GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Tracy Claeys - 5/1/16

DL65

Reaction score
Topics covered on today’s Sports Huddle included transfers, satellite camps, off-season workouts, and NFL evaluations. The following are Tracy Claeys remarks related to those topics:

1) Sid’s first question was the NCAA’s recent approval of satellite camps:

Tracy said the difficult part of satellite camps is the use of technological equipment, especially since they rely heavily on the use of digital video equipment, “off site you lose a lot of it . . . have to work through it.” At the same time, he acknowledged “we have to stay in the game.”

2) Dave Mona asked, in a follow up question, what coaches at other schools think of satellite camps:

“I don’t think most of us want to do that,” Claeys replied. Again, video equipment used and needed in evaluations would be a problem at a satellite camp, according to Claeys.

However, if they conducted a satellite camp in the Sunshine State, Claeys said fund raising - in addition to exposure to potential recruits - would be another benefit, especially in the Naples, Florida area where there’s a large contingent of Minnesota alumni.

3) Sid wanted to know if he’s been meeting with current players since the end of spring practices:

Claeys said he completed individual meetings this past week. Discussions included where they currently stand at their position and the team, what they need to work on and improve, academics, and the player's thoughts and concerns. He stressed the importance of “open communication” in his response to Sid’s query.

4) Dave Mona asked – after citing the transfer of Chris Stereveler – if there were other players thinking of transferring:

“Could be a couple more,” Claeys answered. However, in his response, it didn’t sound as though there was any certainty of player or two leaving the team, but rather there’s always the possibility of a few players transferring following spring drills.

As to Chris Streveler, Claeys said Streveler wanted a bigger role and after spring drills they discussed his options, which didn’t include a bigger role with the Gophers. However, he said Chris Streveler may have a bigger role as a player by transferring. Claeys was very positive in his comments about Streveler and his work ethic. He is especially proud that Streveler has graduated, and he supported his decision.

5) Sid asked there would be any position changes this fall:

“Right now I don’t see any major changes,” Claeys replied.

He then turned his attention to special teams. He said those who see the field on special teams have a greater sense of being a part of the team, which helps them during practices. He would like to get as many players involved in game day situations, as possible.

6) Sid asked what their routine with the players is during the off-season:

Claeys said team members will be leaving for their home shortly and will return around June 6. He added, their contact with the players during off-season is limited due NCAA rules. They can work two hours a week with the players on skills development.

Claeys likened the changes necessary for off-season player contact to tax reform A lot of ideas but hard to get an agreement on the best ideas for rule changes.

Claeys said people assume they need the players fully dressed for contact work, but that’s not the case, “we want to work on individual skills.” He added that they’re responsible for the players and how they act during the off-season; they’d like to be more involved with the players during the off-season.

7) Dave Mona brought up the topic and problem of double booking at TCF Bank Stadium:

He acknowledged the university had a made the mistake in the double booking. But he didn’t elaborate specifically about the miscue. He did say the snafu occurs on a big day of recruiting – having players on campus when they have their annual bar-b-cue gathering.

8) Dave Mona asked the final question, which was about the NFL scouting and evaluating players eligible for the NFL Draft:

Claeys said the NFL scouts have a lot contact with Minnesota’s coaching staff through phone calls and when they come to the campus. They meet with coaches, trainers, academic advisors for the backgrounds of the potential players. “They spend more money then we spend on recruiting,” Claeys said.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks from White Mountains, AZ, elevation 6300 feet.

Thanks from White Mountains, AZ, elevation 6300 feet.

Glad to hear that you are staying high Doc. It is always good to hear from you no matter if you are high or low.

Why can't they take this super special video equipment with them to the satellite camp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like excuses from an unhappy man

Why can't they take this super special video equipment with them to the satellite camp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I don't think most of us want to do that" says to me he liked the ban. "We have to stay in the game" is a guy who does not appear to see it as an opportunity to raise the level and scope of Gopher recruiting. But if he has to he might pretend to do something. Dunno... definitely not embracing the opportunity. Dantonio was happy in contrast.

"I don't think most of us want to do that" says to me he liked the ban. "We have to stay in the game" is a guy who does not appear to see it as an opportunity to raise the level and scope of Gopher recruiting. But if he has to he might pretend to do something. Dunno... definitely not embracing the opportunity. Dantonio was happy in contrast.

Clearly, I just thought the reasoning he used (the video equipment) was absurd.

Top Bottom