Doogie: Unless U is holding out on info, Goetz has not raised $1 for facilities

BleedGopher

Reaction score
In his latest Podcast, Doogie talked quite a bit about the AD search. A few notes:

- The #1 concern for outside candidates isn't the 16-person committee, but rather the fact that Beth Goetz had the authority to hire Ayo Taylor-Dixon as Associate AD. Doogie says candidates feel that hire is one that a full time AD makes. Doogie said that hire sends a signal that this is her job.

- Doogie said that Goetz has "all sorts of support" from Eric Kaler's office and on campus. Eric Kaler is hearing from donors that worry if Beth can be the face of the athletic department. Is she sharp enough to do the interviews, to raise the money.

- Doogie said she's been the interim AD for 9 or 10 months and "as far as I know, unless the University is holding back information, Beth Goetz has not raised $1. Not 1 fundraising dollar."

- The name to watch is Sean Frazier at Northern Illinois. Doogie said he so wants to be an AD in the Big Ten that he's willing to go through the entire circus act.

- Doogie thinks its a two-person race between Beth Goetz and Sean Frazier.

Here is a link to the Podcast:

http://www.1500espn.com/the-scoop-2...lation-gophers-ad-update-wild-coach-and-more/

Go Gophers!!

OMG why hasn't Goetz done what a full time AD does!?!?!?

OMG why did Goetz do what a full time AD does!?!?!?

Really though is the U supposed to give out a fundraising report to this guy or something?

As far as I know Craig James killed five hookers... or at least he never denied it....

Sid chimes in on the Goetz, Frazier two-person race:

• The names one keeps hearing to be the next Gophers athletic director is interim AD Beth Goetz, and if she is not chosen, it’s Northern Illinois AD Sean Frazier, who took his current job in 2013 after being an associate athletic director at Wisconsin. Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez is pushing for Frazier, who also has a big booster in former Gophers football coach Jerry Kill.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-need-dozier-to-keep-on-hitting/378201931/

Go Gophers!!

• The names one keeps hearing to be the next Gophers athletic director is interim AD Beth Goetz, and if she is not chosen, it’s Northern Illinois AD Sean Frazier, who took his current job in 2013 after being an associate athletic director at Wisconsin. Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez is pushing for Frazier, who also has a big booster in former Gophers football coach Jerry Kill.

Go Gophers!!

I like Jerry and all but word has it he hardly talked to MEGATOUNGE so I'm not sure how much he would know about who would do a good job at that spot. Dude could be awesome I just don't know but Jerry has been ultra loyal before, like with Limegrover....

Did not Maturi come highly recommended by BA?

I like Jerry and all but word has it he hardly talked to MEGATOUNGE so I'm not sure how much he would know about who would do a good job at that spot. Dude could be awesome I just don't know but Jerry has been ultra loyal before, like with Limegrover....

I'd bet Jerry knows what it takes to be a good AD more than anyone on the committee or even the search firm. He has worked with them his entire career.

Has she been asked to raise a dime as interim AD?

I'd bet Jerry knows what it takes to be a good AD more than anyone on the committee or even the search firm. He has worked with them his entire career.

Why?

He runs a football program and pounded every hour of the day into that. Doesn't mean he knows how to pick an AD to run a department.

I had the opportunity to hear Beth speak last week. Same engagement for the last 14 years. Unfortunately she was one of the worst I have seen in terms of commanding an audience. She read from a script and showed zero passion. I was disappointed and can't imagine her in this role.

Not a fan of Goetz as AD. She may be a great administrator and great with Title IX but the AD needs to have a public persona and gravitas that will engage the big money donors....preferably without drunken stupidity like Mega****** did.

Not a fan of Goetz as AD. She may be a great administrator and great with Title IX but the AD needs to have a public persona and gravitas that will engage the big money donors....preferably without drunken stupidity like Mega****** did.

This is what I've been saying all along as well.

Goetz might be a reliable "administrator" / bureaucrat, suited well for a deputy or asst position, but I fear we are watching the Peter Principle play out here.

Go Gophers!!

Any chance Sid's source is Doogie's podcast.

