Carson Wentz: "How We Play Football In North Dakota"

I like Tommy, but that's an idiotic take. If that were true, you'd have high school QBs turning down B1G offers to go to NDSU.

Wentz is a late bloomer and obviously overlooked prospect coming out of HS. It happens, at major college football level as well as FCS.

There is no doubt that a top level QB would do very well at NDSU, but it isn't that simple.
They have to overcome the stigma of playing against lower competition. A Fargo reporter, on with Reuse, said that in one game Wentz towered over the other teams starting offensive line (he was so much bigger than any of them).

All Tommy said was that Wentz reminded him of ML, both about that same size and similar styles. He said ML would have put up similar stats to Wentz last year if he had played at NDSU. Not too preposterous since their freshman QB did when he filled in for Wentz.

It wasn't that he was singling out NDSU as having a special system like Oregon. He was just comparing the situation where NDSU gets better talent, coaching, etc than most teams at their level of play. So he wasn't as impressed with Wentz because of the "system - (situation)" at NDSU. Basically, plug in any good QB in and they will win.

There is no doubt that a top level QB would do very well at NDSU, but it isn't that simple.
They have to overcome the stigma of playing against lower competition. A Fargo reporter, on with Reuse, said that in one game Wentz towered over the other teams starting offensive line (he was so much bigger than any of them).

All Tommy said was that Wentz reminded him of ML, both about that same size and similar styles. He said ML would have put up similar stats to Wentz last year if he had played at NDSU. Not too preposterous since their freshman QB did when he filled in for Wentz.

It wasn't that he was singling out NDSU as having a special system like Oregon. He was just comparing the situation where NDSU gets better talent, coaching, etc than most teams at their level of play. So he wasn't as impressed with Wentz because of the "system - (situation)" at NDSU. Basically, plug in any good QB in and they will win.

no, it is preposterous.

You can only judge him off going against defenses made up completely of guys who couldn't even get MAC offers.

Not entirely true, as he did play against Iowa St. in 2014.

in one game Wentz towered over the other teams starting offensive line (he was so much bigger than any of them)

C'mon. He's 235 lbs. There isn't a starting offensive lineman anywhere in Division I who weighs 235 lbs., let alone a starting 5 full of them.

C'mon. He's 235 lbs. There isn't a starting offensive lineman anywhere in Division I who weighs 235 lbs., let alone a starting 5 full of them.
IDk too lazy to look it up, but those guys at the service academies can't be much bigger

I have no idea if the story though, but tall and heavy are not the same thing

IDk too lazy to look it up, but those guys at the service academies can't be much bigger

Just for a representative example, I looked up Navy's starting OL for 2015: 281-295-277-275-252
Army: 265-286-295-257-250
Air Force: 270-275-288-265-240

So, one guy reasonably close and almost all being 35-60 lbs. heavier.

Carson Wentz: "How We Play Football In North Dakota"

I'm aware, but he didn't say taller.

Although true that he didn't say "taller", he did in fact say "towered over". Talk about splitting hairs.

People need to stop saying ridiculous things if they don't want to get called out on them.

Some might say quoting only part of a sentence (in parentheses) without the main portion of that same sentence that gives the quoted part context is ridiculous. Anyone doing that should be called out as well - wouldn't you agree? BOX

Some might say quoting only part of a sentence (in parentheses) without the main portion of that same sentence that gives the quoted part context is ridiculous. Anyone doing that should be called out as well - wouldn't you agree? BOX

I never said anything about the taller part. Maybe he meant to say taller, but he said bigger, and that's ridiculous. The statement is absurd regardless of context.

“I literally think if Mitch Leidner had gone to NDSU, this would be Mitch Leidner,” Tommy Olson told KFAN sports radio on the “Power Trip Morning Show”

The real question is would Carson Wentz have thrived at Nebraska or Minnesota? Seemed like nobody was talking about him until the Senior Bowl and he blew up after that week.

The real question is would Carson Wentz have thrived at Nebraska or Minnesota? Seemed like nobody was talking about him until the Senior Bowl and he blew up after that week.
He's been a projected high draft pick for a year, but the move to #1 or #2 overall was definitely more recent.

Knowing what we know now about Wentz it seems pretty obvious that any college coach would be happy to have him and he'd thrive anywhere, but if they didn't know what they had in Carson, they could have overlooked him.

He's been a projected high draft pick for a year, but the move to #1 or #2 overall was definitely more recent.

Knowing what we know now about Wentz it seems pretty obvious that any college coach would be happy to have him and he'd thrive anywhere, but if they didn't know what they had in Carson, they could have overlooked him.
That's my theory on it. Here he would've competed with Mitch and Nelson, although I fell ill and co always did a good job putting the best player in the field. Nebraska it would've been interesting to see him compete with Armstrong. Who knows, Matt Cassell never started in college, Tom Brady at best was sharing snaps with Drew Henson, he turned out okay. Wentz only started for two years correct?

That's my theory on it. Here he would've competed with Mitch and Nelson, although I fell ill and co always did a good job putting the best player in the field. Nebraska it would've been interesting to see him compete with Armstrong. Who knows, Matt Cassell never started in college, Tom Brady at best was sharing snaps with Drew Henson, he turned out okay. Wentz only started for two years correct?
Started for 2 years, 23 games. It's a little odd for a QB. You spend your whole life competing for playing time in High School and College hoping that your coach likes you, then all of a sudden you're in the NFL and you get picked by a team who gave up so much for you that they've got to play you for at least a few years (see C. Ponder).

Started for 2 years, 23 games. It's a little odd for a QB. You spend your whole life competing for playing time in High School and College hoping that your coach likes you, then all of a sudden you're in the NFL and you get picked by a team who gave up so much for you that they've got to play you for at least a few years (see C. Ponder).

Hope the coach likes you? The coaches loved him, raved about him constantly. The guy ahead of him and team went 14-1, 14-1, and 15-0 in Wentz's RS, FR, and SO seasons with each season ending in a W. It doesn't matter who you are, a coach isn't going to replace a veteran who led the team to those results. Every fan knew there was something special with Wentz, and we knew he was going to need to be patient and wait his turn. Most guys wouldn't sit and wait, but he was committed to the team.

ML Comparisons are preposterous at this point, but I hope he gets there. He needs to get full responsibility for the offense, and he needs get to work.

Hope the coach likes you? The coaches loved him, raved about him constantly. The guy ahead of him and team went 14-1, 14-1, and 15-0 in Wentz's RS, FR, and SO seasons with each season ending in a W. It doesn't matter who you are, a coach isn't going to replace a veteran who led the team to those results. Every fan knew there was something special with Wentz, and we knew he was going to need to be patient and wait his turn. Most guys wouldn't sit and wait, but he was committed to the team.

ML Comparisons are preposterous at this point, but I hope he gets there. He needs to get full responsibility for the offense, and he needs get to work.

Thanks for stopping by. There is a slim chance some internet meanies will wish ill upon you but do not take it personally.

That's all true, but it's college football with a new head coach and possible hotshot recruits and transfers coming in. Nothing was guaranteed for Carson at NDSU or whatever hypothetical FBS school he went to. College rosters are literally twice as big, they have less invested in individual players. It's a tough road to the top 10 in the draft.

Top Bottom