Whoa: Tom Sakal disgusted by issues at U, "no way in hell" he'll leave athletics $

The exact recollection I was referring to.

I'm not sure on the Metrodome fiasco, but I seem to recall that some M Club guys were pushing that as well. I'm foggier (and not Rickey) on that one.

I'm foggy also but pretty sure it was a combination of M Club and downtown guys led by Harvey McKay. And, as I like to remind folks, the AD was that perfect guy. One of us from Winona (I think) and an All-American in football! My God, you couldn't read a Sid column without being told moving to the Metrodome would bring Gopher football back to glory.

Well aware the U is capable of screwing this up, but going public and thrashing the place only increases the chances of that.

Face the facts; there is unrest with regards to the Gopher Athletic Dept.

Can't hide from, or dismiss, 'serious unrest."

I get a whiff of self-interest here. The U's Athletic Dep't and administration is being criticized, and certain people are lining up to grab the microphone and proclaim their displeasure very publicly.

If Sakal is upset with the U and no longer plans to donate, that is his right. But, he made a choice to go public with his "disgust." I get the sense that people are jockeying to be on what they perceive as the right side - or the popular side - of the argument.

But - to another point - the post about the Pope gave me a great idea. How about a puff of white smoke to indicate when a new AD is hired!

Well, he is right. Does the softball team get a seat on the search committee for the new Head of the Carlson School?
Does the swimming and gymnastics teams get seats on the search committee for the new head of the Psychology Dept?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Tom Sakal is entitled to his opinion of the AD search process and to support the Athletic Department financially as he chooses. But what’s the value of his public diatribe? Is it going to change the process? Is it going to encourage qualified candidates to accept the position? As far as I can tell, the list of people under consideration per the Star Tribune includes some seemingly well qualified candidates. I found the statement of desired qualifications that will guide the selection process to be very good. I have some doubts that there is anyone alive who would fully meet all of those qualifications, but I’m confident if the advisory commitment seeks to apply those qualifications in good faith, our chances of making a good hire would be very good notwithstanding the size and composition of the committee. And they will, after all, have headhunter evaluations to consider. Rather than undercutting the chosen process, and discouraging qualified candidates, I would encourage critics, such as Sakal, to communicate their concerns privately to Kaler and committee members. I’m sure that the committee’s recommendation will be made public before Kaler makes a final decision, and there will be time enough to express concerns at that time. But projecting an image of incompetence and lack of fan support for Gopher Athletics is the last thing we need.
He is probably doing this to bring to light inadequacies that have lingered for decades within the Athletic Dept.

Anyone who would leave a six-figure donation to the athletics department of one of the largest universities in America needs to take another look at their priorities in life. There are countless worthy charities in the U.S. and around the world that can put that money to much better use.

I'm guessing this wins dumbest post of the weekend and there won't be a close second.

LesBolstad for +1,000,000

I get a whiff of self-interest here. The U's Athletic Dep't and administration is being criticized, and certain people are lining up to grab the microphone and proclaim their displeasure very publicly.

If Sakal is upset with the U and no longer plans to donate, that is his right. But, he made a choice to go public with his "disgust." I get the sense that people are jockeying to be on what they perceive as the right side - or the popular side - of the argument.

But - to another point - the post about the Pope gave me a great idea. How about a puff of white smoke to indicate when a new AD is hired!

I don't see any benefit with going public with his displeasure, to go to the media with his complaint's is detrimental to everybody especially from an insider like that. I would hope he as gone directly to Kaler and doesn't feel his issues are being addressed and that is the only avenue he feels he has left, then maybe it is understandable, even then I don't agree with it.

I don't see any benefit with going public with his displeasure, to go to the media with his complaint's is detrimental to everybody especially from an insider like that. I would hope he as gone directly to Kaler and doesn't feel his issues are being addressed and that is the only avenue he feels he has left, then maybe it is understandable, even then I don't agree with it.
I think the problem is that he HAS gone to Kaler and Kaler decided to protect the academics who want to get back at the jocks who ruined their high school time.

Well, he is right. Does the softball team get a seat on the search committee for the new Head of the Carlson School?
Does the swimming and gymnastics teams get seats on the search committee for the new head of the Psychology Dept?

I'm afraid I agree with you.

I like to support the coaches and administration till it becomes very obvious they are in over their head. Kaler has shown a total lack of leadership in this.

To be brutally honest, you don't know what you are talking about. It is easy to dismiss people's abilities if you don't even know who they are!

Here is the list of committee member, in your learned opinion, who is not qualified to be on the committee?

