Reusse: Pro teams lapping Gophers in fan interest

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

The issue for the Gophers is their major men’s programs are becoming second-class citizens more than ever.

When have football, men’s basketball and men’s hockey been more overwhelmed for attention by their pro counterparts as right now? Consider:

FOOTBALL. The Vikings have unearthed a huge and constantly optimistic following that is about to be in full awe when the Taj Ma Zygi opens in August.

Minnesota’s sporting public has embraced coach Mike Zimmer as a straight-shooting genius; quarterback Teddy Bridgewater as the answer to its prayers, and owner Zygi Wilf as a generous contributor to a stadium that will make his $600 million purchase worth $2 billion more than that the day it opens.

Meantime, the Gophers have lost a popular coach and are playing in a stadium that is going to seem very minor league when the Vikings’ palace opens.

http://www.startribune.com/pro-teams-lapping-gophers-in-fan-interest/377703491/

Go Gophers!!

Blah blah blah...click on my column. Blah blah...please click on my column. Bah blah blah...I'm no longer relevant.

The Vikings are one snap away from disaster. If Teddy goes down, or AP tweaks an ankle or knee they are toast.

He's such a Debbie Downer.

Looking at it honestly, it's hard to argue with anything Reusse said. The Vikings do own the state. The T-Wolves are suddenly being looked at by the national media as the up-and-coming team in the league with a great coach, and despite their inconsistency, the Wild is reporting sell-outs virtually every game.

on the other side, the Gopher FB team struggles to sell out a stadium that is half the size of the big boys in the big 10. Gopher men's Basketball had one of the worst years in program history - with attendance to match. and Gopher Men's hockey is becoming an afterthought in the sports scene thanks to the change in conferences.

Just because you don't like Reusse, that doesn't mean he's wrong.

Perhaps for a start Administration needs to clean up their act.

Are vikes fans really that excited about the new stadium? I was a long-time NFL/Vikes fan until 2010 and I think the new stadium looks, at best, unique. At worst, like the stillborn lovechild of a star destroyer and an overturned dinghy. It makes the Guthrie look attractive. It looks like a 3 yr old tried to glue together a box out of broken glass.

As with human faces, symmetry sings. I guess I'm not artsy enough.

6a00d8341c90b153ef016764f4301e970b.jpg

36d9007dfba4de4a565e97f6d1434aa4.jpg

6882511.jpg

4130715_orig.jpg

arcelormittal_2159769k.jpg

I like the new stadium, think it looks cool. Plus it fits with what has consistently been a fairly modern downtown area architecturally speaking. Interesting use of the transparent/translucent roof, the reflection of the other buildings downtown on the glass facade is great.

Metaphorically speaking, it is a Viking Ship.

per Pat:

The issue for the Gophers is their major men’s programs are becoming second-class citizens more than ever.

When have football, men’s basketball and men’s hockey been more overwhelmed for attention by their pro counterparts as right now? Consider:

FOOTBALL. The Vikings have unearthed a huge and constantly optimistic following that is about to be in full awe when the Taj Ma Zygi opens in August.

Minnesota’s sporting public has embraced coach Mike Zimmer as a straight-shooting genius; quarterback Teddy Bridgewater as the answer to its prayers, and owner Zygi Wilf as a generous contributor to a stadium that will make his $600 million purchase worth $2 billion more than that the day it opens.

Meantime, the Gophers have lost a popular coach and are playing in a stadium that is going to seem very minor league when the Vikings’ palace opens.

http://www.startribune.com/pro-teams-lapping-gophers-in-fan-interest/377703491/

Go Gophers!!

Reusse is always Reusse. He is that wart on your face that keeps popping up. It is small enough most of the time. You often ignore it. But once in a while, it gets big enough to warrant a trip to doc's office.

Looking at it honestly, it's hard to argue with anything Reusse said. The Vikings do own the state. The T-Wolves are suddenly being looked at by the national media as the up-and-coming team in the league with a great coach, and despite their inconsistency, the Wild is reporting sell-outs virtually every game.

on the other side, the Gopher FB team struggles to sell out a stadium that is half the size of the big boys in the big 10. Gopher men's Basketball had one of the worst years in program history - with attendance to match. and Gopher Men's hockey is becoming an afterthought in the sports scene thanks to the change in conferences.

Just because you don't like Reusse, that doesn't mean he's wrong.

To me, it isn't as much of "is he wrong" as it is that he spits out the same message every 1 to 2 weeks. It gets tired & boring.

He does it because he knows that it will get a reaction......because people actually do care about the Gophers.

This is not true. The gap in popularity was higher pre-mason, it was higher during late Brewster

Are vikes fans really that excited about the new stadium? I was a long-time NFL/Vikes fan until 2010 and I think the new stadium looks, at best, unique. At worst, like the stillborn lovechild of a star destroyer and an overturned dinghy. It makes the Guthrie look attractive. It looks like a 3 yr old tried to glue together a box out of broken glass.