In his latest Podcast, Doogie talked quite a bit about the AD search. A few notes:

- The #1 concern for outside candidates isn't the 16-person committee, but rather the fact that Beth Goetz had the authority to hire Ayo Taylor-Dixon as Associate AD. Doogie says candidates feel that hire is one that a full time AD makes. Doogie said that hire sends a signal that this is her job.

http://www.1500espn.com/the-scoop-2...lation-gophers-ad-update-wild-coach-and-more/

Go Gophers!!

So, according to Doogie, because the U has an interim AD, they are not allowed to/supposed to fill any vacant positions? "Oh, I'm sorry, but we have an interim AD, so we can't fill any openings or make any decisions for 6 months."

Interim means acting in place of or filling the role of - which implies that the Interim person is supposed to be doing the job until a permanent person is hired. As someone else pointed out, Doogie is claiming/complaining that Goetz is not raising funds - so what, exactly is the is the interim AD allowed to do? "Go out and raise money - but don't hire anyone!"

I guess the U should have just locked the doors on the AD's office until a new AD is hired.

Why anyone pays attention to Doogie is beyond me, he is the CJ of Twin Cities sports.

When Jerry Kill's name comes up I have to chime in.

Last time we had an opening, Kill wanted baseball coach John Anderson promoted to AD. I don't recall his exact words, but he gave Anderson a glowing endorsement.

But I suppose Anderson is probably enjoying baseball a lot right now.

Has she been asked to raise a dime as interim AD?

Of course she has. That being said, as I also typed on the b-ball board, there's no way Doogie knows how much she's raised, nor would anyone in a position to know actually tell him.

Why anyone pays attention to Doogie is beyond me, he is the CJ of Twin Cities sports.

Please! Don't insult C.J. IIRC Doogie is also thin skinned Much like Dubay. Who knows what mess Woody left her. Quite often the role of an interim position is to prep for the successor. My guess is that much of the activities is geared toward making sure that the person coming in,(including her) won't be walking into a huge mess.

BTW Speaking of messes, is that Title IX issue resolved?

I had the opportunity to hear Beth speak last week. Same engagement for the last 14 years. Unfortunately she was one of the worst I have seen in terms of commanding an audience. She read from a script and showed zero passion. I was disappointed and can't imagine her in this role.

Sounds like a slam dunk then for her to get the job.

I worry most about Goetz is does she have the "fire" to pull in donors in a stagnant market that's showing that some good options are there for the future. The Vikes are on the upswing and have a new stadium. The Wolves have an exciting roster. There needs to be someone with some wow factor to draw in donors. Goetz strikes me as someone who would do a damn good job running the program in the right direction, but doing nothing to continue to increase/bring in the revenue. It's a matter of what you want in an AD. Someone to push the envelope and engage boosters. Or someone to make sure your program is run efficiently where it's at and not move up or down.

- Doogie said that Goetz has "all sorts of support" from Eric Kaler's office and on campus. Eric Kaler is hearing from donors that worry if Beth can be the face of the athletic department. Is she sharp enough to do the interviews, to raise the money.

- Doogie said she's been the interim AD for 9 or 10 months and "as far as I know, unless the University is holding back information, Beth Goetz has not raised $1. Not 1 fundraising dollar."

- The name to watch is Sean Frazier at Northern Illinois. Doogie said he so wants to be an AD in the Big Ten that he's willing to go through the entire circus act.

- Doogie thinks its a two-person race between Beth Goetz and Sean Frazier.

Here is a link to the Podcast:

Go Gophers!!

Sean Frazier is the black version of Jerry Kill��

http://archive.boston.com/sports/colleges/articles/2007/09/09/merrimack_seeking_athletic_director/

Are there really people in the world who wouldn't leave Merrimack for a Big 10 job?

He left Merrimack for Northern Illinois but your point remains the same. If offered he will take the Gopher job.

Let B. Goetz be the nuts and bolts person, and Sid be the spokesperson.

Did anyone catch Reusse clarifying the true version of Sid and Prince's relationship?

One question Sean Frazier presumably will be asked: Why did women's basketball head coach, Kathi Bennett, resign last May? (Bennett had been hired by the previous AD, Jeff Compher (Kill's guy). I think, in a much earlier thread, I speculated maybe they didn't get along at UW when Bennett was a WBB assistant coach.

http://northernstar.info/sports/gog...cle_b57a334a-f210-11e4-9d9d-d3fe44ef08e5.html

“We thank Coach Bennett for her years of dedication to NIU and wish her the best in the future,” Frazier said, according to an NIU Athletics news release. “We will work diligently and quickly to find the best person and coach to lead the Huskie women’s basketball program going forward.”

