Carson Wentz: "How We Play Football In North Dakota"

Considering we've never had a first round QB drafted in the history of our program, the fact that the Bison will have a top QB drafted is amazing. Good for them.

Don't they play in a dome and have indoor practice facilities?

Tommie Olson on KFAN this morning said he is the QB of a great NDSU system and didn't have a great SR year. Same measurables as Mitch Leidner and Mitch almost went to NDSU to compete for the job. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

I feel bad saying this and don't usually wish bad on athletes but I hope he is an epic bust. Especially now that teams have traded up to possibly get him.

The dude knows how to win and says all the right things. Can't wish ill upon him by any stretch, but I just don't know if I see a potential all pro QB which is what you would assumedly want if you are drafting him at 1 or 2 overall. Wentz got to come out at exactly the right time. On paper the QB class is horrendous (hence the reason why 2 years ago no one even knew his name and was all over guys like Hackenburg) and the QB free agents/options are terrible and Wentz is massively benefiting from it. Were the league not so QB starved there is no chance hes going in the early first round and maybe not the first round at all. He may work out but I wouldn't be looking at him as my future franchise QB, and that has nothing to do with where he played college ball. To me, he reminds me of Alex Smith or a more athletic version of Flacco. He can win some games, but he's not going to do it for you by himself and he's not going to do it winging the ball 40 times a game. Just my .02

The dude knows how to win and says all the right things. Can't wish ill upon him by any stretch, but I just don't know if I see a potential all pro QB which is what you would assumedly want if you are drafting him at 1 or 2 overall. Wentz got to come out at exactly the right time. On paper the QB class is horrendous (hence the reason why 2 years ago no one even knew his name and was all over guys like Hackenburg) and the QB free agents/options are terrible and Wentz is massively benefiting from it. Were the league not so QB starved there is no chance hes going in the early first round and maybe not the first round at all. He may work out but I wouldn't be looking at him as my future franchise QB, and that has nothing to do with where he played college ball. To me, he reminds me of Alex Smith or a more athletic version of Flacco. He can win some games, but he's not going to do it for you by himself and he's not going to do it winging the ball 40 times a game. Just my .02

Not to hijack (and haven't seen enough of Wentz to pass judgment on his chances at the next level), but if Hackenburg can get back to the way he was playing as a freshman, someone is going to get a pretty good QB.

I have nothing against Wentz, but I've been telling co-workers for quite some time that I don't get all the hype over Wentz. When he went down this year and the back up played, the Bison didn't miss a beat. His stats are nothing special. I don;t see much difference between his stats and the backup's stats. I hope I'm wrong, just seems like a product of the system.

Wentz = 17TD / 4 INT 1651yds (7.9yds/att)

backup
Easton Stick = 13TD / 4INT 1144yds (7.8yds/att)

Not to hijack (and haven't seen enough of Wentz to pass judgment on his chances at the next level), but if Hackenburg can get back to the way he was playing as a freshman, someone is going to get a pretty good QB.

Would tend to agree. Depends on if PSU ruined him with that porous OL. Seemed to get really gun shy over his career and get happy feet in the pocket when I watched him. And that's something hard to fix.

Would tend to agree. Depends on if PSU ruined him with that porous OL. Seemed to get really gun shy over his career and get happy feet in the pocket when I watched him. And that's something hard to fix.

I'll take a different spin. When a freshman over-achieves, it's generally because he doesn't know any better. By the time he becomes a Senior, he is who he is. Hackeburg wasn't ruined, he became Hackenburg.

I'll take a different spin. When a freshman over-achieves, it's generally because he doesn't know any better. By the time he becomes a Senior, he is who he is. Hackeburg wasn't ruined, he became Hackenburg.

I am totally on board with this.

Like almost any college QB, it depends on what team he goes to and what system they play. I could argue that Teddy Bridgewater has always been a shotgun QB, and the Vikings have him taking snaps under center in order to accommodate Adrian Peterson.

Put Wentz with the right team and the right system, and he can be an effective NFL QB. Put Wentz with the wrong team and the wrong system, and he won't look that great. I say, if you're going to draft a QB #1, you'd better be ready to change your schemes to match the QB's strengths. If you try to put a square peg in a round hole, you wind up with Johnny Manziel.

