ESPN: Lessons learned from spring practice: Minnesota Golden Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

2. The new coordinators aren't afraid of changing it up.

Granted, they have been a bit secretive about specific changes -- Claeys said he'd like Minnesota to catch its opponents off-guard -- but there already have been quite a few adjustments. Offensive coordinator Jay Johnson has moved to a zone-blocking scheme, while defensive coordinator Jay Sawvel has experimented with different schemes in third-down situations.

The running backs already seem to have bought into Johnson's tweaks. Brooks told the Minneapolis Star Tribune, "I feel like it fits this offense here more than just power all the time." Because of Johnson's past at Louisiana-Lafayette, Minnesota is expected to use some pistol formations.

As for Sawvel, who's in his sixth year at Minnesota but first as coordinator, he emphasized during the spring just how much the Gophers need to improve on third-down defense. Last season, Minnesota ranked No. 88 nationally in opponent third-down percentage (41.6 percent). The only B1G teams that fared worse? Indiana, Purdue and Rutgers. Sawvel might choose to run a 3-4, add different blitz packages and/or just put some faster personnel in on third-and-longs. It's not quite clear just what he'll do. But we did learn these two coordinators aren't sticking to the stats quo.

3. Minnesota is getting a lot of help in the trenches from its junior-college enrollees. Give a lot of credit to the Gophers here because, on paper, none of their three junior-college linemen was rated above three stars. Still, they were expected to come in and make an immediate impact. And they've done that: Merrick Jackson at defensive tackle, Vincent Calhoun at right guard and Garrison Wright at left tackle.

Calhoun was our spring breakout player after the right side of the line experienced a lot of success in the spring game. And Wright also earned a start in the scrimmage.

"I've been very pleased," offensive line coach Bart Miller said about the pair. "Not only with their retention, but that they've come in and competed right away. They've added a physical element; they've got some ability."

Jackson is no different. Defensive tackle has more depth, so Jackson might not start. But he'll still contribute behind Steven Richardson and Scott Ekpe. Claeys complimented his offseason work even before spring practice started. And, during the spring game, Jackson turned in a scrimmage-high 2.5 tackles for loss.

All in all, those three juco players bring a lot more size and physicality to the Gophers. Of Minnesota's four biggest players, in terms of weight, three of them are the jucos.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post...from-spring-practice-minnesota-golden-gophers

Go Gophers!!

per ESPN:

2. The new coordinators aren't afraid of changing it up.

Granted, they have been a bit secretive about specific changes -- Claeys said he'd like Minnesota to catch its opponents off-guard -- but there already have been quite a few adjustments. Offensive coordinator Jay Johnson has moved to a zone-blocking scheme, while defensive coordinator Jay Sawvel has experimented with different schemes in third-down situations.

The running backs already seem to have bought into Johnson's tweaks. Brooks told the Minneapolis Star Tribune, "I feel like it fits this offense here more than just power all the time." Because of Johnson's past at Louisiana-Lafayette, Minnesota is expected to use some pistol formations.

As for Sawvel, who's in his sixth year at Minnesota but first as coordinator, he emphasized during the spring just how much the Gophers need to improve on third-down defense. Last season, Minnesota ranked No. 88 nationally in opponent third-down percentage (41.6 percent). The only B1G teams that fared worse? Indiana, Purdue and Rutgers. Sawvel might choose to run a 3-4, add different blitz packages and/or just put some faster personnel in on third-and-longs. It's not quite clear just what he'll do. But we did learn these two coordinators aren't sticking to the stats quo.

3. Minnesota is getting a lot of help in the trenches from its junior-college enrollees. Give a lot of credit to the Gophers here because, on paper, none of their three junior-college linemen was rated above three stars. Still, they were expected to come in and make an immediate impact. And they've done that: Merrick Jackson at defensive tackle, Vincent Calhoun at right guard and Garrison Wright at left tackle.

Calhoun was our spring breakout player after the right side of the line experienced a lot of success in the spring game. And Wright also earned a start in the scrimmage.

"I've been very pleased," offensive line coach Bart Miller said about the pair. "Not only with their retention, but that they've come in and competed right away. They've added a physical element; they've got some ability."

Jackson is no different. Defensive tackle has more depth, so Jackson might not start. But he'll still contribute behind Steven Richardson and Scott Ekpe. Claeys complimented his offseason work even before spring practice started. And, during the spring game, Jackson turned in a scrimmage-high 2.5 tackles for loss.

All in all, those three juco players bring a lot more size and physicality to the Gophers. Of Minnesota's four biggest players, in terms of weight, three of them are the jucos.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post...from-spring-practice-minnesota-golden-gophers

Go Gophers!!

Good Lawd! Don't tell olddoc that! JUCO players are Satan's handiwork!

