Gophers and Arkansas start home and home, first game at The Barn!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Arkansas could be pretty good test. They return two guys that averaged close to 16ppg. They also hit the JUCO recruiting trail hard and picked up 3 of the top 6 Juco recruits in the country.

Nice, Arkansas usually challenges for the SEC every couple of years.
So we've got St. Johns and Arkansas visiting the barn, ACC challenge most likely on the road, the men who speak up event. Solid start to the schedule.

They should be solid, they missed out on some good instate talent. Lost Monk to Kentucky, lost to us on Curry and to Vandy for another four star. Can imagine they would hit the JUCO trail hard after missing those guys. Should be a good game between teams with plenty of new faces.

I like it...a good start to what I hope is a more robust non-conference schedule moving forward.

There should be a law against neutral site games.

Neutral site = screw the fans.

Has anyone heard from Selection Sunday?

My goodness, the gentleman has spent the better part of the past decade concerned that the Gophers have not scheduled a high major for a home-and-home....and now, word comes out that they've done just that, and SS is silent. Did the shock of the announcement cause him harm? It has been 20 hours since the report.

In all seriousness, SS's commentary is the top thing I enjoy about the basketball board here. I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say about Arkansas.

I think I am happier for SS than I am about the match up and I like the match up. He deserves this

Has anyone heard from Selection Sunday?

My goodness, the gentleman has spent the better part of the past decade concerned that the Gophers have not scheduled a high major for a home-and-home....and now, word comes out that they've done just that, and SS is silent. Did the shock of the announcement cause him harm? It has been 20 hours since the report.

In all seriousness, SS's commentary is the top thing I enjoy about the basketball board here. I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say about Arkansas.

I'm here TJ, thanks for the concern! Wouldn't you know it the announcement comes on a day I'm out of town and not able to peruse the "interweb" very much.

Very glad to hear this. Any home-and-home vs. a Power 6 opponent is a good thing, progress. Arkansas seems to be a good fit. Prefer playing the same kind of style Pitino prefers, fast. Shot clock shouldn't be a problem in this one.

Or allows the fans a reason to travel someplace. Great for guy's trips without the wife!

you've never heard of road games? weird. gophers will play half their big ten regular season in traditional road games, all great spots for trips.

you've never heard of road games? weird. gophers will play half their big ten regular season in traditional road games, all great spots for trips.

Vegas just has a better ring to it than West Lafeyette

Arkansas and St. John's at the Barn. What's the media going to b*tch about now?

Arkansas and St. John's at the Barn. What's the media going to b*tch about now?
Clemson and S Dakota State were better than either of these two teams, so I think we'll wait and see what the rest of the home slate looks like. I would have much rather seen Butler and Iowa State.

Clemson and S Dakota State were better than either of these two teams, so I think we'll wait and see what the rest of the home slate looks like. I would have much rather seen Butler and Iowa State.

Beggers can't be choosers.

Beggers can't be choosers.

Exactly.

We finally have a Power 6 home-and-home + a Gavitt Tipoff opponent (Saint John's) at Williams Arena as a bonus. That's a good thing.

I suspect we've seen the "meat" (Saint John's/Arkansas/@ ACC/2 of Alabama-BYU-Valpo) of the Gophers' non-conference schedule. Would expect the rest of the games to be fillers (cupcakes), perhaps a neutral-site game thrown in there somewhere?

Exactly.

We finally have a Power 6 home-and-home + a Gavitt Tipoff opponent (Saint John's) at Williams Arena as a bonus. That's a good thing.

I suspect we've seen the "meat" (Saint John's/Arkansas/@ ACC/2 of Alabama-BYU-Valpo) of the Gophers' non-conference schedule. Would expect the rest of the games to be fillers (cupcakes), perhaps a neutral-site game thrown in there somewhere?

I suppose will see the usual suspects. UNO, a couple Dakota schools, suppose a home game with an ACC team is possible.

Were we really begging for 2 teams that didn't crack the top 100 last year?

No, but we we've been begging for programs that the casual fan of college basketball has heard of. Most people view S.Dakota State as a little engine that could, they're not a big name that gets people excited to buy season tickets I agree I would like to see Clemson again, they could be good. But Arkansas is an SEC school and St.Johns has a strong college basketball tradition, with a former member of the Dream Team as their head coach. I agree they're better teams, but at this point I am not going to complain about which power six school decides to want to come play us in the Barn. I think will see good crowds for both these games and hopfully a couple wins to give the team confidence going into conference play.

Were we really begging for 2 teams that didn't crack the top 100 last year?

And we were 8-23. Did you think Duke and Kansas were banging down Pitino's door for a home-and-home with the Gophers? We need to approach upgrading our schedule from a realistic point of view. Arkansas is the right kind of team for this time and place.

For what it's worth, next season Saint John's is being viewed as a team similar to the Gophers. Being touted as teams that "potentially" could make a big jump in 2016-17 after disastrous 2015-16 seasons.

Of the two games, I'm actually more excited about Saint John's than Arkansas.

Top Bottom