As with human faces, symmetry sings. I guess I'm not artsy enough.

View attachment 4179

View attachment 4180

View attachment 4181

View attachment 4182

View attachment 4183

I was going to say the Ziggy Bank was butt ugly but your description captured it nicely. Well said. I might add one more:

image.jpg

The T-Wolves are suddenly being looked at by the national media as the up-and-coming team in the league with a great coach...

I'll agree with the rest of what you said, but the Wolves are considered the laughingstock of ALL PRO SPORTS in North America. They are by near all pundits the worst franchise since the 1960 growth spurt. There is no "sudden look", except by Sid and all other VERY delusional Wolves fans.

The Vikings are one snap away from disaster. If Teddy goes down, or AP tweaks an ankle or knee they are toast.

Even if Teddy goes down, AP tweaks an ankle, and the Vikes go 0-16 they will still be more popular than the Gophers. I think that was the point. Sad, but true.

Vikings do own the state and always will. When gopher hoops turn it around the like always is the second hottest ticket it in town. They will improve big time this year and when they land all those Minnesota kids, they will have Minnesota kids on roster and be good.

Gopher is solid and will have a nice year! They have food coaches and are putting players in the NFL one of the down falls is we have a college team in a pro city! Media and fans have a hard time telling the difference in play between the two. College kids play like college players they don't have 11 pros at each position.

And yes these arena stadiums other than the vikes will never be sold out on a regular bases u know why??? Well just of us middle to lower middle class can't afford tickets to these events anymore.

Look it target field Great place fans went for 3 years and so everyone has seen it once now and nobody can afford to keep going. I love gophers stadium but if u think I can bring my wife and two kids for about non conference it's about 35 for cheapest seat and about 45 to big ten it's not happening. I go to one or two games with my buddies but leave wife and kids home.

The vikes stadium is pretty awesome anyone who says otherwise is full of BS.. And when they get that 5 acer area done with the park out front that will be amazing. With a fantasy football area for the rubes unheard of.

Twolves who cares they have never won a thing.. And the stands back that up nobody goes to those games. They will win less than 50% percent this season as well.

Looking at it honestly, it's hard to argue with anything Reusse said.

Fatprick could have written a piece about the Wolves new hire and the excitement that is generating, the over analysis of the Vikings draft and the 12 month frenzy that creates...the trip to the playoffs last year and now moving into shiny new digs. Etc. etc. etc.

What is the point of comparing professional leagues with their collegiate counterpart? It is only there as click-bait for Fatprick. From the snippet I read above, because I will never give the strib a click again, I can't tell if there is a story, an opinion, or Fatprick is simply taking his weekly swing at The "U".

Is the intention of the article to provide anything else than a reason to take a **** on The "U"?

I've contributed to the problem by adding to this thread.

I don't find it hard to argue with what he wrote.

To me, it isn't as much of "is he wrong" as it is that he spits out the same message every 1 to 2 weeks. It gets tired & boring.

He does it because he knows that it will get a reaction......because people actually do care about the Gophers.

Exactly. Same message, just said in a different way. Lazy writing.

When the football and basketball teams win next year, as I expect they will, the fans will be back.

I see more people wearing Gophers clothing than Vikings around Minneapolis. His idea gophers arnt popular is BS. Stick to baseball pat that is all you know. I bet the Home opener vs Oregon state coming off a 5-7 season is sold out! pat I wanna see a article about how know body cares then. 0 super bowl wins Vikings yea that's a great franchise not!

Twolves who cares they have never won a thing.. And the stands back that up nobody goes to those games. They will win less than 50% percent this season as well.
You just described Gopher football for the last 50 years too.

I still like college hoops, while the pro-game is unwatchable to me. The BS and canned hoopla at Timberwolves games is so obnoxious I can't understand it.
Zimmer is a good coach, we'll see where the Vikes wind up. Plus we are in a division where the Lions and Vers are some of the most mismanaged franchise in thee NFL, so they have big advantages in making the playoffs versus other divisions.
As far as the Tajma Zygi, I have no interest in ever entering that building. He did not make a generous contribution, its his bleeping team. He should have paid the whole bill.
There is no doubt we have to do better in both sports this year. The good news is I think we can.

I still like college hoops, while the pro-game is unwatchable to me. The BS and canned hoopla at Timberwolves games is so obnoxious I can't understand people paying to go there.
We'll see where the Vikes wind up. Zimmer is a good coach and they will be competitive because he is terrific on D. Plus the Vikes are in a division where the Lions and Bears are some of the most mismanaged franchise in the NFL, so they have big advantages in making the playoffs versus being in other divisions.
Our stadium is fine, when Reusse show up more than 1 gam peer year, I'll worry about his stadium opinion. As far as the Tajma Zygi, I have no interest in ever entering that building. He did not make a generous contribution, its his bleeping team. He should have paid the whole bill.
There is no doubt we have to do better in both sports this year. The good news is I think we can.

Top Bottom