Yes, for the love of Goldy, please fix our 3rd down defense. Try anything... please!

Yes, for the love of Goldy, please fix our 3rd down defense. Try anything... please!

What is crazy about this is it still appears that the 2015 defense would have been a lights out shutdown defense vs Most all of the defenses from about 2000 to 2012. We would have won that 03' game against Michigan. Yes that game and Northwestern 2000, and 2008 still hurt.

What is crazy about this is it still appears that the 2015 defense would have been a lights out shutdown defense vs Most all of the defenses from about 2000 to 2012. We would have won that 03' game against Michigan. Yes that game and Northwestern 2000, and 2008 still hurt.

I won't argue against our defense being great 90% of the time last year. But honestly how many 3rd and longs did we let opposition convert? Just decrease those by say 10-20% and get us in a normal defenses range for stopping 3rd and long and we win at least 2 maybe even 3 more games last year. The 3rd and longs killed us. They cost us 1-2 scores almost every game.

I won't argue against our defense being great 90% of the time last year. But honestly how many 3rd and longs did we let opposition convert? Just decrease those by say 10-20% and get us in a normal defenses range for stopping 3rd and long and we win at least 2 maybe even 3 more games last year. The 3rd and longs killed us. They cost us 1-2 scores almost every game.

I agree. I guess I was just thinking about how bad some of those other defenses were. I still have nightmares about Navarre to Perry. Basically the same play helped Michigan overcome a 21 point deficit to win by 3.

Chills!!!

The Michigan and Nebraska losses we got crushed on Third down

I think a lot of it had to do with a lack of a pass rush. Need the DL to step it up in that department this season.

What is crazy about this is it still appears that the 2015 defense would have been a lights out shutdown defense vs Most all of the defenses from about 2000 to 2012. We would have won <b>that 03' game against Michigan. </b>Yes that game and Northwestern 2000, and 2008 still hurt.

I thought we had an unwritten rule on GH to not mention that certain game.

JCOS are not Satan's handiwork but to me they are a sign the coaching staff has done poor job recruiting enough quality high schol players.
This is just an opinion.
Let us see how this season and subsequent seasons conference results turn out.
There is no substitute for experimentation.

Backup Michigan qb threw dart on third and long for td. That stung

Amongst others. Our offense inability on third down made it worse

JCOS are not Satan's handiwork but to me they are a sign the coaching staff has done poor job recruiting enough quality high schol players.
This is just an opinion.

I agree with your opinion that it shows a lack of recruiting high quality preps. I think that's indisputable. Where I differ is that I think certain positions, like DT are very tough to recruit if you're not a helmet school, so I give the staff a bit of a pass. Guys who's 300+, explosive and want to play DT don't just grow on trees. Especially in Minnesota. Like in basketball, everyone would like to have a couple quality, 7' players, but there's just not enough to go around. Also, it feels like it's a real crap shoot with these young DT's and lot of them wash out. It feels like the Jucos are more of a sure thing. Like you, I can see the gaping hole in the depth chart 3 years down the line. So yes, I agree it needs to be fixed, but I'd be happy as can be with more Juco DT's like Roland Johnson and Merrick Jackson.

I think a lot of it had to do with a lack of a pass rush. Need the DL to step it up in that department this season.

Yeah, lots of time we still had decent rush just didn't contain. Anyway, I think improving just in that one area could have had a drastic change in the outcome of our season so I'm glad the new DC is working on it and trying new things.

This is just an opinion.
I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that point, even the staff.
Claeys has done everything but yell out loud that we were recruiting the some of the wrong guys. He can't be any more specific because some of them are still on the team and embarrassing them is unfair. Additionally, I expect some of the young guys to contribute a lot. I expect half a dozen of them to be good players, not counting the incoming freshmen who I believe could be very good, and Limegrover chose as well. A lot of the problem is low numbers in a couple of year and some big losses due to injuries early in some kids careers.

Let us see how this years class matches up with the other teams in the West.
It has been a very slow start but there is still a lot of time left to signing day.

This is just an opinion.

This is true in some cases. But there are situations where you have a lot of players transfer or leave early because of injuries. That kinda happened with our OL after last year. A few guys decided to move on that could have continued to play. Signing a few jucos can help balance out classes.

I don't think jucos are bad as long as you don't sign a lot of them. The staff, for the most part, has only signed one or two per year.

I agree. I guess I was just thinking about how bad some of those other defenses were. I still have nightmares about Navarre to Perry. Basically the same play helped Michigan overcome a 21 point deficit to win by 3.

Chills!!!

Had Curtese Poole managed to keep his balance and keep on running, Gopher history might have changed dramatically.

Had Curtese Poole managed to keep his balance and keep on running, Gopher history might have changed dramatically.

What's this now? I'm a young'un and don't know what this is referring to.

Top Bottom