Sid: Hoops team isn’t going to draw until it adds top-tier D1 teams to schedule

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

And the Gophers basketball team isn’t going to draw until it adds top-tier Division I teams instead of playing unknown Division II and III schools. And when it comes to lower-division squads, St. Thomas, Hamline, St. John’s and other area colleges would draw more fans than the opponents the Gophers had on the schedule this past season.

http://www.startribune.com/thibodeau-wanted-a-chance-to-grow-with-the-wolves/377706661/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid: And the Gophers basketball team isn’t going to draw until it adds top-tier Division I teams instead of playing unknown Division II and III schools. And when it comes to lower-division squads, St. Thomas, Hamline, St. John’s and other area colleges would draw more fans than the opponents the Gophers had on the schedule this past season. http://www.startribune.com/thibodeau-wanted-a-chance-to-grow-with-the-wolves/377706661/ Go Gophers!!

What division II and division III teams were on the Gophers schedule this year? Huh?

Who writes sids articles now? At 96 he has to have someone taking down his thoughts and putting them on paper.

Sid may be a little shaky on details - but the overall point is legitimate. The Gopher's non-conference schedule has been weak - which contributes to their low RPI rating. Let's say for the sake of argument that the Gophs come back with a better record next season. The poor non-conf schedule will make it harder for the Gophs to make the NCAA tournament as a bubble team.

By the way, the Gophs did play a couple of DII schools in their exhibition games, which is part of the non-conf schedule.

Sid may be a little shaky on details - but the overall point is legitimate. The Gopher's non-conference schedule has been weak - which contributes to their low RPI rating. Let's say for the sake of argument that the Gophs come back with a better record next season. The poor non-conf schedule will make it harder for the Gophs to make the NCAA tournament as a bubble team.

By the way, the Gophs did play a couple of DII schools in their exhibition games, which is part of the non-conf schedule.

Exhibition games are not part of the non-conference schedule. Yes, fans pay to get in, but they aren't part of the non-conference schedule. I doubt Sid realizes DI teams can't play other DI teams in exhibition games.

How does this make it to the paper?? D2 and d3 teams???

I am the biggest Sid supporter as I still listen every week when I can but this made me laugh. We don't play any D2 even on non conference schedule. And no non conference is made to get wins not losses. When we win fans will come like they always have in the pass. 10-8 gets u to the dance but F u loss 3 non conference games u are out of the tournament

I often wonder what some of the 'behind the scenes' discussions are like at the Strib and The Good Neighbor.

General point is correct - the non-conference schedule needs a shot of higher interest programs. Please, just not the Tar Heels.

General point is correct - the non-conference schedule needs a shot of higher interest programs. Please, just not the Tar Heels.

Why not? Nothing to lose in that game and it would get an excited large crowd.

The battle of the academic cheaters. Start the game by playing "We don't need no education..." from Pink Floyd.

Win and they will come...pretty simple

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Win and they will come...pretty simple

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not necessarily. It depends on who they beat. A victory over Tennessee Ernie Ford Tech draws about 6K actual bodies every time. A victory over a series of original B1G teams means a loud barn.

General point is correct - the non-conference schedule needs a shot of higher interest programs.

Bucky kicked off last year by stomping UW River Falls.. I'm fine with playing St Thomas or even St Olaf (given their recent success) as a somewhat meanenless tune-up game and then move to a top local D2 team, followed by a couple weak to average D1 squads.

I say we open up by kicking a little Ivy League ass. Mount Holyoke...Smith...Wellesley.

Ivy League teams are division 1! Schedule them! Except for Harvard and Yale of course.

Not necessarily. It depends on who they beat. A victory over Tennessee Ernie Ford Tech draws about 6K actual bodies every time. A victory over a series of original B1G teams means a loud barn.

I agree to a point. Win on a regular basis...year after year....they will come no matter who they play.

I often wonder what some of the 'behind the scenes' discussions are like at the Strib and The Good Neighbor.

"You said there's no way in hell that he'll make it past 90! Now what do we do?"

"Trust me, there's no way in hell that he'll make it past 100."

"Better not or you're the one we dare to get rid of."

"You said there's no way in hell that he'll make it past 90! Now what do we do?"

"Trust me, there's no way in hell that he'll make it past 100."

"Better not or you're the one we dare to get rid of."

Yeah, something like that.
:clap:

The battle of the academic cheaters. Start the game by playing "We don't need no education..." from Pink Floyd.
But no it wouldn't be - haven't you heard? The Tarheels men's teams didn't cheat. Just the women did. The NCAA told us so.

I'm pretty sure you have to play DII and DIII teams in the exhibition games so the Gophers are no different than anyone else when it comes to that.

I'm pretty sure you have to play DII and DIII teams in the exhibition games so the Gophers are no different than anyone else when it comes to that.

It's kind of like Alex playing Brandon, right?

Still pissed you guys beat us in the sub-district baseball tournament 1966.:)

Can do a closed door scrimmage with a D1 team, believe we went down to Ames a couple years ago for one

Top Bottom