Whoa: Tom Sakal disgusted by issues at U, "no way in hell" he'll leave athletics $

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Whoa: Tom Sakal disgusted by issues at U, "no way in hell" he'll leave athletics $

per WCCO:

Tom Sakal, the captain of Minnesota’s last Big Ten champion football team in 1967, told WCCO he has received “half a dozen” calls from the University in the last two months asking for money but has lost confidence in his alma mater’s ability to use it wisely.

“When I look at the people on that committee, an aerospace engineer, a professor of horticulture, what the hell do they know about selecting an athletic director?” Sakal said. “You can quote me on that. It’s a laughingstock.”

Sakal said he was planning to leave “a six-figure sum of money” for the athletic department from his estate, but has grown so frustrated with Kaler that he removed the gift from his will. The handling of the athletic director search was the last straw, he said.

“I’m extremely disgusted, it’s one failure after another,” he said. “There is no way in hell I’m going to leave them one penny.”

and in the article as well, McKinley Boston weighs in on the AD search:

The unusually large size of the committee is a chief concern, due to the belief that it increases the likelihood that candidates’ names could leak, which could be an obstacle to a deep candidate pool if it discourages potential candidates at other schools from entering the process over fear their current school could find out they’re job hunting. By comparison, fellow Big Ten schools Michigan and Illinois both had eight people on their recent athletic director search committees. Purdue, in its current search, has seven people on its search committee.

“Obviously, the more people, the more chance of leaks being made,” said McKinley Boston, Minnesota’s athletic director from 1991-95 and a member of the Gophers’ 1967 Big Ten championship football team. “A sitting AD is going to be concerned because of the confidentiality piece of it. Some people just don’t want to take that risk. Donors question if you have one foot out the door.”

Minnesota required the 16 members of its search committee to sign a nondisclosure agreement, but that doesn’t mean everybody always adheres to that, said Boston, who was the athletic director at New Mexico State for 10 years until retiring last year.

“Somebody’s going to tell somebody who’s going to tell somebody,” Boston said. “That’s just the nature of the beast. Usually on a committee of 16, somebody’s going to share what’s going on.”

Boston’s sentiments echo a common concern among multiple prominent donors, influential alumni and current athletic department personnel. WCCO spoke to more than a dozen people for this story, several of whom requested anonymity due to their role in Gophers athletics.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/...aise-concerns-about-athletic-director-search/

Go Gophers!!

That's a shame.

But hey, it's always fun to hear from Cheatin' Clem's enabler.

That's a shame.

But hey, it's always fun to hear from Cheatin' Clem's enabler.

Exactly. I have no regard for McKinley Boston's opinion. He's the one that let Clem do whatever the hell he wanted. Somehow Mark Dienhart took the brunt of the fall, and Boston got off scot-free.

I am disappointed he feel that way, but its a "whoa!" when it is a seven figure gift.

So were losing out out on a donation that probably wasn't going to come for another 20-30 years?

With all the success Tom brought us so far how can we afford to lose this guy?

/s

Sounds like a real problem-solver. Look, nearly everyone is frustrated with the Maturi-Teague wreckage, but taking your ball and going home, can't change the past and offers no help for the future. Maybe when Sakal comes back to the adults table from standing in the corner and holding his breath, he will recall that old adage "better to light one candle than curse the darkness".

Wish Minnesota had a Pegula or Engelstad. Nine figure gifts.

Do these people realize that their constant need to have their voices heard does nothing to advance the concept that the AD job is a good one? I'm sure candidates are well aware of all the in-fighting and perceived dysfunction at the University of Minnesota, most of it brought to the surface over and over again by alumni who simply love to hear themselves bitching.

The disdain towards people that donate their hard earned money is disgusting.

Maybe, just maybe they know something you don't.

Or they don't know something.... it is put up or shut up as far as I'm concerned. Otherwise it is just whining to the press that they gave money and didn't get what they wanted.

Once they start talking bad about the school publicly, my questions about their motivations / loyalty start to mount...

While all donations are appreciated, there just that donations, when donors start sounding like the bigwigs who donate to political campaigns and start making demands than their over the line. With that being said it's his money he can do what he likes,, but no donor should expect to have a say in something like the next AD search and furthermore if they really care about the U they wouldn't **** all over the institution at every opportunity

Sounds like a real problem-solver. Look, nearly everyone is frustrated with the Maturi-Teague wreckage, but taking your ball and going home, can't change the past and offers no help for the future. Maybe when Sakal comes back to the adults table from standing in the corner and holding his breath, he will recall that old adage "better to light one candle than curse the darkness".

I think his frustration goes well beyond Maturi and Teague. I'm guessing it is a culmination of bad presidents and a number of ineffective ADs and HCs over the past 50-years. Kaler doesn't inspire a lot of confidence to many longtime fans which is disheartening at times. Hopefully we finally get it right with the next AD and TC exceeds expectations.

