GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Matthew Hurt Says It "Would Be Cool" to Represent Gophers in College

Q&A: Matthew Hurt Says It "Would Be Cool" to Represent Gophers in College
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/642388?referrer_id=

Matthew Hurt, a 6-foot-9 freshman forward from Rochester (MN) John Marshall, is considered Minnesota's top player in the Class of 2019 and will likely be ranked very high when the national rankings come out for his class. He has had a monster spring so far and has caught the attention of college coaches all over the country.

Hurt has helped lead D1 Minnesota to a 7-1 start in the adidas series and has added several top offers in the past two weeks. He leads the team in scoring with 12.9 points per game and is second in rebounding (7.0) and blocks (1.4)

Hurt comes from a basketball family. His older brother, Michael, will be an incoming freshman and was ranked as the number two senior in the state.

Matthew Hurt averaged 18.7 points, 8.4 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 3.1 blocks and 1.7 steals per game this season as the Rockets finished 24-5, losing to Lakeville North 60-58 in the Section 1AAAA championship game for the fourth straight year. He shot 57.5% from the field, 78.2% from the free throw line and 41.4% from three-point range. Hurt scored in double figures in all but two games with a season-high 33 points versus Shakopee.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Hurt at Tuesday's D1 Minnesota practice to learn the latest on his AAU season and recent scholarship offers.

Gopher Hole: You guys have played extremely well in the two adidas events. How pleased are you with how well you have played so far this spring?

Matthew Hurt: I am really pleased night now, because our team is just playing really well. We have all the pieces that can make a really good team and I think that we are executing really good. Passing, rebounding and shooting. Playing as a team, so I'm really happy with how we are playing,

Gopher Hole: You are playing with guys that you knew, but hadn't really played with. Are you surprised by how well you have come together?

Matthew Hurt: Yes. We have really bonded together. Getting in the gym, twice a week and sometimes workouts on Saturdays. We really bonded together, getting chemistry for each other.

Gopher Hole: You picked up some recent interest and offers. Minnesota has offered you. What other offers have you gotten?

Matthew Hurt: I got Wisconsin, Nebraska, Xavier, Florida, Minnesota, Iowa State, Iowa and I have to call Virginia after I get in the car (they offered later Tuesday night). I have to call North Carolina later this week.

Gopher Hole: Minnesota offered and I think the feeling that a lot of people had was that they wanted Michael to have his time before they offered you. Was that the way you thought things were going to go with them?

Matthew Hurt: Me and my dad and Michael, a couple of weeks before, were talking about it and we all agreed that I can wait until he gets on campus and starts with the team until they offer me. It kind of surprised me, but it really didn't matter.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to play with him. Obviously, he would be a senior again when you would be a freshman. What would it mean to have the chance to play with him again?

Matthew Hurt: It would mean a lot to me because we have so much chemistry together, playing those two, three years together in high school, and maybe it could be one more year.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to play for the homestate school?

Matthew Hurt: It would be really cool to represent Minnesota and see the talent that Minnesota has rising up. It would be really cool.

Gopher Hole: I know that they had a disappointing season this year with some suspension and injuries, but I think that a lot of people are pointing towards next year and Michael and Amir (Coffey) and some of the transfers they have coming in. Does that get you more excited about Minnesota?

Matthew Hurt: The 2016 Class is really good. Coach Pitino did a great job recruiting. Hope that 2017 is even better. It's a bright future.

Gopher Hole: There are several players on D1 Minnesota that the Gophers have offered that are going to be seniors like McKinley Wright, Jericho Sims and Nathan Reuvers. Have you talked to them much about Minnesota or their recruitment?

Matthew Hurt: Not really. They have talked about it. "Minnesota would be really cool to play for the Gophers." It is their decision, but it would be really cool.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you are getting some big-time looks. Does that want to make you work even harder to continue hearing from other schools?

Matthew Hurt: Yes. There is always room for improvement. I just want to be the best. Get better every day. Play my heart out and just try to get the "W."

Gopher Hole: Have you heard from any colleges about going to any individual camps or going to any All-Star camps this summer? I know that you went to the adidas event last year in Chicago.

Matthew Hurt: I think that next month, I am going to go to (adidas) Nations in Miami and then I am probably going to go to the Wisconsin Elite Camp, but I haven't really heard anything yet.

Gopher Hole: What things are you really focused on to improve yourself as a player?

Matthew Hurt: Probably ball handling. You can always get better at everything, but for me, ball handling, lateral quickness and getting my shot off faster, quicker.

Gopher Hole: I know that you had a big game the other week when you had 27 points and a lot of big name coaches were there. Do you notice those coaches a little bit more now?

Matthew Hurt: Not really. I just want to play my game. I didn't really pay attention to the coaches that were there. I just wanted to play my game.

Gopher Hole: Is it kind of nice though, to know that they are there when you are playing well?

Matthew Hurt: Yes, it is really nice when you are playing well and they are there, so it was really cool.

Well, that's it guys and gals. He's "cooled" on us.

I'll show myself out.

Well, that's it guys and gals. He's "cooled" on us.

I'll show myself out.

This is the worst statement since Cruz called a "rim" a "ring".

I can't view youtube at work!!!! :horse:

cool interview chris

Top Bottom