The new turf is in at Minnesota Stadium (aka The Bank)

supadupafly

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nice to see the temporary bleachers are gone!!

I kinda hope that's where they build the the first set of *potential* expansion seats though.

They were good sight lines and a permanent structure would make it less like an erector set.

Naw leave it open, it's really nice to mingle back there.

Wow. We've had offensive troubles. How will we ever cross the goal line

Gee, I wonder whats under that nice new carpet??? Does anyone really know?

Did we ever determine if they removed the heating coils as some suggested they were going to do or not?

Did we ever determine if they removed the heating coils as some suggested they were going to do or not?

I don't recall a single credible claim that was going to happen, nor does it make sense....

Now that the end is open does anyone know if the beer sales are returning to that location? I kind of liked being able to get beer at locations closer to my seats.

Now that the end is open does anyone know if the beer sales are returning to that location? I kind of liked being able to get beer at locations closer to my seats.

I gotta assume beer would come back there. There is more room now and beer is everywhere else.

It's a popular spot to hang out (or will be again) so beer seems to make sense there.

I hope they bring the trees back.

Wow. We've had offensive troubles. How will we ever cross the goal line

You're looking at the glass and seeing it half empty. Mitch Leidner scores a TD every time he sets foot on the field.

I don't recall a single credible claim that was going to happen, nor does it make sense....

Agree, I think that would have been a pretty big story if they were taking the coils out, someone would have had something about it. The only reason I could possibly see for doing something like that would be if they were a massive problem from a maintenance standpoint and I find it hard to believe that they would be.

A little disappointed that they didn't make the endzones maroon, but it is what it is I guess.

The idea that the coils were being removed was brought up on here. I assumed it was meant to create a rub with those that are slow with sarcasm. It was brilliant, actually. I didn't start it but enjoyed watching folks bite on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The idea that the coils were being removed was brought up on here. I assumed it was meant to create a rub with those that are slow with sarcasm. It was brilliant, actually. I didn't start it but enjoyed watching folks bite on it.

I heard they're recycling all the plastic seats because they contain BPA....

Honestly, looking at some of the pictures it kind of looked like they did remove them. When they put the Vikings turf on, when the turf was mostly installed you could clearly see the coils under the remaining portion. When they put this turf on you could not see them. Now, it could just be that the coils settled into the sand that is under the carpet and they aren't visible. Or they added sand on top, whatever.

I wouldn't be surprised either way. I know that there is maintenance and you do need to periodically run them just to keep the system in good shape and all that costs money. But how much money and whether it is enough to justify removing (which also costs money), that I'm not sure.

Frankly, it's kind of a non-issue. There's been one Gopher game I can think of where the heated field would have been a significant benefit (if I remember right Iowa in 2010. Though you could argue the frozen field evened the teams enough to allow the Gophers to win). And if there's ever a fluid leak under the field you'll never hear the end of it - the U will probably demolish the stadium and turn it into a park to appease the environmentalists. :)

Honestly, looking at some of the pictures it kind of looked like they did remove them. When they put the Vikings turf on, when the turf was mostly installed you could clearly see the coils under the remaining portion. When they put this turf on you could not see them. Now, it could just be that the coils settled into the sand that is under the carpet and they aren't visible. Or they added sand on top, whatever.

I wouldn't be surprised either way. I know that there is maintenance and you do need to periodically run them just to keep the system in good shape and all that costs money. But how much money and whether it is enough to justify removing (which also costs money), that I'm not sure.

Frankly, it's kind of a non-issue. There's been one Gopher game I can think of where the heated field would have been a significant benefit (if I remember right Iowa in 2010. Though you could argue the frozen field evened the teams enough to allow the Gophers to win). And if there's ever a fluid leak under the field you'll never hear the end of it - the U will probably demolish the stadium and turn it into a park to appease the environmentalists. :)

I would say more like one game per season. I remember Brock Vereen saying how hard the ground was in a late home game against Wisconsin. We've had other games about as cold as that. There was snow ringing the field when we played Purdue in an October game during the stadium's first season. I don't think heating coils are a necessity, but they're definitely nice to have once or twice a season.

Top Bottom