While all donations are appreciated, there just that donations, when donors start sounding like the bigwigs who donate to political campaigns and start making demands than their over the line. With that being said it's his money he can do what he likes,, but no donor should expect to have a say in something like the next AD search and furthermore if they really care about the U they wouldn't **** all over the institution at every opportunity

Now that I renewed my tickets, it's nice to know I'm appreciated.

So which poster is Mr. Sakal? His quotes sound like a lot of what I read on here.

I completely understand his frustration, but changing his will over it is really silly since he does not have any idea what the outcome will be, or actually how the process is being managed. I am sorry there is no presence from successful athletic alumni that I can detect.
I too am very sorry that the U continues to try to pretend it can please everyone by including every concerned constituency on the search committee. In fact, that does not really help much because if the wrong person gets hired the only person who will own the problem is Kaler and the Regents, (and the ticket buying public) not the 50 teams and groups of boosters who think they know exactly what we need.
But the fact is, not everyone will be involved in early interviews or screening meetings that decide who the final candidates will be, so it can not be as unwieldy as it looks .

Exactly. I have no regard for McKinley Boston's opinion. He's the one that let Clem do whatever the hell he wanted. Somehow Mark Dienhart took the brunt of the fall, and Boston got off scot-free.

Last time I checked Mac reported to Dienhart and Dienhart reported to Mac. The blame/punishment was as it should have been.

Last time I checked Mac reported to Dienhart and Dienhart reported to Mac. The blame/punishment was as it should have been.

Department of Redundancy Department? :confused:

Last time I checked Haskins reported to Dienhart and Dienhart reported to Mac. The blame/punishment was as it should have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Sakal is entitled to his opinion of the AD search process and to support the Athletic Department financially as he chooses. But what’s the value of his public diatribe? Is it going to change the process? Is it going to encourage qualified candidates to accept the position? As far as I can tell, the list of people under consideration per the Star Tribune includes some seemingly well qualified candidates. I found the statement of desired qualifications that will guide the selection process to be very good. I have some doubts that there is anyone alive who would fully meet all of those qualifications, but I’m confident if the advisory commitment seeks to apply those qualifications in good faith, our chances of making a good hire would be very good notwithstanding the size and composition of the committee. And they will, after all, have headhunter evaluations to consider. Rather than undercutting the chosen process, and discouraging qualified candidates, I would encourage critics, such as Sakal, to communicate their concerns privately to Kaler and committee members. I’m sure that the committee’s recommendation will be made public before Kaler makes a final decision, and there will be time enough to express concerns at that time. But projecting an image of incompetence and lack of fan support for Gopher Athletics is the last thing we need.

Anyone who would leave a six-figure donation to the athletics department of one of the largest universities in America needs to take another look at their priorities in life. There are countless worthy charities in the U.S. and around the world that can put that money to much better use.

So everyone that leaves a six figure donation gets to say who they hire and when to fire someone?? We would be hiring and firing every week then. It's it's crazy all the demands former this and former that make. Let's get it right today.

Anyone who would leave a six-figure donation to the athletics department of one of the largest universities in America needs to take another look at their priorities in life. There are countless worthy charities in the U.S. and around the world that can put that money to much better use.

I'm guessing this wins dumbest post of the weekend and there won't be a close second.

I disagree. People have connections in their life for their own personal reasons. If they choose to spend or donate their money to any organization, that's their business.

I'm spending $600 on donations this year to the U of M with my ticket purchase. $600 could make an impact for a different charity. But, it's my money, and I'm not asking anyone else if it's okay. Okay, my wife said it's okay. :eek:

We are not selecting the POPE - its a A.D. position!!! What is taking so long for a simple process? The way things are going the United States may have elected a new president by the time the AD is selected...

Or they don't know something.... it is put up or shut up as far as I'm concerned. Otherwise it is just whining to the press that they gave money and didn't get what they wanted.

Once they start talking bad about the school publicly, my questions about their motivations / loyalty start to mount...

This is all a late-1970s redux for me. I remember when the M Club tried to basically take over the department. They have insights that should be respected, but all this caterwauling in the press just defeats the purpose of reinvigorating the athletic department; a goal they supposedly want over anything else. My guess is most of this is emanating from folks with a pro-Stein sentiment.

This is all a late-1970s redux for me. I remember when the M Club tried to basically take over the department. They have insights that should be respected, but all this caterwauling in the press just defeats the purpose of reinvigorating the athletic department; a goal they supposedly want over anything else. My guess is most of this is emanating from folks with a pro-Stein sentiment.

That's when they campaigned for getting rid of Cal Stoll and gave us "M Club" guy Joe Salem in his place.

That's when they campaigned for getting rid of Cal Stoll and gave us "M Club" guy Joe Salem in his place.

The exact recollection I was referring to.

I'm not sure on the Metrodome fiasco, but I seem to recall that some M Club guys were pushing that as well. I'm foggier (and not Rickey) on that one.

Top Bottom