Band concert booted

Reaction score
The local rag is reporting that the "U" double booked TCF bank stadium and coach Claey's camp is getting priority thus giving up thousands in revenue. The majority of comments and sentiment is to take the money and boot the camp. More confusion by people who think athletics are funded by tax dollars. In the end, the stadium was built for Gopher football first. We all know the importance camps have to the program and the NCAA requires camps to be private enterprise. The real issue is who is the bone head who cannot use a calendar?

The bonehead should be identified, and fired.

"Thousands in revenue" would lead to "thousands in losses," in this case. I am sure that it costs more to put on the concert at the Bank than it generates. This is a non-story that is pandering and based on a ridiculous premise.

Someone in the Athletic Dept should lose their job over this or at least face some sort of suspension, demotion, etc.

"Thousands in revenue" would lead to "thousands in losses," in this case. I am sure that it costs more to put on the concert at the Bank than it generates. This is a non-story that is pandering and based on a ridiculous premise.

None of this makes any sense whatsoever. A company pays the U at least 42 grand JUST in rent and ticketing fees. That is pure profit. It costs the U NOTHING at that point. They are walking away from that for only $600 in rent from the football team.

If this was anything but the beloved football team everyone would be crying foul in all caps about how they need to operate as a business just like the rest of society.

I agree that someone's head needs to roll over this.

If this was anything but the beloved football team everyone would be crying foul in all caps about how they need to operate as a business just like the rest of society.

The Gopher football program is beloved. Thank you. Needed a pick me up.

Ummm, no, it would have been $100K straight to the bottom line. Happened a couple years ago as well. Total revenue loss around $225K. Thanks for the comment though...

Let's make it clear that this isn't an official Minnesota Gophers football camp. This is being operated under the "Coach Claeys Football Camps" banner and is a private event, not one officially tied to the university. What is being disputed is the dubious nature of the "double booking".

If we are to believe the U's story, they book an ENTIRE FOOTBALL COMPLEX so flippantly that they can't remember which events are booked on what day. The DCI Minnesota has been coming annually to TCF Stadium since 2010 so this isn't a brand new reservation:

2010 - Saturday, July 17th
2011 - Saturday - July 16th
2012 - Saturday - July 14th
2013 - Saturday - July 13th
2014 - Moved from TCF due to aforementioned "Norwood Teague wants box seats for him and his friends" fiasco (discussed in the article)
2015 - Saturday, July 11th

So you see the pattern here. That this is being treated as any sort of surprise by the U of M is a load of BS. This event happens right around the same Saturday every single year.

What's going on here is a continuation of the suspect-at-best decision making going on in the athletics department. The Tracy Claeys event lasts FOUR HOURS in duration so effectively the U is declining a $96k/4 = $24,000/hour gig in favor of one where the morbidly obese football coach yells at young men about "discipline" (not caloric discipline, mind you), "hard work" (just not hard work in the gym, or in the produce section of the grocery store) and "dedication" (to never stop striving for a world record waistband number on your pants).

I've supported U of M athletics like everyone else but this is frankly a load of bull**** and I'm looking forward to DCI taking their contract money to Camp Randall just to continue the esteemed reputation and decision making of this university's administration and athletics department.

Let's make it clear that this isn't an official Minnesota Gophers football camp. This is being operated under the "Coach Claeys Football Camps" banner and is a private event, not one officially tied to the university. What is being disputed is the dubious nature of the "double booking".

If we are to believe the U's story, they book an ENTIRE FOOTBALL COMPLEX so flippantly that they can't remember which events are booked on what day. The DCI Minnesota has been coming annually to TCF Stadium since 2010 so this isn't a brand new reservation:

2010 - Saturday, July 17th
2011 - Saturday - July 16th
2012 - Saturday - July 14th
2013 - Saturday - July 13th
2014 - Moved from TCF due to aforementioned "Norwood Teague wants box seats for him and his friends" fiasco (discussed in the article)
2015 - Saturday, July 11th

So you see the pattern here. That this is being treated as any sort of surprise by the U of M is a load of BS. This event happens right around the same Saturday every single year.

What's going on here is a continuation of the suspect-at-best decision making going on in the athletics department. The Tracy Claeys event lasts FOUR HOURS in duration so effectively the U is declining a $96k/4 = $24,000/hour gig in favor of one where the morbidly obese football coach yells at young men about "discipline" (not caloric discipline, mind you), "hard work" (just not hard work in the gym, or in the produce section of the grocery store) and "dedication" (to never stop striving for a world record waistband number on your pants).

I've supported U of M athletics like everyone else but this is frankly a load of bull**** and I'm looking forward to DCI taking their contract money to Camp Randall just to continue the esteemed reputation and decision making of this university's administration and athletics department.
The personal shots at Claeys don't help your argument here.

Let's make it clear that this isn't an official Minnesota Gophers football camp.

Quick look at your posts makes that line not much of a surprise..

This topic belongs on the band message board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scheduling Communications - You can put that on the list of things for the new AD in tandem with Gopher administrative staff to fix.

Must be the same guy who negotiated the initial beer contract; the one that lost money selling $8 beers.

How on Earth does this happen? Why do we employ so much incompetence? Most offices I worked in have relied on a relatively junior employee to keep track of who has booed a conference room and make sure that when someone else wants to book it, they know when it is and is not available. The fact that our entire athletic department does not contain that much expertise to use for its most important facility is shocking.

I tend to agree with the pro band people on this one. The band concert has been an annual booking and most likely was booked before TC was even the coach. I am betting that someone made the decision to bump the bank for TC's gig. Not a good idea, TC should have better planning, maybe it is the only time that he can fit it into the recruiting schedule....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The personal shots at Claeys don't help your argument here.

Wrong sir. This is the official camp. NCAA prohibits university sponsered camps. Let the band go to wisky or anywhere else. Camps are worth more.

Wrong sir. This is the official camp. NCAA prohibits university sponsered camps. Let the band go to wisky or anywhere else. Camps are worth more.
I never said they should or shouldn't host the camp or the DCI event. Just thought the poster was hurting his argument by attacking Claeys...

Ummm, no, it would have been $100K straight to the bottom line. Happened a couple years ago as well. Total revenue loss around $225K. Thanks for the comment though...

I guess boring pays well.

How on Earth does this happen? Why do we employ so much incompetence? Most offices I worked in have relied on a relatively junior employee to keep track of who has booed a conference room and make sure that when someone else wants to book it, they know when it is and is not available. The fact that our entire athletic department does not contain that much expertise to use for its most important facility is shocking.

If a skunk can do it, what does that say for us?!?

image.jpg

Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it boring. American football is considered boring to the majority of the world.

Although this is true, it is hard to debate a band concert is boring.

just to be clear - DCI is not a "band" concert - it's a Drum and Bugle Corps competition. My brother is into this stuff, and he has been to previous DCI shows at TCF. If it's not your thing, that's fine - but a lot of people enjoy Drum Corps competitions. The top corps have national followings.

There is enough room in the world to appreciate college FB and music competitions.

PS - on Sid's show today (sunday) Claeys said he's trying to work out a compromise. He did say that the weekend in question is a big recruiting weekend for the Gophers, with their annual BBQ, and that's why they want to hold the camp at TCF.

Although this is true, it is hard to debate a band concert is boring.

As noted earlier, this is not a concert...it's a competition willing to pay $100K to use a facility for very few hours.

As far as concerts, I'm guessing you haven't gone to the UMMB indoor concert. It is light's out good.

The buck stops at Goetz. One would think she would have an events calendar within hands reach in her office because of her own appearances. This is unexcusible.

The buck stops at Goetz. One would think she would have an events calendar within hands reach in her office because of her own appearances. This is unexcusible.

Jeez Rupert, why the hell stop with Goetz? Shouldn't Kaler also be checking to make sure there are no double bookings? I'd hope like hell the top administrators earning 6 figure salaries aren't spending their time doing sh*t like this.

For everyone that is getting worked-up and making this a Gopher Football vs. Drum and Bugel Corps issue, congratulations on being duped by the Strib Koolade. Do you really think that this is a confrontation between a wicked, money-grubbing football machine and a poor, humble group of kids that just want to play their drums and toot their horns? That's what the Strib wants it to be. That might get people angry, venomous and make it go viral. It's simply a scheduling error at a University facility. Plain and simple. There is no demon here. Maybe significant incompetence. But no demon. Unless you're an athletics hating "journalist" at the Strib manufacturing a complete non-story.

For everyone that is getting worked-up and making this a Gopher Football vs. Drum and Bugel Corps issue, congratulations on being duped by the Strib Koolade. Do you really think that this is a confrontation between a wicked, money-grubbing football machine and a poor, humble group of kids that just want to play their drums and toot their horns? That's what the Strib wants it to be. That might get people angry, venomous and make it go viral. It's simply a scheduling error at a University facility. Plain and simple. There is no demon here. Maybe significant incompetence. But no demon. Unless you're an athletics hating "journalist" at the Strib manufacturing a complete non-story.

In some ways you are correct. It is not football vs band. It is not a money-grubbing machine vs a smaller, mistreated group.

But it IS a story because there was a longstanding booking conflict that has, at least right now, been resolved by eschewing 6 figures for a day/weekend of use. They are a huge entity that apparently does not need to care about maximizing revenue. Hard to argue against that turning people off.

Top Bottom