David Cobb getting buried in Tennessee Titans RB Depth Chart

bamor5229

Reaction score
First they acquired DeMarco Murray. Now they just drafted Derrick Henry from Alabama in the 2nd Round. As much as I loved David Cobb's efforts here in Minnesota, I don't think he is going to get a legitimate shot at starting there in Nashville. Really hope I am wrong.

Just saw that...only hope is that Alabama RBs are like Sconnie's, NFL busts...
but Cobb might get cut, should land some where and do well.

Just saw that...only hope is that Alabama RBs are like Sconnie's, NFL busts...
but Cobb might get cut, should land some where and do well.
Gordon started his career okay.

Don't think the Titans were real excited about his work ethic. DC needs to step it up or it will be a short career.

Don't think the Titans were real excited about his work ethic. DC needs to step it up or it will be a short career.

I recall Sylvester Crooms his position coach saying some very unflattering things about Cobb. Agreed about him needing to step up, but I am wondering if he will ever get the chance.

Derrick Henry will be a bust. Only successful long strider RB I can think of is Eric Dickerson and he had world class speed. Henry has little to no quickness, acceleration or change of direction. And on top of all that he runs high.....he better invest in rib pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derrick Henry will be a bust. Only successful long strider RB I can think of is Eric Dickerson and he had world class speed. Henry has little to no quickness, acceleration or change of direction. And on top of all that he runs high.....he better invest in rib pads.

He will run most defenders over once up to speed since he is huge so not sure he will need rib pads but imo his buggest issue is that he is slow to get up to speed and get to the hole.

Demarco has a history of hamstrings and one Chip Kelly, so he's no sure thing. Mularkey seems to favor north south runners so Cobb has that going for him, if he can get healthy and motivated.

Henry is a physical freak, but the asterisk will always be he played behind an Alabama line. It will be interesting to watch if he can make things go behind what has been a terrible line.

Wouldn't Robert Smith be in this category also? From the folks I've talked to, (Bama Fans) they think he'll be a bust. I tend to agree, I don't think he'll be able run people over in the NFL like he did in College. Plus he won't have the dominant O Line he had at Bama anywhere in the NFL pretty much.

I did a search of Crooms comments on Cobb and it does not bode well for Cobb. It sounds like Cobb has had difficulty transitioning to the pro level by showing up late to practice and not hustling. I hope he catches on somewhere. I always liked watching him run.

Cobb was a great college running back, but I don't see him as being good enough to be a featured back at the next level and he never did enough of the little things to be a change-of-pace/3rd down back. That said, there are worse guys who are contributing in the NFL. He may just have to find the right place and understand what needs to be done to be successful at the professional level.

As for Henry, Eddie Lacy has done alright in Green Bay.

Wouldn't Robert Smith be in this category also? From the folks I've talked to, (Bama Fans) they think he'll be a bust. I tend to agree, I don't think he'll be able run people over in the NFL like he did in College. Plus he won't have the dominant O Line he had at Bama anywhere in the NFL pretty much.

Robert Smith had world class speed, remember he was Big Ten champ in the 100m hurdles; he was a long strider though. Another difference is Smith was a factor in the passing games....particularly screens. Henry has caught few passes in college.

Robert Smith had world class speed, remember he was Big Ten champ in the 100m hurdles; he was a long strider though. Another difference is Smith was a factor in the passing games....particularly screens. Henry has caught few passes in college.

Yes I should have clarified: I was saying Smith was a long strider, not that he was a bust.

First they acquired DeMarco Murray. Now they just drafted Derrick Henry from Alabama in the 2nd Round. As much as I loved David Cobb's efforts here in Minnesota, I don't think he is going to get a legitimate shot at starting there in Nashville. Really hope I am wrong.

Cobb didn't exactly show the Titans anything last year that would earn him legitimate shot at starting for them.

Cobb was a great college running back, but I don't see him as being good enough to be a featured back at the next level and he never did enough of the little things to be a change-of-pace/3rd down back.
This. The first sign that Cobb wasn't going to be a impactful NFL back wasn't when the Titans signed Murray and drafted Henry; it was when he fell to the 138th pick in the draft last year.

Not surprisingly, we tend to overrate the NFL potential of the players we like, but 60-70% of all 5th round picks make no meaningful impact in the NFL. Cedric Thompson got drafted in the 5th round and didn't even make the opening day roster in Miami.

But I wish him the best and hope he gets at least a few more years in the NFL somewhere. Great kid.

Cobb was a great college running back, but I don't see him as being good enough to be a featured back at the next level and he never did enough of the little things to be a change-of-pace/3rd down back. That said, there are worse guys who are contributing in the NFL. He may just have to find the right place and understand what needs to be done to be successful at the professional level.

As for Henry, Eddie Lacy has done alright in Green Bay.

Lacy had a disappointing 2015 season and head coach said as much publicly. He since has dropped close to 30 pounds. We'll have to see if he bounces back. Counterpoints would be Ron Dayne & Trent Richardson.

Top Bottom