CBS: Faculty, students want Eastern Michigan to drop Division-I football

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

A new report from the faculty and students of Eastern Michigan suggest that the school drop out of Division I football and move to the Horizon League for all sports, making football an optional part of the school's athletic department.

"Culturally and geographically, EMU football will simply never succeed from an attendance and financial standpoint," faculty member Howard Bunsis told university officials on Friday, via the Detroit Free Press. "It is a losing proposition -- always has been, and always will be. We hardly raise any money for football, and our attendance is the lowest in the country. Some of you believe that we are close to succeeding, if we just throw more money at the situation. This proposition is insane.

"This has nothing to do with our performance on the field, or the quality of our coaches. Our coaches are good people and dedicated professionals. They are fighting a losing battle that cannot be won. Each and every one of you needs to reassess why you are here; if you have any sense of what is right for EMU, you will drop EMU from Division I football as soon as possible. How can you sit there and justify throwing millions of dollars away?"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-eastern-michigan-to-drop-division-i-football

Go Gophers!!

Football is expensive and not every sport is for every school.

So is Title IX.

Well if you're worried about balancing the number of mens and womens sports they could probably start something like men's volleyball, hopscotch, or something for a lot cheaper than a D1 football program.

Well if you're worried about balancing the number of mens and womens sports they could probably start something like men's volleyball, hopscotch, or something for a lot cheaper than a D1 football program.

Remember, football is the great imbalancer. There simply is no other sport that gives 85 scholarships. Title IX would be a footnote if not for football. Every other sport balances out fine.

Remember, football is the great imbalancer. There simply is no other sport that gives 85 scholarships. Title IX would be a footnote if not for football. Every other sport balances out fine.

Hopscotch is a good 90 scholarships, and that's if you're not even trying.

Apparently these people have not seen the dynasty I created with Eastern Michigan in NCAA 2008. It was something like 12 NC in 20 years. Rynerson Stadium was rocking.

Title IX is here to stay.
The EMU decision seems to be the right one for them.
What is the situation at St Cloud St? I read something a few months ago that they were cutting the athletic budget and football there was in danger.

My cousin's son just committed to EMU as a Qb....lo and behold, he's transferring to jc for next semester
and will be looking around. Terribly sad for all those kids to have so many people against them.

Too lazy to read the article. Couldn't they drop to DII? Less attendance pressure, etc.

Not sure how that worky works.

Looks like the MAC has an opening.

I doubt UND or NDSU or whichever one, has the stones to try to step up in class and fill the void.

Apparently these people have not seen the dynasty I created with Eastern Michigan in NCAA 2008. It was something like 12 NC in 20 years. Rynerson Stadium was rocking.

Haha nice, I did something similar. Viewed building a bomb dynasty at EMU as the ultimate challenge.

Sorry, but you can't move your football out of DI and play in the Horizon League. The Horizon League is DI. You'll have to play DI football either in the FBS or FCS, or drop it all-together. You can't play DII football and play DI basketball. If you are going to the Horizon, football needs to be dropped completely, or you could play non-scholarship with the Pioneer League which I guess is still Technically DI FCS.

Sorry, but you can't move your football out of DI and play in the Horizon League. The Horizon League is DI. You'll have to play DI football either in the FBS or FCS, or drop it all-together. You can't play DII football and play DI basketball. If you are going to the Horizon, football needs to be dropped completely, or you could play non-scholarship with the Pioneer League which I guess is still Technically DI FCS.

Take a look at the Patriot League football standings. They are D2 or whatever JV term is used. Most of them play true D1 basketball.

The most recent HBO Real Sports had a segment on this. Eastern Michigan may need to follow the lead of another small college that dropped football and turned the field into a garden.
Football is costly. No fans, no TV contract, no tradition all scream the program should be dropped.

They'll replace it with varsity lacrosse if they drop football...imho

Looks like the MAC has an opening.

I doubt UND or NDSU or whichever one, has the stones to try to step up in class and fill the void.

With the way we manhandled our three MAC opponents this past year, I thought you were going to suggest we take the spot ;-)

My cousin's son just committed to EMU as a Qb....lo and behold, he's transferring to jc for next semester
and will be looking around. Terribly sad for all those kids to have so many people against them.

People are not against those kids, they just don't have the money to pay for the sport. It is nothing personal.

Rynearson Stadium is 6 miles from The Big House.

You can imagine how well they compete on a Football Saturday.

Does this mean we're going after their commits?

Kamal Martin?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Rynearson Stadium is 6 miles from The Big House.

You can imagine how well they compete on a Football Saturday.

The Rose Bowl and LA Coliseum are about 14 miles apart and both draw over 70,000 per game.

Idaho is dropping to the FCS after this next season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom