Band concert booted

In some ways you are correct. It is not football vs band. It is not a money-grubbing machine vs a smaller, mistreated group.

But it IS a story because there was a longstanding booking conflict that has, at least right now, been resolved by eschewing 6 figures for a day/weekend of use. They are a huge entity that apparently does not need to care about maximizing revenue. Hard to argue against that turning people off.

If the Strib was not in some way able to connected Gopher football with this story, it would either not have been reported or buried deep in the Strib. And referenced simply as a "scheduling error".

As noted earlier, this is not a concert...it's a competition willing to pay $100K to use a facility for very few hours.

As far as concerts, I'm guessing you haven't gone to the UMMB indoor concert. It is light's out good.

You are correct I have never been to one. It is just a little too far down my bucket list. I learned in this thread that means I just don't understand. Oh well.

So Claeys decides he wants a camp at the same time a drum corp already has it booked. Read between the lines. A U program takes precedent. scheduling is a scapegoat Move on...

You are correct I have never been to one. It is just a little too far down my bucket list. I learned in this thread that means I just don't understand. Oh well.

Nowhere close to being anywhere on my bucket list and I have been to probably a half dozen. Just something that is very enjoyable and another way to support the U. Everyone I have taken comes away with a great experience.

For everyone that is getting worked-up and making this a Gopher Football vs. Drum and Bugel Corps issue, congratulations on being duped by the Strib Koolade. Do you really think that this is a confrontation between a wicked, money-grubbing football machine and a poor, humble group of kids that just want to play their drums and toot their horns? That's what the Strib wants it to be. That might get people angry, venomous and make it go viral. It's simply a scheduling error at a University facility. Plain and simple. There is no demon here. Maybe significant incompetence. But no demon. Unless you're an athletics hating "journalist" at the Strib manufacturing a complete non-story.

The scheduling error which is costing us six figures of easy revenue is the demon here.

From the DL thread - I'm assuming this is the snafu:

7) Dave Mona brought up the topic and problem of double booking at TCF Bank Stadium:

He acknowledged the university had a made the mistake in the double booking. But he didn’t elaborate specifically about the miscue. He did say the snafu occurs on a big day of recruiting – having players on campus when they have their annual bar-b-cue gathering.

For the next several years, this so-called "scheduling error" will be brought up at the Minnesota legislature every time there is hearing or press conference about state taxpayer funding for the U. The chart below details exactly how much money is at stake every time Kaler goes over to the state capitol to beg for more money.

Recently, one Republican legislator vowed to reduce the U's appropriation by the exact amount of the spending that was itemized in a Star Tribune article on the investigation into excessive spending by Norwood Teague and the Athletics Department.

UMN-graphic-state-appropriations-trend-630x448.jpg

This article appeared in the Strib in December:

University of Minnesota spending is arrogant, out of control

As a university alumnus, former adjunct instructor and a frequent (albeit modest) contributor, I have great affection for the U. It prepared me for a rewarding career and connected me with several professors who became lifelong mentors and friends. But it is an institution that seems increasingly arrogant, out of control and insensitive to the needs of students.

The latest evidence comes in published reports of the lavish, almost laughable expenses of administrators and coaches in the athletic department that were reimbursed by the university. How could any public institution justify spending:

• Nearly $30,000 in a three-year period for Athletic Director Norwood Teague to wine and dine donors, staff and others. And I mean “wine” — to the tune of almost $11,000.

• $24,444 in lodging and registration fees for women’s basketball coach Marlene Stollings and her staff to attend a coaches’ convention in Tampa, Fla.

• Nearly $2,000 to reimburse Stollings for makeup, an outfit and shoes from Nordstrom.

• $2,298.85 to transport the dog of men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino by car from Miami to the Twin Cities.

Like most Minnesotans, I want to see my tax dollars and personal contributions go to the university’s core mission — providing quality education at an affordable price. If you will pardon the expression, I don’t want to see public money disappearing down a Gopher hole.

Steven Dornfeld is a retired journalist and former public affairs director for the Metropolitan Council.

http://www.startribune.com/university-of-minnesota-spending-is-arrogant-out-of-control/360510011/

• Nearly $30,000 in a three-year period for Athletic Director Norwood Teague to wine and dine donors, staff and others. And I mean “wine” — to the tune of almost $11,000.

Please...not this load of **** again.

I spent nearly $4,000 to "wine and dine" myself in 2015 that I expensed to my company while traveling for work, and I never take the client out. I see enough of them during my work day. "Nearly $30,000" over a 3 year period do "wine and dine" donors when The "U" was doing a massive capital campaign is a friggin' bargain.

Please...not this load of **** again. I spent nearly $4,000 to "wine and dine" myself in 2015 that I expensed to my company while traveling for work, and I never take the client out. I see enough of them during my work day. "Nearly $30,000" over a 3 year period do "wine and dine" donors when The "U" was doing a massive capital campaign is a friggin' bargain.

Discerning GopherHole readers will notice that you picked just one of the expense items to try to debunk the entire issue of excessive spending at the U. You failed miserably. Ask a Minnesota taxpayer who couldn't care less about the Gopher football team what he thinks about the spending detailed in the article. Private businesses can get away with that kind of spending. Minnesota's largest taxpayer funded institution appears to be financially out of control by comparison.

This kind of spending and arrogance will have consequences whether it is reasonable or not, and whether Gopher sports diehards like it or not. There are members of the Minnesota legislature who absolutely despise the U and who will use this kind of thing to reduce the U's state funding and increase their control over how it operates.

Ask a Minnesota taxpayer who couldn't care less about the Gopher football team what he thinks about the spending detailed in the article. Private businesses can get away with <b>that kind of spending. </b> Minnesota's largest taxpayer funded institution appears to be financially out of control by comparison. <b>This kind of spending and arrogance </b>will have consequences whether it is reasonable or not, and whether Gopher sports diehards like it or not.

You are referring to the $30K over 3 years figure, right?

You are referring to the $30K over 3 years figure, right?

It is clearly irresponsible and arrogant to waste 0.01% of the state appropriations on this kind of nonsense. And with an annual budge (2016) of $3.7BB that amount of waste equals 0.0016%.

Arrogant AF!

It is clearly irresponsible and arrogant to waste 0.01% of the state appropriations on this kind of nonsense. And with an annual budge (2016) of $3.7BB that amount of waste equals 0.0016%.

Arrogant AF!

If one was to spend $50 on a meal twice a week they would hit half the $ in 3-years. The arrogance.

your comment shows your ignorance

I guess boring pays well.

You have no idea what you speak of so you need to put your boring comment in a your hooka pipe and smoke it. Boring would be coach Claeys saying who cares about a World class event because it is a bunch of band nerds, that brings a few thousand tourist to town, allows the U to park 3 to 4,000 cars, 10,000 people buying concessions, and $96,000 in stadium rent up front.
This event brings thousands of college age students to town to perform in front of 10,000 to 15,000 people, and a lot of those students are high level students that could go to any school but they get to see the U has world class facilities and this event is just as much a recruiting event for tuition paying students and the U band as it is just some band concert.

This is not a new event, and is the highest level of competitive art form for the marching Arts. This is coach Claey's swinging his weight around because he can, and saying who cares about some stupid band concert.

A bunch of you people do not realize how many tuition paying students have gone through the band and how many of them are Alumni of the Minnesota Marching band or DCI itself and a lot of U alumni care about this because it is a regional that could easily be booked elsewhere and lost for Minnesota because of U athletics telling them to stick it. Heck even the organizer of the event is a U of M band Alumni who has donated money and tried to steer other events to the U, and you all mock this without knowing a thing about it. Coach Claeys is in the wrong, it is his private event, not a U sponsored event and he booked well after the DCI event was booked.