Talk about an emotionally disconnected quote from Frazier. It has the smell of a stock quote with a reminder to “Insert name here.”

Bennett hasn’t returned any phone calls from the Star seeking comment, and the Athletic Department hasn’t been of any help in clarifying why she resigned, either. Matt Scheerer, assistant media relations director for women’s basketball, said all questions about Bennett needed to be directed to Donna Turner, associate athletic director for communications, but wouldn’t say why.

And, why did Bennett receive a 20 month ($230,000) buyout after resigning?

http://www.nwherald.com/2015/05/12/...ed-20-month-buyout-after-resignation/a55z6ti/

The resignation agreement calls for Bennett to be paid for her work through the fiscal year ending June 30, then 18 more months of pay, according to the “buy out” terms in her employment agreement.

NIU financial records show that Bennett made $138,372 in total compensation during the 2013-14 school year.

If the remainder of her contract was for the same amount, Bennett's buyout was worth more than $230,000, due to be paid to her before Friday.

Frazier hired a Division II head coach, Lisa Carlsen, to replace Bennett.

http://www.huskiewire.com/articles/2015/06/30/b784353d2fb542b982b7861e049de4ce/index.xml

The position became available after former coach Kathi Bennett unexpectedly resigned on April 29. Bennett compiled a record of 57-93 in five seasons at Northern Illinois and was 12-17 in 2014-15. The Huskies were riddled by injuries this past season – losing Natecia Augusta and Jazmine Harris before the season began.

While Frazier said he’s happy the search is over and he found a coach he’s excited about, he didn’t want to rush the process of finding a replacement for Bennett. Carlsen, who still has loose ends to tie up like finding a place to live and schools for her four children, said she’s happy the process is over and to become the newest Huskie coach

In case you missed it; They had a chance meeting in the hallway....Prince says "Hello Mr Hartman".....the person with Sid explains to him who it was.....

As time goes on Sid says; "We have a relationship, we often step into a hallway and chat."

It started with a phone call, the kind Bob Hagan has taken thousands of times in his role as the Minnesota Vikings' public relations director, during the final week of January in 2007.

Sid Hartman, a Minneapolis Star Tribune columnist and the legendary dean of Minnesota media, had a request. Someone had told Sid that the halftime performer for Super Bowl XLI had a Minnesota connection.

"He said, 'Hey, I want to say hello to that Prince guy,'" Hagan recalled this week. "'Can you set that up? I want to say hello.'"...

Hagan's NFL credential got them backstage, and they talked their way past a second wave of security. A third security officer was less willing. Finally, Hagan said: "I know you probably don't know this man, but other than Prince, he's the most famous guy in our state."

The officer relented, and now Sid and Hagan were walking down a hallway toward the "green room," where Prince was preparing for what would be a 12-minute performance in front of reporters. Then they saw him. The superstar -- Prince, not Sid -- was walking the other way and surrounded by his bodyguards.

And Sid did what he always does. He chased down the guy he wanted to talk to.

"Hey Prince! Prince! Hey, Prince!" is the way Hagan remembers Sid flagging him down.

At that moment, everything stopped. The bodyguards looked over and saw an 87-year-old sportswriter trying to get a little personal time with one of the quirkiest celebrities of our times.

"The seas just parted," Hagan said. "And Prince turned around, really slow, to see who this was."

Prince looked at Sid.

Sid looked at Prince.

"Hello, Mr. Hartman," Prince said. "How are you?"

Everyone -- the bodyguards, other staffers, Hagan -- stood there, mouths agape. They couldn't decide whether it was more stunning that someone had the audacity to chase down Prince, or that Prince had responded in kind.

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/18664/that-day-when-prince-met-sid-hartman

In case you missed it; They had a chance meeting in the hallway....Prince says "Hello Mr Hartman".....the person with Sid explains to him who it was.....

As time goes on Sid says; "We have a relationship, we often step into a hallway and chat."

So you're saying I guessed right.

Sid says they chatted just yesterday.

Top Bottom