Wisconsin OL Tyler Marz is undrafted

hungan1

Reaction score
At 6'7" 316 lbs., you'd think he'll go in the late rounds.

It is the same story as CBs, there is a glut of OL graded prospects in this draft.

There will be a few lucky teams in UDFA.

I could see Marz being a practice-squad type player with the right team. I've met the guy, and his HS coach is a friend of mine, so I'd like to see him at least get a chance in the pros.

Met his family at a local restaurant and. They were less than complimentary about our football program. The exact words from pops were "minnestoa does not prepare players for the next level".

As far as O-Linemen are concerned, I hope that will not necessarily be the case anymore with Jay Johnson and Bart Miller in house.

Wisconsin had its run with OLs getting drafted. Claeys hopefully will change the Gophers OL outlook.

Gopher's best hope starting with next season is with Jonah Pirsig.

The little I read on Badger sites said he's not athletic enough to play tackle in the NFL. He'll be a tall guard. Might not have a home in that league.

Met his family at a local restaurant and. They were less than complimentary about our football program. The exact words from pops were "minnestoa does not prepare players for the next level".

Given his likely extensive experience evaluating and scouting OL, I put a large stock in his opinion

He signed with the Tennessee Titans yesterday.

If he was talking specifically about OL, then he has a point. But this staff has done a good job lately overall.

If he was talking specifically about OL, then he has a point. But this staff has done a good job lately overall.
I agree with this if our focus on endurance rather than strength was only with the oline last offseason. If not then I think we misspent one offseason in S&C.

Perhaps they should be equally concerned about the career after football as well.

Have they though? Hageman is Ok, but he may get run out of Atlanta, Vereen got cut in year 2, Thompson didn't make the team, Cobb's days are numbered in TN.

Who has stuck? Wilson, Gray, Williams, and Hageman?

Have they though? Hageman is Ok, but he may get run out of Atlanta, Vereen got cut in year 2, Thompson didn't make the team, Cobb's days are numbered in TN.

Minnesota having fewer players in the NFL than other B1G schools is more a function of talent than it is preparation.

Minnesota having fewer players in the NFL than other B1G schools is more a function of talent than it is preparation.

Agreed. If anything people should be impressed we have guys getting drafted at all. That's a testament to the staff and their ability to develop talent.

The average NFL career is 3 1/2 years. Once a kid is drafted, college coaches did their job, it's on the pro and his professional staff from there. As for Martz he would've been recruited in either year one of Kill or the end of the Brewster era, can't really blame his family for having that perception at the time. Having eight guys drafted in the last three years is a good step in the right direction.

still Limey didnt do a great job in coaching up his OL i for one think it had something to do with wearing two hats as the OC as well but even still he wore the hat he did not do his job with the OL

I will be curious to see how Pirsig does this season with Miller preparing him.

Top Bottom