STrib: Nine names rise to top of Gophers AD search

No. It took months AND $750,000. Roughly 5% of the donations they will collect from season ticket holders was squandered on something Captain Obvious could have created in an afternoon. It must have been hard to find Pete Najarian as a candidate for this job, other than running a mini campaign to make sure the entire world knew he was interested in the job there was almost no way you could have found him without an elite search committee.

$750K? I've got to get into this gig...

Phil Esten Bio - Deputy Director & Chief Operating Officer For Interathletics, Penn State: http://www.gopsusports.com/genrel/phil_esten_930576.html

My positives: from the area - LaCrosse WI (Saint Thomas undergrad, masters at Ohio State, doctorate at UofM), was instrumental in the fundraising and construction of TCF Bank stadium, was Associate AD at UofM for six years, experience in comparable roles at Cal & Penn State, solid ties to boosters & alumni as president & CEO of UofM Alumni Association.

He is prime to be an AD with a solid resume in operations and fundraising. This is a destination job for him.

My favorite for AD.

Chip Scoggins: Najarian might have what U needs in an athletic director
http://www.startribune.com/najarian-just-might-have-what-the-u-needs-in-an-ad/371342051/

My positives: Bleeds maroon & gold, alumni donors easily identify with him, business acumen, someone who appears to be an excellent fundraiser.

If hired, it will be great if Beth Goetz can stick around long term as second in command to run day to day ops.

And make it worth her while.

It's time to be aggressive and make this work. Trying to 'keep everyone happy' hasn't gotten the job done.

Chip Scoggins: Najarian might have what U needs in an athletic director
http://www.startribune.com/najarian-just-might-have-what-the-u-needs-in-an-ad/371342051/

My positives: Bleeds maroon & gold, alumni donors easily identify with him, business acumen, someone who appears to be an excellent fundraiser.

If hired, it will be great if Beth Goetz can stick around long term as second in command to run day to day ops.

Kaler will make his pick. If not Najarian, would he accept a position as assistant AD? Or take his marbles and stay home. This type of move could be very popular with many alumni and help heal some of the festering wounds.

Kaler will make his pick. If not Najarian, would he accept a position as assistant AD? Or take his marbles and stay home. This type of move could be very popular with many alumni and help heal some of the festering wounds.
That's not going to happen. It's not like he needs a job.

Just the pure existence of this huge search committee and a search firm that yields such an obvious list of candidates prove total dysfunction by the top U administrators. The last thing we need is another "Administrator type AD" to gum up the works. We need an "Advocate" for the success of all athletics, especially the revenue producing sports. I would like to see someone not afraid to take on the administration. I would like to see someone that is not afraid to get fired for standing up to what they think is right. The second in command can/should be someone like Beth G. BUT, our next AD should be someone that can take the point and lead this department to prominence. So i am pulling for Gutzke, Najarian or even Stein.

Bingo. Let the life-long administrators administrate. There are plenty of positions like that, and they're important too. But the AD needs to be a leader and culture-changer, someone with gravitas.

This won't happen, and it's a damn shame, but after time has passed, and sitting here right now, today, Jerry Kill would far and away be the best Athletic Director The University of Minnesota could hope for. Can't believe how bad Kaler crapped the bed with Teague. It's going to take some time to rebuild, and to build relationships for the new AD (provided they're even high quality). Jerry Kill would hit the ground running, the relationships have been built. Let's hope Minnesota doesn't do what it has for the last 40 years, and f up this hire. Maybe they actually get someone like Kill, who doesn't settle for mediocrity, and actually demands and cultivates great character.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This won't happen, and it's a damn shame, but after time has passed, and sitting here right now, today, Jerry Kill would far and away be the best Athletic Director The University of Minnesota could hope for. Can't believe how bad Kaler crapped the bed with Teague. It's going to take some time to rebuild, and to build relationships for the new AD (provided they're even high quality). Jerry Kill would hit the ground running, the relationships have been built. Let's hope Minnesota doesn't do what it has for the last 40 years, and f up this hire. Maybe they actually get someone like Kill, who doesn't settle for mediocrity, and actually demands and cultivates great character.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Again, it all depends on what type of AD they want. If they want a face of the program, fund-raiser, glad-hander type as AD, Kill could do that. (although his health will always be an issue.).
But, if they want a more detail-oriented person to overall compliance, title IX, budgets, etc - I just don't see Kill as the kind of guy who wants to sit in an office going over budgets, etc.

