BTN announces initial list of prime time games, includes Gophers vs Oregon State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

No problem with night games (well a few) but damn Thursdays.... when everyone else is playing.

Wasn't this announced like 2 years ago that the next 4 years would start on Thursday at 7?

Wasn't this announced like 2 years ago that the next 4 years would start on Thursday at 7?

Buffalo, New Mexico State and South Dakota State the next three thursday matchups though '19. No guarantee on start time, I think. Last year was 8 pm and two years ago on BTN was at 6 pm.

Maybe SDSU will be gone by then.

Apparently I'm in the minority but think it is smart to play our first game on a Thursday, at home, for a number of reasons:

We get nine days between this and our second game. This is an advantage if our second opponent gets only seven days between games.

We are likely to get a decent television viewing compared to Saturday when there is so much more competition.

Incoming freshmen get to dress and be part of the team under the lights even if they don't play. I'm assuming playing at night is a more exciting experience and, if so, what a nice way to start one's career.

A better chance for cooler temps on a Thursday evening compared to a likely daytime game on the first Saturday of the season.

A nice change of pace for fans who can do a daily-double with the State Fair.

Those are some of my reasons. Bring on the I have to work complaints and only idiots like weeknight games.

I like the thursday evening games. Don't see a single problem with them.

Apparently I'm in the minority but think it is smart to play our first game on a Thursday, at home, for a number of reasons:

We get nine days between this and our second game. This is an advantage if our second opponent gets only seven days between games.

We are likely to get a decent television viewing compared to Saturday when there is so much more competition.

Incoming freshmen get to dress and be part of the team under the lights even if they don't play. I'm assuming playing at night is a more exciting experience and, if so, what a nice way to start one's career.

A better chance for cooler temps on a Thursday evening compared to a likely daytime game on the first Saturday of the season.

Those are some of my reasons. Bring on the I have to work complaints and only idiots like weeknight games.

I'm with you. You forgot the Twins playing 50 games out of first place, an absolutely meaningless pro football game and a sub class-A Saints team playing that night as well crowd. A pox on them all.

I like the Thursday game other than it being a HS football night due to Labor Day weekend. I don't like Gopher games being dictated by the State Fair lobbyists

I'm with you. You forgot the Twins playing 50 games out of first place, an absolutely meaningless pro football game and a sub class-A Saints team playing that night as well crowd. A pox on them all.

You weren't aware that the Vikings/San Diego exhibition game will be the first game played in the billion dollar US Bank Stadium? So yes, there is meaning there and yes it will be packed.

Continue.

You weren't aware that the Vikings/San Diego exhibition game will be the first game played in the billion dollar US Bank Stadium? So yes, there is meaning there and yes it will be packed.

Continue.

I will be attending the first game played in the billion dollar US Bank Stadium. Its on August 3rd and has nothing to do with the vikings.

I will be attending the first game played in the billion dollar US Bank Stadium. Its on August 3rd and has nothing to do with the vikings.

Yeah, wasn't sure how to address that point. Does that mean that you're betting on a small crowd for the Vikings first game there?

Yeah, wasn't sure how to address that point. Does that mean that you're betting on a small crowd for the Vikings first game there?

I wasn't the original poster you quoted, but i'd agree with that poster that the game is actually a "meaningless" game as he stated. Even though it is meaningless I'll agree with you that since it's a new stadium attendance will be much higher than a regular first preseason game attendance but that still doesn't make it a meaningful game like you claim.

I wasn't the original poster you quoted, but i'd agree with that poster that the game is actually a "meaningless" game as he stated. Even though it is meaningless I'll agree with you that since it's a new stadium attendance will be much higher than a regular first preseason game attendance but that still doesn't make it a meaningful game like you claim.

? I called it an "exhibition" game and you went with the NFL's preferred and pompous "preseason"game and mine translates to "meaningful" for you?:rolleyes:

Continue.

? I called it an "exhibition" game and you went with the NFL's preferred and pompous "preseason"game and mine translates to "meaningful" for you?:rolleyes:

I think you are confused about what you wrote. I quoted it for you. Pretty clear.

I think you are confused about what you wrote. I quoted it for you. Pretty clear.

"I wasn't the original poster you quoted, but i'd agree with that poster that the game is actually a "meaningless" game as he stated"

Okay, it's the first Viking exhibition game played in a new billion dollar US Bank stadium. Yes, there is meaning there, wouldn't say it will be "full of meaning"i.e. meaningful, might just be semantics, but you chose the word you wanted used. Not the one I typed.

The place will be packed, and not just people who worship all pre-season, regular and post season games but people who just want to be there. :)

Definition of meaningful: having meaning. Sorry but you said it, and now you have said it twice.

I agreed with you, more people will turn out than a regular first pre-season game. But just because more people turn out does not make the game meaningful. The first game played in the stadium will be a soccer match and I'll be there to see it. The first vikings game played in the stadium that has meaning will be the packers game.

Apparently I'm in the minority but think it is smart to play our first game on a Thursday, at home, for a number of reasons: We get nine days between this and our second game. This is an advantage if our second opponent gets only seven days between games. We are likely to get a decent television viewing compared to Saturday when there is so much more competition. Incoming freshmen get to dress and be part of the team under the lights even if they don't play. I'm assuming playing at night is a more exciting experience and, if so, what a nice way to start one's career. A better chance for cooler temps on a Thursday evening compared to a likely daytime game on the first Saturday of the season. A nice change of pace for fans who can do a daily-double with the State Fair. Those are some of my reasons. Bring on the I have to work complaints and only idiots like weeknight games.

A well reasoned list but personally I can't imagine daily doubling anything with the state fair!

Loved the vibe at the TCU game last year!

Unless our game was switched to August 28, it will be the second home preseason games at US Bank stadium.

I need more night games as my kids are playing youth football on Saturday.

If you enjoy the State Fair, we don't want you at Gopher Games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you enjoy the State Fair, we don't want you at Gopher Games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The State Fair may not be for everyone, but there is something very "Minnesotan" about it. I don't go every year, but I try to make it to the Fair every 2 or 3 years just for the heck of it. (and the cookies.....................and seeing young ladies sculpted in butter......)

Top Bottom