STrib: Nine names rise to top of Gophers AD search

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

None of the 14 sources could confirm whether there were more than nine people in an advanced stage of the search process, but based on those interviews here is an alphabetical list of candidates who have been contacted and screened for the job by Turnkey:

Phil Esten, Penn State deputy AD
Sean Frazier, Northern Illinois AD
Beth Goetz, Gophers interim AD
David Gutzke, U.S. Bank senior VP
Pete Najarian, CNBC stock analyst
Bill Robertson, WCHA commissioner
Bob Stein, Minneapolis attorney
Gene Taylor, Iowa deputy AD
Craig Thompson, Mountain West commissioner

http://www.startribune.com/nine-names-rise-to-top-of-gophers-ad-search/377478231/

Go Gophers!!

per Joe:

None of the 14 sources could confirm whether there were more than nine people in an advanced stage of the search process, but based on those interviews here is an alphabetical list of candidates who have been contacted and screened for the job by Turnkey:

http://www.startribune.com/nine-names-rise-to-top-of-gophers-ad-search/377478231/

Go Gophers!!

Esten's been my #1 choice for awhile. If this is a legit list, I'm glad he's on it.

Najarian and Stein being on the list is embarrassing. I've never heard of David Gutzke and doubt he's qualified. The rest are legitimate candidates. I can't say who would be the best hire, but I personally hope it's Esten.

I would take any of those, with the exception of Bob Stein. Anyone know anything about Dave Gutzke? Looking at his LinkedIn, I cannot figure out why he is on the list. Seems to have a pretty standard Advisor position at US Bank. Nothing else jumps out at me

My top 2 would be Esten or Najarian. My donation level is low, so my opinion is worth even less.

I would take any of those, with the exception of Bob Stein. Anyone know anything about Dave Gutzke? Looking at his LinkedIn, I cannot figure out why he is on the list. Seems to have a pretty standard Advisor position at US Bank. Nothing else jumps out at me

I checked Gutzke's twitter feed. More entertaining than Mason's. Ivy League undergrad and St. Thomas MBA. Nothing that screams P5 athletic director.

Gaard chimes in:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Goetz, Esten or Fraiser would be fine by me. If Taylor's clean in the discriminatory law suit in Iowa, I could live with him. Najerin and stein are probably on there to apiece the loons like Jim Carter and anyone else who went complaining to the Governor, but they have no business being an AD

Not a single person on this list that would tower over the NDSU OL. Disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per Marus:

Wisconsin athletics director Barry Alvarez said Thursday that Frazier is ready to run a Big Ten program right now. The former Alabama football player was deputy AD at Wisconsin when the Badgers made three Rose Bowl appearances, and he’s had success at Northern Illinois since taking over that school’s athletics department in 2013.

“He’s done nice work at Northern,” Alvarez said. “He was an important part of our operation (at Wisconsin). He had decision-making opportunities. He’s touched all phases of it. There’s no doubt in my mind he would handle a Big Ten job very well.”

Frazier worked with the Badgers under Alvarez for six years, starting in 2007. He was promoted to deputy AD in 2011, and his role included overseeing fundraising efforts of $123 million. He acted as head administrator for football, men’s basketball and men’s hockey. He also served as NCAA men’s hockey committee chair in 2011.

“He had a background of running his program,” Alvarez said. “He wasn’t afraid to make tough decisions. The more he stayed with me, the more responsibility I gave him. One of the things he oversaw was our fundraising arm, and he did a nice job with it. At (NIU), I know he’s very proactive in the football program. The basketball program has gotten better since he’s been there. I know he’s worked very hard in fundraising and trying to improve their facilities.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/04/28/high-praise-for-gophers-ad-candidates-sean-frazier-gene-taylor/

Go Gophers!!

per Marus: Wisconsin athletics director Barry Alvarez said Thursday that Frazier is ready to run a Big Ten program right now. The former Alabama football player was deputy AD at Wisconsin when the Badgers made three Rose Bowl appearances, and he’s had success at Northern Illinois since taking over that school’s athletics department in 2013. “He’s done nice work at Northern,” Alvarez said. “He was an important part of our operation (at Wisconsin). He had decision-making opportunities. He’s touched all phases of it. There’s no doubt in my mind he would handle a Big Ten job very well.” Frazier worked with the Badgers under Alvarez for six years, starting in 2007. He was promoted to deputy AD in 2011, and his role included overseeing fundraising efforts of $123 million. He acted as head administrator for football, men’s basketball and men’s hockey. He also served as NCAA men’s hockey committee chair in 2011. “He had a background of running his program,” Alvarez said. “He wasn’t afraid to make tough decisions. The more he stayed with me, the more responsibility I gave him. One of the things he oversaw was our fundraising arm, and he did a nice job with it. At (NIU), I know he’s very proactive in the football program. The basketball program has gotten better since he’s been there. I know he’s worked very hard in fundraising and trying to improve their facilities.” http://www.twincities.com/2016/04/28/high-praise-for-gophers-ad-candidates-sean-frazier-gene-taylor/ Go Gophers!!

Cue Wren!

My top three go:
Najarian
Gene Taylor
Phil Esten

Not a bad list compiled. I know the folks in Fargo absolutely loved Gene Taylor and what he did for their football program. To be honest, I am not up to speed on my top AD's in the country

So it took how many months and how many on a searching committee to come up with what is very similar to the list that gopherhole compiled?

Looks like Gutzke is the managing director of their wealth management division. I suppose he is connected to the right people. I'd prefer someone who's been in leadership in an athletic department. I'd also prefer the job go to the best candidate.

per Joe:

Go Gophers!!

Whichever one of them who hasn't been endorsed by Sid is my choice. Does that leave anyone?

Looks like Gutzke is the managing director of their wealth management division. I suppose he is connected to the right people. I'd prefer someone who's been in leadership in an athletic department. I'd also prefer the job go to the best candidate.

He's a managing director in the wealth management division. There are about five people between him and the head of wealth management.

So it took how many months and how many on a searching committee to come up with what is very similar to the list that gopherhole compiled?

No. It took months AND $750,000. Roughly 5% of the donations they will collect from season ticket holders was squandered on something Captain Obvious could have created in an afternoon. It must have been hard to find Pete Najarian as a candidate for this job, other than running a mini campaign to make sure the entire world knew he was interested in the job there was almost no way you could have found him without an elite search committee.

This made me laugh because it was sooo true.

The Gopher Hole provides lock tight confidentiality to any potential candidates, collates, vets, and delivers recommendations to President Kaler. Confidentiality is necessary as many are concerned about receiving massive raises if there are rumors of them looking around. IALTO. Are there really employers out there that think their employees aren't looking for better opportunities (serious question)?

I like Craig Thompson. One reason being if Pitino fails he.would bring in Eric Musselman.

Just the pure existence of this huge search committee and a search firm that yields such an obvious list of candidates prove total dysfunction by the top U administrators. The last thing we need is another "Administrator type AD" to gum up the works. We need an "Advocate" for the success of all athletics, especially the revenue producing sports. I would like to see someone not afraid to take on the administration. I would like to see someone that is not afraid to get fired for standing up to what they think is right. The second in command can/should be someone like Beth G. BUT, our next AD should be someone that can take the point and lead this department to prominence. So i am pulling for Gutzke, Najarian or even Stein.

Top Bottom