You have no idea what you speak of so you need to put your boring comment in a your hooka pipe and smoke it. Boring would be coach Claeys saying who cares about a World class event because it is a bunch of band nerds, that brings a few thousand tourist to town, allows the U to park 3 to 4,000 cars, 10,000 people buying concessions, and $96,000 in stadium rent up front.
This event brings thousands of college age students to town to perform in front of 10,000 to 15,000 people, and a lot of those students are high level students that could go to any school but they get to see the U has world class facilities and this event is just as much a recruiting event for tuition paying students and the U band as it is just some band concert.

This is not a new event, and is the highest level of competitive art form for the marching Arts. This is coach Claey's swinging his weight around because he can, and saying who cares about some stupid band concert.

A bunch of you people do not realize how many tuition paying students have gone through the band and how many of them are Alumni of the Minnesota Marching band or DCI itself and a lot of U alumni care about this because it is a regional that could easily be booked elsewhere and lost for Minnesota because of U athletics telling them to stick it. Heck even the organizer of the event is a U of M band Alumni who has donated money and tried to steer other events to the U, and you all mock this without knowing a thing about it. Coach Claeys is in the wrong, it is his private event, not a U sponsored event and he booked well after the DCI event was booked.

Even if everything you say is true it only supports that it is a legitimate event. It does nothing to dispute the post you quoted that it is boring. There is an outside chance some might find it boring, no? Or is this the "we don't understand" response again.

This is one of those stories where the silliness of the actual event is all but certain to receive an even more absurd response.

This is one of those stories where the silliness of the actual event is all but certain to receive an even more absurd response.

It is one of those stories that does not happen with a functional athletic department and administration. I am leaning towards a whole new regime from the AD to the president.

Okay, the terminology is confusing to me. Can someone explain this process to me more?

This is listed as a "private camp" that Claeys is putting on. At the expense of $600. Okay.

Claeys goes on to say that it is a big weekend with recruiting and a scheduled BBQ that they have. So he needs the stadium to coincide with these events.

So is he putting the recruits through his private camp? Or is the whole point of this to have a separate TC private camp going on, so that the weekend recruits can drop in and hang out at it, to see how he runs things?

If this is a private camp, then I assume that TC sees all the money from it? And he is charging each camper?

If this is a private camp, then there shouldn't be an argument of "this is a Gopher athletics facility so they take precedence".

That it coincides with, and is so dependent on all of the official University activities, makes it sound like calling it "private" needs to be accompanied by a *wink wink*.

It is one of those stories that does not happen with a functional athletic department and administration. I am leaning towards a whole new regime from the AD to the president.

June 13, 2015
Chhoeun Prem and Craig Callahan had their wedding venue reserved well in advance. Everything was all set.

They would be exchanging vows inside Ohio Stadium on May 30th, 2015. Everything was planned; the Save the Date cards went out in November and the only thing they were worried about - as is the case with all weddings - was the weather.

It turns out they weren't the only ones Ohio Stadium booked for that day; an obscure British music group called the Rolling Stones also had plans for the Horseshoe that evening, and since it takes in advance of a day to set up a show of that size someone was going to have to change their plans or compromise: the bride and groom...or the biggest rock band of all time.

June 13, 2015
Chhoeun Prem and Craig Callahan had their wedding venue reserved well in advance. Everything was all set.

They would be exchanging vows inside Ohio Stadium on May 30th, 2015. Everything was planned; the Save the Date cards went out in November and the only thing they were worried about - as is the case with all weddings - was the weather.

It turns out they weren't the only ones Ohio Stadium booked for that day; an obscure British music group called the Rolling Stones also had plans for the Horseshoe that evening, and since it takes in advance of a day to set up a show of that size someone was going to have to change their plans or compromise: the bride and groom...or the biggest rock band of all time.

Heck of a DJ choice!

Thanks for making my point.

I know none of these events are as HUGE as a CC Camp or a band concert...but:

The unforeseen scheduling conflict that has apparently pushed Texas UIL state championship games away from Arlington’s AT&T Stadium is down to a “miscommunication,” according to UIL Executive Director Charles Breithaupt. Now, the Cowboys are reportedly investigating ways to work the full UIL schedule in, so the state association would be able to return to AT&T rather than move the games to either Houston or San Antonio.

