North Carolina receives new Notice of Allegations

So you're telling me that there were no men's BB or FB players ever enrolled in the sham classes? Because if there were, they should get hammered. Could UNC stay in the conference or NCAA if the Higher Learning Commission took their accreditation away?

Many FB players have admitted to taking these classes too.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article76836992.html

UNC Women's basketball coach, Sylvia Hatchell, speaks to the Charlotte Observer. My favorite note: it's unclear whether she hired a lawyer to protect her from UNC or the NCAA.

There’s no allegations against women’s basketball, the coaching staff or anything with recruiting, eligibility or anything like that,” said Hatchell, a member of the Naismith Hall of Fame who recently completed her 30th season at UNC. “This is an academic issue.

“And because there are no allegations against the women’s basketball program, how can you have penalties if there no allegations against the program? And so I just believe the NCAA and the administration will do the right thing here.”

Protecting the program

Hatchell isn’t entirely confident that will happen, though, and that’s part of the reason why she has hired Wade Smith, a prominent Raleigh attorney, to represent her amid the ongoing NCAA investigation. Hatchell retained Smith nearly a year ago, she said, after UNC received the original NOA.

Hatchell hired Smith, she said, because she “wanted to make sure that women’s basketball was protected.”

Whether she wanted to protect her program from UNC or from the NCAA, Hatchell didn’t say.

“I just think in general,” she said. “Because I don’t know that much about legal things. But I just felt like I needed someone to represent. Because I want to put all my time and focus on coaching the players and being the basketball coach at the University of North Carolina.”

It’s unclear, too, how long she’ll serve in that capacity. Hatchell’s contract is to expire in two years, and there hasn’t been any indication she’ll receive the kind of extension Williams received last summer.

Thanks Roy:

Williams said Tuesday he has spoken “a little” with Hatchell about her situation.

“But not a lot,” he said. “I mean, when you see somebody else going through the same sorrow, you don’t want to sit down and talk about it and say, ‘Woe is me.’ "

Then there's this foof:

Meanwhile, athletics director Bubba Cunningham is attempting to lead UNC’s response to the NOA, which is in due in July. Cunningham is aware, as seemingly everyone is, of the perception that surrounds women’s basketball – that it’s being sacrificed.

Yet he said that perception doesn’t reflect reality.

“I can understand why people feel that way,” he said. “But I think when you really study it and look at it, that’s a feeling – not a fact. And at this point, we’re trying to deal with facts.”

Top Bottom