guy. Richardson will get his chance, probably wont be a top pick, but should make some money.

I think 6 feet is being generous. What do you guys think? 5 10? The roster heights and weights maybe aren't totally made up, but I don't think they're checking too see if they're stepping on their tippy toes in some cases. NFL guys are particularly stuck on measurables which in many cases is shortsighted as instincts make up eg speed. I also tend to think theres a resistance to "reaching" by some GMs as they try to placate fans. His stats will need to be all big-ten type at the college level.

In any case Richardson is one of my favorite players on this team. His quickness, strength, and toughness are extraordinary. He's a freak of nature physically. Last year he was hurt. With a little help and being a year older and stronger he could make a lot of noise.

height

Some of the best DT are "short" in todays game. Mike Daniels is 6', Atkins and A. Donald are 6-1. Hopefully that will help Richardson if he is in fact just 5-10.

Met him on the field after the spring game last year. He's about 5'9" maybe 5'10" by my estimation.

I never understood the desire for a 6-6 DT besides the ability to knock down 1 pass a game. 6-6 300lb dt are easier to move then a 6' 300lb guy. Richardson will get his chance, probably wont be a top pick, but should make some money.

6-6 guys usually have longer arms. It's not the height itself that will hurt Richardson's draft stock but the shorter arms that come with being less tall. If his arms were as long as Ra'Shede's while still having the same strength, he'd be a projected top pick. It's why Chris Borland was a third rounder as opposed to a first or second rounder.

Some of the best DT are "short" in todays game. Mike Daniels is 6', Atkins and A. Donald are 6-1. Hopefully that will help Richardson if he is in fact just 5-10.

How many DTs under 6' tall have played in the NFL? I'm going to guess very few to none over the past 30 years.

How many DTs under 6' tall have played in the NFL? I'm going to guess very few to none over the past 30 years.

Listed at 6' or really under 6'? The former, probably zero. The latter, probably quite a few. Aaron Donald is a great example - there's no way he's 6', but he's listed as such (even 6'1" in some places, more hilarious still) because of the stigma.

John Randle couldn't have been more than 6 feet tall, second most sacks all time for a DT.

Listed at 6' or really under 6'? The former, probably zero. The latter, probably quite a few. Aaron Donald is a great example - there's no way he's 6', but he's listed as such (even 6'1" in some places, more hilarious still) because of the stigma.

John Randle couldn't have been more than 6 feet tall, second most sacks all time for a DT.

Aaron Donald measured at 6'1" at the NFL Draft combine, where they most definitely don't embellish height. John Randle was also 6'1".

Dyron Russ must have been 5'11". I think Husker is with me on this one. He was one of the best we've had in years.

Top Bottom