Chip Scoggins: Gang of 16 interviewers clogging search for Gophers AD

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

The University of Minnesota’s marathon process of finding a new athletic director apparently is close to entering the next phase.

Don’t worry, folks. They’re almost halfway done.

The outside search firm Turnkey has conducted a series of phone and in-person interviews the past few weeks and will submit a list of candidates for formal interviews with university President Eric Kaler and his 900-member internal search committee.

The actual number on Kaler’s hand-picked committee is 16, but it might as well be 900 because the size of that group served as a stop sign for some potential candidates.

How many? I don’t know, but people privately have shared their concerns.

http://www.startribune.com/gang-of-16-interviewers-clogging-search-for-gophers-ad/377891441/

Go Gophers!!

The committee the wrong group to attack here, they wouldn't be needed if the President had some stones

because the size of that group served as a stop sign for some potential candidates

I had a conversation last week with a current AD at a Division I school who had mild interest in the job.

OMG someone with mild interest was miffed at the prospect of doing interviews for a job that takes a lot of work!

The committee the wrong group to attack here, they wouldn't be needed if the President had some stones

This whole process shows a lack of leadership at the top.

Just more piles of bureaucracy and correctness.

This whole process shows a lack of leadership at the top.

Just more piles of bureaucracy and correctness.

An attempt to make the hire as transparent as possible with mucho CYA committee members is open to much speculation and controversy.

If Kaler had choose to make the hire behind close doors there would have been much speculation and controversy.

Plus the hire is long overdue which in itself is open to much speculation and controversy.

Either way, no one is happy.:(

I doubt all 16 will meet with every candidate. Probably more like one candidate will talk to the full group while most will just interview with Kaler and the key members.

Edit: I just clicked on the article and saw Scroggins made the same point.

An attempt to make the hire as transparent as possible with mucho CYA committee members is open to much speculation and controversy.

If Kaler had choose to make the hire behind close doors there would have been much speculation and controversy.

Plus the hire is long overdue which in itself is open to much speculation and controversy.

Either way, no one is happy.:(

Yep, it's the nature of the beast. Huge enterprise with many stockholders. The tendency is to overcorrect if you mess up the last time whether it's the wrong person (Mega-tongue) or the process that got you that person (Small group choosing him quickly and "secretly"). Also doesn't help with the whole perception when you have the former football players bitching openly and all sorts of local people campaigning openly. Way too much angst expended over this. We'll never know but I'm not too worried that the way this is being done is going to result in us losing that person who is the only one that can do the job. They'll be good candidates at the end.

All this just to make hiring Beth Goetz seem more valid...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

No wonder tuition is so expensive. You know what happens to companies that do stuff like this in the private sector? Warren Buffet buys them and fires every fourth person.

People are going to bitch that the search committee is too large, or if it's too small. They'll bitch if it's taking too long or if they feel it was rushed. Some will like the eventual hire but many will not. I'm tired of the whining (I expect it from many of you; just fed up with the public statements by stakeholders and would-be candidates, as well as a local media that feels like they can only get readers by putting a negative spin on all things UM.

No wonder tuition is so expensive. You know what happens to companies that do stuff like this in the private sector? Warren Buffet buys them and fires every fourth person.

Buffett rarely buys companies in the private sector that he views as poorly run, and thus, rarely comes in and "fires every fourth person." Almost all the time he buys companies he views as being well run, and lets current leadership and every fourth person continue to do what they are doing.

That being said, I understand your point.

While the process hasn't been as clean and crisp as many would hope, if the list of names that was floated in the STrib is correct, we have some very solid candidates. Let's just hope we choose the right one.

Go Gophers!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think anyone on this 16 person panel is being paid.

People are going to bitch that the search committee is too large, or if it's too small. They'll bitch if it's taking too long or if they feel it was rushed. Some will like the eventual hire but many will not. I'm tired of the whining (I expect it from many of you; just fed up with the public statements by stakeholders and would-be candidates, as well as a local media that feels like they can only get readers by putting a negative spin on all things UM.

because the size of that group served as a stop sign for some potential candidates

I had a conversation last week with a current AD at a Division I school who had mild interest in the job.

OMG someone with mild interest was miffed at the prospect of doing interviews for a job that takes a lot of work!

+1

I have a mild interest in wading through Chip's prose.

This whole process shows a lack of leadership.

Time to admit it folks.

I doubt all 16 will meet with every candidate. Probably more like one candidate will talk to the full group while most will just interview with Kaler and the key members.

Edit: I just clicked on the article and saw Scroggins made the same point.

Then why write the article?

Typical bull**** click-bait.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think anyone on this 16 person panel is being paid.

Yes, its probably all university employees on the committee and they are not paid "extra" for serving on that committee (or I have never heard of employees being paid extra for sitting on a search committee). A 16-person committee seemingly would create a logistical nightmare to find time for all of them to meet.

Yes, its probably all university employees on the committee and they are not paid "extra" for serving on that committee (or I have never heard of employees being paid extra for sitting on a search committee). A 16-person committee seemingly would create a logistical nightmare to find time for all of them to meet.

Yes most members have ties to the University but they are not all University employees: there are a couple of COO's, several CEO's a president, etc.

Clearly, the committee will not meet with all the candidates. They likely only review the resumes of the candidates. Give their input, and pass that on to the president and board of regents. Not the cluster everyone wants to believe it is.

Clearly, the committee will not meet with all the candidates. They likely only review the resumes of the candidates. Give their input, and pass that on to the president and board of regents. Not the cluster everyone wants to believe it is.

Anytime you have a committee of 16 PLUS a search committee, you have a cluster.

You don't get things done that way.

Leaders lead, people pleasers run in circles and pussyfoot.

My concern with the size of the committee isn't the burden of meeting them all, it is that people with really good jobs don't want it known they are interviewing for a different job, and 16 mouths is a lot to try to keep shut.

Top Bottom