On August 15, 2008, World Wrestling Entertainment booked an internationally televised event, WWE Raw, to take place at Pepsi Center on Monday, May 25, 2009. However, Denver Nuggets and Pepsi Center owner Stan Kroenke arranged a verbal agreement to book Game 4 of the NBA Western Conference Finals between the Nuggets and the Los Angeles Lakers on the same date prior to the Nuggets actually earning a slot in the playoffs. Though a contract existed to hold the venue for the WWE event and only a verbal agreement granted the Nuggets the venue, Kroenke stood firm that the Nuggets game would take precedence.

Nothing gets hockey fans fired up more than the soulful voice of Yanni. Except maybe in Pittsburgh and Washington, where the Penguins and Caps are forced to play their recent playoff series on back-to-back nights, in two cities, to accommodate the Greek new-ager's previously booked concert at Mellon Arena. The Pens survive Yanni and Alexander Ovechkin to advance to the Eastern Conference finals in seven games.

The Hornets battle the Mavericks in the first round of the 2008 NBA playoffs only to run into an unexpected obstacle - Canadian rockers, Rush. The band's booked to perform at New Orleans Arena on April 19. The Hornets win the battle - Rush has to reschedule - and New Orleans beat the Mavs, 104-92, en route to a 4-1 series victory.

She might not have a wicked slap shot, but Dora the Explorer certainly causes headaches for the Oilers during the 2006 Stanley Cup Finals. Dora's Pirate Adventure is booked at Rexall Place for the same night as Game 6. The Oilers win the scheduling scrape - Dora and her gang move to another location - but they lose the Cup in seven games to the Carolina Hurricanes.

Our friends across the pond aren't immune from scheduling woes. London's famous Wembley Stadium is double-booked for May 28, 2011, as the Champions League final is scheduled for the same day as the Football League's playoff weekend. The footballers have plenty of time to settle the dispute, but the Football League appears to have the upper hand (or would it be foot?) with a 100-match contract with Wembley.

It takes the Rangers 54 years to break their Stanley Cup curse. It doesn't help that Madison Square Garden thinks the circus is a better draw than the Broadway Blueshirts in 1950. The Rangers have to move north of the border to play "home" Stanley Cup Finals games in Toronto while elephants and clowns wow audiences in the World's Most Famous Arena. The homeless Rangers lose in seven games to the Red Wings.

In the ultimate heavyweight mismatch, folk-rocker James Taylor goes toe-to-toe with the greatest boxer on the planet in 1971 at Madison Square Garden. This classic double-booking has Taylor scheduled to perform on the same night as Ali's bout against Joe Frazier. This story has a happy ending as Taylor - a big boxing fan - is thrilled to switch his concert date in exchange for tickets to the fight. With Taylor in attendance, Frazier wins the heavyweight title with a 15-round victory over Ali.

Levi’s Stadium officials were horrified to discover a massive oversight in their Sunday calendar: Super Bowl 50 had been double booked with an annual Facebook company party.
“Well, I won’t lie to you. We are in quite a pickle here,” said a stadium official, wishing remain anonymous due to the complete boneheadery of the situation. “Normally, I’d say we obviously have to bump the party but… Come on, this is Facebook we’re talking about.”

For the next several years, this so-called "scheduling error" will be brought up at the Minnesota legislature every time there is hearing or press conference about state taxpayer funding for the U. The chart below details exactly how much money is at stake every time Kaler goes over to the state capitol to beg for more money.

Recently, one Republican legislator vowed to reduce the U's appropriation by the exact amount of the spending that was itemized in a Star Tribune article on the investigation into excessive spending by Norwood Teague and the Athletics Department.

UMN-graphic-state-appropriations-trend-630x448.jpg

This article appeared in the Strib in December:

University of Minnesota spending is arrogant, out of control

As a university alumnus, former adjunct instructor and a frequent (albeit modest) contributor, I have great affection for the U. It prepared me for a rewarding career and connected me with several professors who became lifelong mentors and friends. But it is an institution that seems increasingly arrogant, out of control and insensitive to the needs of students.

