2016 NFL Draft Thread - 3-4 Gophers Likely Drafted

Fifty three picks away before the curtain closes on 2016 NFL Draft.

Let's hope BBC makes that window. Not too sure about KJ Maye at this point.

It may be UDFA for BBC, KJ Maye, & hopefully Mortell.

Fifty three picks away before the curtain closes on 2016 NFL Draft.

Let's hope BBC makes that window. Not too sure about KJ Maye at this point.

It may be UDFA for BBC, KJ Maye, & hopefully Mortell.

Maye an Mortell seem like locks for the UDFA route, I can't imagine either of them getting picked. Maye is too small and will have to earn his way onto a roster and only a handful of punters ever get drafted.

Hopefully someone will draft BBC however at this point in the draft ending up as a free agent isn't the worst thing in the world because it gives you a chance to go somewhere that needs you.

Nowhere did i say they sucked. They did not make the playoffs and play for the nat champ as expected.

True they fell short of their expectation of making the final 4 but I find it hard to peg a team as underachievers when their only loss came to another team that ended up in the playoff. It says something when not going undefeated and making the playoff is viewed as a failure by a lot of people. Imagine the U being held to a standard like that.

Against BBC, is a glut of CBs in this draft.

Hopefully he is a preferred UFDA, but then again there are twenty graded CB prospects left on the board.

The draft is over so BBC, Mortell, and K J Maye will all have to go the UDFA route. In BBC's case it might be a blessing, he projects best as a situational nickle back, he'll be able to select the best situation for himself.

Peter Mortell to the Packers, and Thieran Cockran signs with the Vikings!

On KFan Show tomorrow 9-11. Includes a post-draft visit with @JaySawvel who put a couple more DB's in the NFL. #gophers DC joins at 9:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Undrafted Free Agency is busy long before the Irrelevant One in the draft was announced.

The fact that BBC, K.J. Maye, Thieran Cockran, and Peter Mortell signed with teams in a matter of a couple of hours after the conclusion of the draft tells me this even more critical for teams than I imagine.

There are only so many players that can be drafted. On a given year, you may have a glut of very talented players in positions like CB or OL that were often overlooked. They did not grade well in the evaluations, but are gamers. Some played in unheralded teams and did not get a chance to shine in the spotlight of college football.

This will provide fuel for these players who are given a chance to shine. Some of them may even supplant drafted players similar to the PWOs in college.

The Vikings have an inside track on the Gophers for UDFA as they are just right across the river even though they did not have a fighting chance to draft Eric Murray, Rashede Hageman, or Maxx Williams on any given draft year.

I did remember hearing how impressed the Vikings staff were with how polished, polite, and fundamentally sound the Jerry Kill Gophers/Claeys football players were that they have interviewed. They are making men out of football players at The Bank.

Any chance Antonio Johnson gets picked up some where?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I think Undrafted Free Agency is busy long before the Irrelevant One in the draft was announced.

The fact that BBC, K.J. Maye, Thieran Cockran, and Peter Mortell signed with teams in a matter of a couple of hours after the conclusion of the draft tells me this even more critical for teams than I imagine.

Teams devote countless hours preparing for the draft and free agency so there is no doubt they have a list of guys that they figure won't be drafted that they want to bring in as free agents. I am sure the conversations with agents are going on non stop so that the agents know which teams might be interested in their clients.

Teams devote countless hours preparing for the draft and free agency so there is no doubt they have a list of guys that they figure won't be drafted that they want to bring in as free agents. I am sure the conversations with agents are going on non stop so that the agents know which teams might be interested in their clients.
They don't have a seperate list, they have a list by position, as players get drafted they come off the list. At the end of the draft teams look at their needs, who's left, then try to sign guys that may fill a need. It goes quickly because every team is doing the same thing.

They don't have a seperate list, they have a list by position, as players get drafted they come off the list. At the end of the draft teams look at their needs, who's left, then try to sign guys that may fill a need. It goes quickly because every team is doing the same thing.

Is that right? Good to know. Sounds like you have been involved in a few NFL draft rooms.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Seems like maybe they could have taken a few minutes to remove the draft portion of the shield and gone with something else since his NFL tryout has nothing to do with the draft. Good luck to Antonio though, hopefully it pans out for him and he ends up getting signed and invited to training camp.

Top Bottom