Nice profile on former Gophers big man John Thomas

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Nothing But Nets:

“I started playing basketball late, so it was really kind of my senior year when there a rapid flurry of offers. I started getting letters from smaller schools and then I went to a few exposure camps and it took off from there. By my senior year, I had stacks of letters from places like Minnesota, Kansas, Arizona and California,” Thomas said.

When Minnesota, a team he had watched throughout his entire childhood, came calling, Thomas knew that his decision would be a quick one.

“I’m a relationship guy and it’s funny because my former assistant coach was just down here a couple of days ago and he kind of talked about how tough it was to get me. They spent a ton of time with me on unofficial visits and I was able to see the character on the coaching staff even when the other big schools started knocking on my door, I didn’t even waste time going on other visits.”

While the opportunity to play for the college in his hometown was a great one, it provided a unique set of challenges that he may not have faced had he chosen to go elsewhere for school.

Thomas has made a successful transition into his post-playing career and has found a role that perfectly pairs his love of basketball with his passion for building relationships. Now the National Manager of Training at Ultimate Hoops, Thomas gets to spend time working on both passions on a daily basis.

“Ultimate Hoops in essence is adult leagues focused on treating everyone like a professional, that’s our brand promise. It’s the largest recreational basketball league in the country and offers full statistics and media that give it a very professional feel. I’ve had tons of ups and downs throughout my life, especially when it comes to basketball and I feel that I can impart that on the people that come through our program.”

In addition to the work that he’s personally doing with Ultimate Hoops, he’s working to make the organization one that provides an option for fellow players once they choose to retire from their playing career.

“We’ve recently partnered with the NBA Retired Players Association which allows us to provide those guys with a platform since they’re retired. It’s like the gladiator putting up their shoes, they never get to hear the cheers anymore and you don’t even realize the psychological effect. We allow them to become trainers and use our centers for speaking engagements and we’re really excited about it. It allows me to never really retire and also reconnect with that group and provide them with opportunities. We have a lot of fun stuff and this journey is going to do some wonderful things and I’m fortunate to be a part of it.”

Once told that he couldn’t and shouldn’t play basketball, John Thomas is making a real difference in the lives of basketball players and everyday people, all across the country.

http://nothinbutnets.com/2016/04/27/john-thomas-helps-fellow-players-in-retirement/

Go Gophers!!

One of my all time favorites on maybe my favorite team, although the Hudson, Clark, Yates bunch might beat them out. So much fun watching his team since Bobby Jackson was worth the price of admission by himself. A friend invited me to sit on the baseline one game which was a long way from my regular seat. Could not believe how much room John Thomas and Courtney James took up when they were both in the lane.

Could to see that Thomas found a good place for his skills.

Terrible call against Kentucky in the Final Four. Not a charge.

Top Bottom