Oh goody, more Kill for AD talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headline should have been "AD Candidate List Down to Nine, Committee Up to Sixteen"

Lou Nanne was on "The Sports Show" Sunday night. He made some points about the A.D. search.

1. Despite Sid's insistence that "no one wants this job", Lou said that a number of people (who already had jobs) wanted to know if they could be interviewed (without word getting out). Surprised me too. Nanne implied that this happens all over. See Glen Mason and Dave Joerger for examples.

2. Lou had no problem with a large search committee. He thought it was gonna be a dozen people, didn't seem that thrilled that it went to 16.

3. He was also very emphatic that only "a few people" from the committee will be interviewing candidates for the job.

On a side note (and I'm not really fond of Sid) yes, Sid is losing it, hell he's in his 90's! And he does ramble on and slow-up the proceedings, but Mike (the A**hat) Max lectured him like he was a 2 year old on camera. Lou looked surprised and even Patrick looked a little disgusted by it. They should have stopped tape or cut it out of the broadcast, but no, Max wanted people to know that he was in charge I guess.

Oh, and that he was a "bleep" too.

Saw the show myself Ice.

Sid kept saying, over and over, that no one wanted the job. Louie was getting fed up with Sid.

The worst thing with Sid is he slows down the show. They will discuss a topic and Sid will comment about something else...out of the blue. They have to go back, explain to him what they were talking about and start over....very frustrating to watch at times.

Saw the show myself Ice.

Sid kept saying, over and over, that no one wanted the job. Louie was getting fed up with Sid.

The worst thing with Sid is he slows down the show. They will discuss a topic and Sid will comment about something else...out of the blue. They have to go back, explain to him what they were talking about and start over....very frustrating to watch at times.

Don't disagree with any of that obviously, alluded to them myself. Just didn't like the on camera lecture, even more than I dislike M.M. Sid shouldn't be on the show at all. He offers little insight and as you say, makes the show tough to watch.

That's all on Max too. He's (one of?) the producer of the show, he should fire Sid. Wonder if he has the balls for that?

Oh, and what did you think of Lou's comments on the A.D. search?

Lou Nanne was on "The Sports Show" Sunday night. He made some points about the A.D. search.

1. Despite Sid's insistence that "no one wants this job", Lou said that a number of people (who already had jobs) wanted to know if they could be interviewed (without word getting out). Surprised me too. Nanne implied that this happens all over. See Glen Mason and Dave Joerger for examples.

2. Lou had no problem with a large search committee. He thought it was gonna be a dozen people, didn't seem that thrilled that it went to 16.

3. He was also very emphatic that only "a few people" from the committee will be interviewing candidates for the job.

On a side note (and I'm not really fond of Sid) yes, Sid is losing it, hell he's in his 90's! And he does ramble on and slow-up the proceedings, but Mike (the A**hat) Max lectured him like he was a 2 year old on camera. Lou looked surprised and even Patrick looked a little disgusted by it. They should have stopped tape or cut it out of the broadcast, but no, Max wanted people to know that he was in charge I guess.

Oh, and that he was a "bleep" too.

Sid's charm is that he's more crazy now. That's his thing.

I just can't believe anyone watches that show.

Years ago I watched it and it was ok, but nobody on the show seems to care anymore. I think Mike Max is just holding them hostage or they're laundering money through the show or something....

Oh goody, more Kill for AD talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone needs to start a JKAA group (Jerry Kill Addicts Anonymous) where all the Kill lovers can profess their undying support for Jerry Kill on a weekly basis. Apparently our Knut Rockne retired in the middle of last season.

Top Bottom