Mose Hall Transferring

Why can't we find home grown or Midwestern DTs? NDSU seem to have success with MN & Wisc kids. At least make that position attractive for national recruits to start noticing.

NDSU has success with those kids in FCS. Beating 1 mediocre to bad FBS team per year (and actually 0 last year) doesn't make their success relevant.

You're clearly not much of a planner. Where's all that depth in 2 years?

Oh no worries, we'll just have a bunch of new freshmen at DT (maybe mixed in with another juco if we're lucky).

Mose Hall is not going to be the reason we don't have good DTs in 2 years. I think it's fine to worry about our depth, I think Mose Hall being the triggering factor in being concerned is dumb. Of course, the comeback is that we're transitioning to a 3-4 and we won't need many DTs.

NDSU has success with those kids in FCS. Beating 1 mediocre to bad FBS team per year (and actually 0 last year) doesn't make their success relevant.

Kansas State win wasn't mediocre.

GiI, have you ever had a puppy? The puppy does bizarre illogical things and you find yourself trying to reason with it. Eventually, you just have to admit "this creature is incapable of any sort of logic". When it comes to olddoc, you need to come to that realization :).

That said, I completely agree with you're saying.

His stance on JuCo's is alarmingly stupid. His last statement was bizarre (he'll keep looking down his nose until they win the west?) Huh?

Good point!

I'm not sure that one victory 3 years ago over an 8-5 Power 5 team means that Minnesota should be modeling their recruiting off of NDSU.
correct

Ndsu has few Kids we'd happily take but they.don't outrecruit us

I'm not sure that one victory 3 years ago over an 8-5 Power 5 team means that Minnesota should be modeling their recruiting off of NDSU.

Agreed, just stating that it wasn't a mediocre win. K State was a good team and it was at home for them.

correct

Ndsu has few Kids we'd happily take but they.don't outrecruit us

They had a better draft class than us this year. I think we've been about equal in terms of talent the last 3 or so years. We've had a better defense, they've had a better offense, by quite a bit.

They had a better draft class than us this year. I think we've been about equal in terms of talent the last 3 or so years. We've had a better defense, they've had a better offense, by quite a bit.

NDSU has had a lot of talent in the last few years. As salzie said, they have had plenty of guys who were better than players on our team. However, we weren't outrecruited for those players. We didn't have players choosing NDSU offers over Gopher offers. They did a better job of finding talent and developing talent.

It is hard to speculate, but when you start losing kids like him in defense with good size something is not adding up. Especially a hard to fill position at DT.

Why can't we find home grown or Midwestern DTs? NDSU seem to have success with MN & Wisc kids. At least make that position attractive for national recruits to start noticing.

We need nastiness and pressure up the middle.

Why didn't the Gophers offer Jamahl Johnson from Prior Lake? I thought he really wanted to be a Gopher. http://247sports.com/Player/Jamahl-Johnson-56651

Academics? Work ethic? A little slow to Claeys' liking? At 6' 1/2" 305 lbs, he is a little bigger than Steve Richardson.

Amir Watts opting for Pitt was a hard breaker. Wasn't he the reason the Gophers changed their mind on Sean Foster? Wasn't Amir tossing Sean around like a rag doll when the Gophers coaches when to watch him in person?
http://247sports.com/Player/Amir-Watts-79736

Hall wasn't a top recruit in the first place. He just seemed important because we lost out on some other guys. I was never very impressed with his HS highlights or what I saw in practice. It didn't surprise me one bit when he got moved to OL. Then back to DL.

We have added homegrown and Midwestern DT's. Rashede Hageman, Steven Richardson & Andrew Stelter come to mind.

Jamahl Johnson received one D1 offer total I believe? What does that tell you?

Losing Watts was a heart breaker. We'll back fill with Jucos and sell playing time to Preps. It'll all work out.

You're clearly not much of a planner. Where's all that depth in 2 years?

Oh no worries, we'll just have a bunch of new freshmen at DT (maybe mixed in with another juco if we're lucky).

Would you rather have a Juco like Roland Johnson or Merrick Jackson, or a guy who was never going to play? We'll back fill with Jucos and sell playing time to preps.

Here we go JCO again and then put our thumbs in our mouth and ask what happened to our depth when the inevitable injuries occur.
Going the the second and third tier JCO route instead of the freshmen and bulid a program route is recruiting failure.

Wasn't our recent signee Merrick Jackson a All American from one of the top tier Jucos in the nation? Roland Johnson was a pretty nice addition when we got him as well. The only one that comes to mind that was a 2nd or 3rd tier Juco would be Robert Ndondo-Lay and I believe he was a walk on? In a perfect world we'd sign 3-4 really good preps every year, but DT is a special animal. It's like a true center in basketball. There's just not that many of them out there and the top guys have every helmet school in the nation lining up. Claeys and Sawvel will get this fixed. In the meantime we have the best depth at DT in my life time with Scott Ekpe/Merrick Jackson/Steve Richardson/Andrew Stelter all being quality players, plus Shoob Timms and Gary Moore ebing capable of pitching in as well.

Great posts CRG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDSU has had a lot of talent in the last few years. As salzie said, they have had plenty of guys who were better than players on our team. However, we weren't outrecruited for those players. We didn't have players choosing NDSU offers over Gopher offers. They did a better job of finding talent and developing talent.

Correct. Haeg was a walk on at ndsu that blossomed

yep, I agree.

Wasn't our recent signee Merrick Jackson a All American from one of the top tier Jucos in the nation? Roland Johnson was a pretty nice addition when we got him as well. The only one that comes to mind that was a 2nd or 3rd tier Juco would be Robert Ndondo-Lay and I believe he was a walk on? In a perfect world we'd sign 3-4 really good preps every year, but DT is a special animal. It's like a true center in basketball. There's just not that many of them out there and the top guys have every helmet school in the nation lining up. Claeys and Sawvel will get this fixed. In the meantime we have the best depth at DT in my life time with Scott Ekpe/Merrick Jackson/Steve Richardson/Andrew Stelter all being quality players, plus Shoob Timms and Gary Moore ebing capable of pitching in as well.

While all of this makes sense, it goes against a simple rule. . . JuCo = Bad.

So I have to disagree.

Good post. I really don't get the people fretting about the DT position. If they want to stress about a spot on the Defensive Line it should be DE not DT.

Oh wait.... that was us!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Going to JC he plays right away instead of sitting out a year at another D1 school. Then, two years of eligibility at a D1 school with immediate playing time?

Like the grains of sand through the hourglass, these are the Gopher transfers

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Going to JC he plays right away instead of sitting out a year at another D1 school. Then, two years of eligibility at a D1 school with immediate playing time?
Butler is FCS, he plays right away, you only have to sit if it's within the same division or higher.

Butler is FCS, he plays right away, you only have to sit if it's within the same division or higher.
Butler Community College, not Butler University.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Depending on how it goes he could return and provide immediate depth at a position of need...maybe ?

Top Bottom