BBC to Jax

Congratulations to a fine player. It's been fun watching you in the Maroon and Gold!

Awesome for you BBC! Bring a chip on your shoulder and earn that contract

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dienhart just isn't very good at his job. Virtually everyone had him as being drafted. I think when Murray was drafted, Kiper said that he would be one of two Gopher d-backs taken that day.

I saw the link on ESPN for "best undrafted players" right after the draft and BBC's picture was the header on the article.

Dienhart just isn't very good at his job. Virtually everyone had him as being drafted. I think when Murray was drafted, Kiper said that he would be one of two Gopher d-backs taken that day.

Assuming Kiper's ratings are what ESPN.com was showing (?), he had BBC rated directly ahead of EM31. BBC was the "best CB available" on that list from the 4th round on.

Not up on my pro football. What is the practical difference between a late rounder and a free agent?

Does the last guy that gets drafted get guaranteed money? A contract? Undrafted free agents are day-to-day? Let's assume BBC is good enough to make a roster. Did he miss out on a ton of money? Some money?

I saw the link on ESPN for "best undrafted players" right after the draft and BBC's picture was the header on the article.

Similarly, scrolling on the bottom of the screen on ESPN shortly after the draft was about half a dozen "notable players undrafted". BBC was a part of that group.

Not up on my pro football. What is the practical difference between a late rounder and a free agent?

Does the last guy that gets drafted get guaranteed money? A contract? Undrafted free agents are day-to-day? Let's assume BBC is good enough to make a roster. Did he miss out on a ton of money? Some money?

This year the last pick Mr. Irrelevant will get around 60k or so in guaranteed money. An undrafted free agent will receive some amount out of the approximately 88K or so allotted per NFL team. Considering how many UDFAs are signed that can be as high as 20K for a highly sought after guy to 1-2K for camp bodies.

So, in short it's much better to be drafted. You might be cut during camp but at least 60k richer. Some may not be aware but camp pay for UDFAs is about $1000 per week for rookies (vets make about double). Not bad, not great. Rookies are paid their 450k salary over installments after each regular season game. Most salaries are not guaranteed. Only signing bonus money is guaranteed (early rounders may differ).

The one advantage an UDFA has is only a 3 yr contract, instead of 4 for a 7th rounder. So if BBC makes the roster and contributes he stands to cash in a year sooner than that 7th rounder, and considering how fast these guys get injured or passed up time is money.

Like somebody else said, it makes sense to take a 1k signing bonus and go to a team that you have a shot at making the roster, rather than take a 15k bonus and be buried behind veterans, sure to be cut during camp.

I'm optimistic BBC can make it if he is injury-free at this point. His Sr year really damaged his stock after a very promising Jr season. He just didn't take that next step I thought he could, most likely due to injury.

Top Bottom