I think Wentz will be a big bust. Have seen a lot of NDSU games over his career. He is a good player, but never did I think, "Wow, he will play in the NFL". And if you are playing in FCS, you better really impress. He has always had a very good offensive line. He is also going up against short d-lines. Slow linebackers. And has always had an advantage just because of his size. That will no longer be the case. There are no cases of "Look how he did against Alabama's D or against the speed of LSU, or the great D of Michigan State". You can only judge him off going against defenses made up completely of guys who couldn't even get MAC offers.

Don't they play in a dome and have indoor practice facilities?

Tommie Olson on KFAN this morning said he is the QB of a great NDSU system and didn't have a great SR year. Same measurables as Mitch Leidner and Mitch almost went to NDSU to compete for the job. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Seeing both QBs play, they're almost a spit image of each other, and if Carson Wentz is better, he's a smidge better...
I'm not saying ML7 (yeah i did it) is a first rounder, or second, or even third....but it shows the weakness of the QB class
this year. It's basically two guys , Wentz and Goff and there are a lot of teams in need of a QB.

per the In-Forum:

A former Minnesota Gophers football player told a Twin Cities radio station that Carson Wentz’s draft potential is a product of North Dakota State’s system and that if current U of M quarterback Mitch Leidner had chosen to attend NDSU, Leidner would be in the discussion as the No. 1 or No. 2 pick in this week’s NFL Draft.

“I literally think if Mitch Leidner had gone to NDSU, this would be Mitch Leidner,” Tommy Olson told KFAN sports radio on the “Power Trip Morning Show” Tuesday.

Olson was a center for the Gophers whose career ended after the 2014 season. He was an all-Big Ten honorable mention selection his senior year.

Pressed by the show’s hosts to explain his opinion, Olson said Leidner was close to attending NDSU and would’ve competed with Wentz for a starting job.

“And if you look at his numbers, they are not that good for his senior year,” Olson said of Wentz. “He lost two games, I’m pretty sure.”

http://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2016/...-product-of-ndsu-system-leidner-his-qb-equal/

Go Gophers!!

True story, Carson Wentz wanted to be a Gopher, and would have been had Brewster offered him.

Source, his uncle.

The "system" at NDSU held him back, reduced his numbers, was focused on team success, and ran the ball and ran the ball. When he actually went to senior bowl, combine, pro days standing along Pac12, B1G, SEC B12, ACC QBs, he blew them away. The system at NDSU didnt make him, it held him back.

Hey, I love the NDSU system . . . but it didn't make Carson Wentz. Are you kidding? You are correct in that NDSU will continue to kick ass when Carson is gone, that's the system. Ndsu will never have a QB in the Payton award, because they don't throw the ball enough. The system is defense and a prodding running game with a focus on TOP. That system doesn't sling it around too much.

A classic system guy would be a Joel Stave, a Conner Cook . . . driving the car with their foot on the brakes. hand it off, throw a screen pass here, don't mess it up guys. You get them out of their system and their comfort level is gone. That aint Carson Wentz.

Tommie is right that the system at Ndsu wins. But that system is not why draft experts are high on Wentz as an nfl prospect. I think that Wentz could excel in LA with a strong running game and a west coast passing attack. Philly is not as good of a fit imo.

The "system" at NDSU held him back, reduced his numbers, was focused on team success, and ran the ball and ran the ball. When he actually went to senior bowl, combine, pro days standing along Pac12, B1G, SEC B12, ACC QBs, he blew them away. The system at NDSU didnt make him, it held him back.

Hey, I love the NDSU system . . . but it didn't make Carson Wentz. Are you kidding? You are correct in that NDSU will continue to kick ass when Carson is gone, that's the system. Ndsu will never have a QB in the Payton award, because they don't throw the ball enough. The system is defense and a prodding running game with a focus on TOP. That system doesn't sling it around too much.

A classic system guy would be a Joel Stave, a Conner Cook . . . driving the car with their foot on the brakes. hand it off, throw a screen pass here, don't mess it up guys. You get them out of their system and their comfort level is gone. That aint Carson Wentz.