The latest evidence comes in published reports of the lavish, almost laughable expenses of administrators and coaches in the athletic department that were reimbursed by the university. How could any public institution justify spending:

• $24,444 in lodging and registration fees for women’s basketball coach Marlene Stollings and her staff to attend a coaches’ convention in Tampa, Fla.

• Nearly $2,000 to reimburse Stollings for makeup, an outfit and shoes from Nordstrom.

• $2,298.85 to transport the dog of men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino by car from Miami to the Twin Cities.

Like most Minnesotans, I want to see my tax dollars and personal contributions go to the university’s core mission — providing quality education at an affordable price. If you will pardon the expression, I don’t want to see public money disappearing down a Gopher hole.

Steven Dornfeld is a retired journalist and former public affairs director for the Metropolitan Council.

http://www.startribune.com/university-of-minnesota-spending-is-arrogant-out-of-control/360510011/

Clearly the athletic department and the University as a whole must have policies in place to ensure wasteful spending by their employees does not happen. If not, that's mismanagement or incompetence. But to suggest this issue within the athletic department, or the "scheduling error", are somehow responsible for spending bloat or budget shortfalls seems a very simplistic argument that lacks the scale to have any real impact.

Discerning GopherHole readers will notice that you picked just one of the expense items to try to debunk the entire issue of excessive spending at the U. You failed miserably. Ask a Minnesota taxpayer who couldn't care less about the Gopher football team what he thinks about the spending detailed in the article. Private businesses can get away with that kind of spending. Minnesota's largest taxpayer funded institution appears to be financially out of control by comparison.

This kind of spending and arrogance will have consequences whether it is reasonable or not, and whether Gopher sports diehards like it or not. There are members of the Minnesota legislature who absolutely despise the U and who will use this kind of thing to reduce the U's state funding and increase their control over how it operates.

Legislature criticizing anyone about wasting taxpayer money is the definition of hypocrisy.

The article you posted also nitpicked a few expenses. If you tried hard enough, anyone could find "wasted money" in virtually every large company/organization. I'm not saying it should just be accepted, but it also doesn't mean there is some huge problem either.

Legislature criticizing anyone about wasting taxpayer money is the definition of hypocrisy.

The article you posted also nitpicked a few expenses. If you tried hard enough, anyone could find "wasted money" in virtually every large company/organization. I'm not saying it should just be accepted, but it also doesn't mean there is some huge problem either.

In my experience, government travel records are easily in the top of reports that can be massaged to look bad.

Or money spend on scientific studies. I can't image the FRAUD WASTE AND ABUSE(/s) if someone read through the studies going on at the U and picked out the things they thought were worthless or over the top.

Whether this was a scheduling mixup, or Claeys asserting after the fact that he wanted the BBQ that day and asking the administration to get the band competition moved, it's absurd this is a "story."

If we were kicking the U of M track team out for a private football camp, I'd question it. Making the decision that the Claeys football camp/BBQ weekend recruiting days in some way contributes towards a 50 million dollar a year football program and will benefit the university more than a Drum Corp competition isn't worth getting upset about. It's worth having a discussion about the lost revenue, lost potential future revenue but I can see why the university would default lean towards the sport that butters the bread for the athletic department and the perception of the athletic department is relevant to most people's perception of the University as a whole.

If your coach Claeys, you are in a spot right now. Recruits come in this summer, you want to tour them around the football training complex, but it's under construction, oh and by the way we can't access the playing field either because they rented it out to a non university activity. I'd push back too.

In my experience, government travel records are easily in the top of reports that can be massaged to look bad.

Or money spend on scientific studies. I can't image the FRAUD WASTE AND ABUSE(/s) if someone read through the studies going on at the U and picked out the things they thought were worthless or over the top.

Serious accusations. Id like specific examples of fraud waste and abuse. Disagreeing with scope of research doesnt equate

Top Bottom