.....A 16-member search committee was named today by University of Minnesota President Eric W. Kaler to conduct a national search for the next director of Golden Gopher Athletics.

“The search for our next athletics director must bring our community together, and we have assembled a strong, diverse search committee to do that,” said Kaler. “Gopher Athletics must reflect the overall excellence of the University, and I’m confident this search will produce candidates with integrity and a record of success.”

Katrice Albert, the University’s vice president for equity and diversity, and Perry Leo, professor of aerospace engineering and faculty athletics representative, will co-chair the search committee.

The other members of the search committee reflect many stakeholder groups that are critical to Gopher Athletics’ success. They include the following faculty members, a head coach, a current student-athlete, former student-athletes, business people and community members:

Duke Anyanwu - Gopher student-athlete; Member, Advisory Committee on Athletics
Shari Ballard - President of U.S. Retail, Best Buy Corporation; Trustee, University of Minnesota Foundation
Jeremiah Carter - Director of Athletic Compliance; former Gopher student-athlete
Kevin Cattoor - Chief Operating Officer, Foodsby; Former Executive Vice President, Minnesota Twins
Bob Cunningham - Chief Executive Officer, Tri-County Implement; Member, President’s Club, University of Minnesota Foundation
Marty Davis - President & Chief Executive Officer, Cambria: Member, Intercollegiate Athletics Leadership Council
Emily Hoover - Professor of Horticulture; Faculty Athletics Representative
Lisa Kihl - Associate Professor of Kinesiology; Chair, sub-committee on Equity and Diversity, Advisory Committee on Athletics
Lisa Lissimore - Associate Director, Minnesota State High School League; Former Gopher student-athlete
Hugh McCutcheon - Head Coach, Golden Gopher Volleyball
Deborah Olson - CEO & Chair, Nelson Laboratories (retired); Member, Intercollegiate Athletics Leadership Council
Darrell Thompson - President, Bolder Options; Former Gopher student-athlete
Tom Vannelli - Director of Corporate Sales & Marketing, 3M Championship; Former Gopher student-athlete
Kevin Warren - Chief Operating Officer, Minnesota Vikings; Trustee, University of Minnesota Foundation

Please note that the Aerospace professor that everyone dismisses is the faculty athletics representative.

He is probably doing this to bring to light inadequacies that have lingered for decades within the Athletic Dept.

There's a time and place for everything. Sabotaging our chances to make a good AD hire during the hiring process, especially when good candidates have been identified, is not the time.

There's a time and place for everything. Sabotaging our chances to make a good AD hire during the hiring process, especially when good candidates have been identified, is not the time.

Kaler sure didn't help the process when he stated they hoped to pay less than the Big Ten average for an A.D.

Kaler sure didn't help the process when he stated they hoped to pay less than the Big Ten average for an A.D.

That's really the only thing bugging me. At this point, the public candidates for AD are in Teague's pay range and, maybe, experience level. Of course, we don't know what we don't know; but at the moment, the field seems limited.

I'm torn on this. On one hand.......I understand the frustration. Mr. Sakal was fortunate enough to play for an excellent football team. Who'd have projected our dismal accomplishment since 1967? That's like projecting Michigan or Ohio State to become irrelevant now. So.....I get why he'd be upset. However.....as a supporter of the team.....coming out with a statement like this is counteractive to the ultimate goal of improving the football team. A true supporter would be behind the team regardless. Mr. Sakal appears to have given up. Good riddance.

This is a very Minnesota Nice thread. Get upset, just don't show it. Write an email. Write a letter. if ignored, well, sit back down. Passive aggressiveness. These guys are supporting the team. They are trying to influence Kaler to hire someone that is pro-football, or at the least someone that doesn't hire unqualified coaches, eg kids with famous last names. Kaler appears to have rebuffed or ignored many people, including Kill, and that can raise hackles.

The idea that a candidate would walk away because people are upset with what has happened, or for lobbying for their preferred candidates is ludicrous. What school has a content fan base, or boosters?

This is a very Minnesota Nice thread. Get upset, just don't show it. Write an email. Write a letter. if ignored, well, sit back down. Passive aggressiveness. These guys are supporting the team. They are trying to influence Kaler to hire someone that is pro-football, or at the least someone that doesn't hire unqualified coaches, eg kids with famous last names. Kaler appears to have rebuffed or ignored many people, including Kill, and that can raise hackles.

The idea that a candidate would walk away because people are upset with what has happened, or for lobbying for their preferred candidates is ludicrous. What school has a content fan base, or boosters?

Yup.

This guy isn't supporting the team anymore....