Tommie is right that the system at Ndsu wins. But that system is not why draft experts are high on Wentz as an nfl prospect.

Nailed it. I would also add that he was injured the majority of the season, and his draft stock still somehow went up...how was the system making him look good, when he wasnt even playing? Senior Bowl, combine, the minimal tape on him...these are the things that rocketed him to potential #1 pick.

Tommie is right that the system at Ndsu wins. But that system is not why draft experts are high on Wentz as an nfl prospect. I think that Wentz could excel in LA with a strong running game and a west coast passing attack. Philly is not as good of a fit imo.

I wouldn't consider Conner Cook a system guy. If you think Conner Cook is, Carson Wentz most certainly is a system QB then.

I wouldn't consider Conner Cook a system guy. If you think Conner Cook is, Carson Wentz most certainly is a system QB then.

There are two kinds of systems guys.

1) guys that aren't capable of much and cant function unless they are in a very conservative offense. You tell them to hand it off or make short passes, and don't screw it up. That's the conservative system guys. (Cook fits here, but Stave is a better fit). If you throw a wide open passing game at Stave, he can't handle it very well. Limited confidence and downfield throwing ability. Low ceiling guys.

2) then there are the system guys that throw for boatloads of yards in a wide open spread passing attach that throws it 60 times a game. Their numbers are great with lots of RAC, but they are not calling plays or understanding and reading defenses. They throw quick hitters all day and have good numbers, but might not be effective in a standard downfield passing game where they have to make actual reads and go through progressions. These guys are weeded out in the nfl. Limited football acumen and ability to effectively go through passing progressions. This is where some put paxton lynch and some suggest he has a lot of work to do to be able to make reads on the nfl.

A more athletic version of Joe Flacco would definitely be an all pro.

A more athletic version of Joe Flacco would definitely be an all pro.

I would disagree. Playoff for one season Joe Flacco yes. Typical Flacco, no. He has decent seasons every 2 to 3 years or so (best 25 TDs v 10 Ints). Also for note. Only two QBs are named all pro each year if we're counting second team. Flacco is not that guy, even if he is more athletic. But this is a matter of my assessment of Flacco's ability, of which we are entitled to differing opinions

I agree, Hackenburg is the sleeper in the draft. Watch the Gruden QB camp episode on Hackenburg. His freshman year, under the direction of the NE OC he light it up, calling audibles like Brady, etc... Next year the coach leaves, they change the offense, a real mess. Gruden asked him why he changed his back foot and steps in the second year. He said the coaches told him to change and it felt awkward. Gruden said it caused him to not get a proper setup for throwing. Hackenburg changed his foot back during the last bowl game and the coaches didn't catch it. Gruden also taught him to call line protection audibles at the line so he would take fewer hits. Funny that his ND coaches never did that. I think his freshman year is more representative of his ability.

per the In-Forum: A former Minnesota Gophers football player told a Twin Cities radio station that Carson Wentz’s draft potential is a product of North Dakota State’s system and that if current U of M quarterback Mitch Leidner had chosen to attend NDSU, Leidner would be in the discussion as the No. 1 or No. 2 pick in this week’s NFL Draft. “I literally think if Mitch Leidner had gone to NDSU, this would be Mitch Leidner,” Tommy Olson told KFAN sports radio on the “Power Trip Morning Show” Tuesday. Olson was a center for the Gophers whose career ended after the 2014 season. He was an all-Big Ten honorable mention selection his senior year. Pressed by the show’s hosts to explain his opinion, Olson said Leidner was close to attending NDSU and would’ve competed with Wentz for a starting job. “And if you look at his numbers, they are not that good for his senior year,” Olson said of Wentz. “He lost two games, I’m pretty sure.” http://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2016/04/26/former-gophers-player-wentz-is-just-a-product-of-ndsu-system-leidner-his-qb-equal/ Go Gophers!!

I like Tommy, but that's an idiotic take. If that were true, you'd have high school QBs turning down B1G offers to go to NDSU.

Wentz is a late bloomer and obviously overlooked prospect coming out of HS. It happens, at major college football level as well as FCS.

Top Bottom