This is a very Minnesota Nice thread. Get upset, just don't show it. Write an email. Write a letter. if ignored, well, sit back down. Passive aggressiveness. These guys are supporting the team. They are trying to influence Kaler to hire someone that is pro
Great points if he was supporting the team, but he's not, he took his ball and went home

Wonder if he'll be at the "Roast/Toast" for Jerry Kill on Friday?

+1,000

Let's not keep enabling the academic know-it-all bullies and hire somebody who knows about college athletics and is qualified for the job, unlike the psychology department, who hired somebody who thought receptionists were qualified to conduct sensitive therapy sessions.

+1,000

Let's not keep enabling the academic know-it-all bullies and hire somebody who knows about college athletics and is qualified for the job, unlike the psychology department, who hired somebody who thought receptionists were qualified to conduct sensitive therapy sessions.

Did you even read the list of committee members, I seriously doubt it.

Sure, OK, lets gets a group of egotistical former players, feed them a couple kegs of beer and hire who they pick!

Many people are fans of college athletics even if their degree isn't in Sports Management or Physical Education.

Did you even read the list of committee members, I seriously doubt it.

Sure, OK, lets gets a group of egotistical former players, feed them a couple kegs of beer and hire who they pick!

Many people are fans of college athletics even if their degree isn't in Sports Management or Physical Education.

Well, that's awfully dismissive and says more about you than it does about them. Most of these boosters have gone on to good things after athletics.

Well, that's awfully dismissive and says more about you than it does about them. Most of these boosters have gone on to good things after athletics.
+1,000 Pompous Elitist for the Win.

No, it really says more about you spouting off without knowing the facts. I did not attack any boosters. You keep bad mouthing the 16 members that does include several former athletic alumni. You are the one that assumes that a professor in a field other than athletics is an idiot and knows nothing about the AD position.

Like I posted in another topic, tell us exactly which members of the committee are not qualified. Here is the list:

....The search for our next athletics director must bring our community together, and we have assembled a strong, diverse search committee to do that,” said Kaler. “Gopher Athletics must reflect the overall excellence of the University, and I’m confident this search will produce candidates with integrity and a record of success.”

Katrice Albert, the University’s vice president for equity and diversity, and Perry Leo, professor of aerospace engineering and faculty athletics representative, will co-chair the search committee.

The other members of the search committee reflect many stakeholder groups that are critical to Gopher Athletics’ success. They include the following faculty members, a head coach, a current student-athlete, former student-athletes, business people and community members:

Duke Anyanwu - Gopher student-athlete; Member, Advisory Committee on Athletics
Shari Ballard - President of U.S. Retail, Best Buy Corporation; Trustee, University of Minnesota Foundation
Jeremiah Carter - Director of Athletic Compliance; former Gopher student-athlete
Kevin Cattoor - Chief Operating Officer, Foodsby; Former Executive Vice President, Minnesota Twins
Bob Cunningham - Chief Executive Officer, Tri-County Implement; Member, President’s Club, University of Minnesota Foundation
Marty Davis - President & Chief Executive Officer, Cambria: Member, Intercollegiate Athletics Leadership Council
Emily Hoover - Professor of Horticulture; Faculty Athletics Representative
Lisa Kihl - Associate Professor of Kinesiology; Chair, sub-committee on Equity and Diversity, Advisory Committee on Athletics
Lisa Lissimore - Associate Director, Minnesota State High School League; Former Gopher student-athlete
Hugh McCutcheon - Head Coach, Golden Gopher Volleyball
Deborah Olson - CEO & Chair, Nelson Laboratories (retired); Member, Intercollegiate Athletics Leadership Council
Darrell Thompson - President, Bolder Options; Former Gopher student-athlete
Tom Vannelli - Director of Corporate Sales & Marketing, 3M Championship; Former Gopher student-athlete
Kevin Warren - Chief Operating Officer, Minnesota Vikings; Trustee, University of Minnesota Foundation....

I think you're confusing me with someone else. I haven't attacked the individual members per se as I know nothing about them in terms of wisdom regarding the choosing of an AD. Some feel that a candidate like Najarian can't be an AD, yet we have people only tangentially experienced with athletics administration or even athletics choosing the AD.

I do agree 16, in addition to the search firm, prevents a cohesive and focused approach. The logistics of it don't seem workable in terms of interviews, etc.

What it says to me is that Kaler doesn't know what he wants, or maybe he wants a vanilla candidate such as Goetz that most don't have strong feelings about. Or he's just playing politics as all high level administrators learn to do. Placate the fire breathers with platitudes and empty gestures and do something else. I'm as fascinated to see the result of this as anyone.

Top Bottom