3 former Gopher football players gave Gov Dayton an "earful" about lengthy AD search

Back to original post:

a lot of people like to rag on Kaler, but there is more to the U of M than sports. Kaler has different constituencies that he has to deal with. That's why the search committee had a cross-section of people from sports and business to the academia. He is in the unenviable position of trying to keep everybody happy.

Now, I'm NOT saying Kaler is a great Prexy, and I'm NOT saying he hasn't mishandled other situations. But, as far as the membership on the search committee, I can't complain about that.
If the Ex-Gopher Jock crowd is butt-hurt because they didn't get to run the entire process, my response is "Waaaaaaaaaaah."

You are so far off base on this it's not even funny. "There is more to the U of M than sports"??? Really? I sure hope so, because most of the revenue sports over there haven't been in the race for a BIG 10 championship for about 3 generations, so let's hope there is more to the U than sports. Did you even GET the part where the Governor offered the Governor's mansion to host Gopher recruiting events and got NO REPLY? That says it all. Kaler is not only turning a deaf ear on Gopher M Men & Women, as well as alumni, boosters and now the Governor. His ego doesn't allow him to accept any criticism, or help, from any one who cares. To say that these guys are butt-hurt and whining because they actually care so much about the sports programs at the U, that they would voice their concerns, or try to offer their help, is WAY off point.

Personally, I would like to see The Crusher, Baron Von Raschke & Mad Dog Vachon in there.

I miss the the old "pro" wrestling before WWF!

Road Warriors would have settled this...

14 people on the committee.

6 are former Gopher athletes
3 are football players/1 current
1 Gopher coach
4 CEO's who I presume know something about selling
President of U.S. Retail (I think "Retail" means selling something
2 of the people have a history with the Twins and Vikings who I think sell things
2 Faculty who hold posts dealing with compliance and NCAA

Bitch about the time or the number of people, but at least get at few facts right. The thing can't be run by just football people. There are too many constituents; nor should it be.

Well played.

You are so far off base on this it's not even funny. "There is more to the U of M than sports"??? Really? I sure hope so, because most of the revenue sports over there haven't been in the race for a BIG 10 championship for about 3 generations, so let's hope there is more to the U than sports. Did you even GET the part where the Governor offered the Governor's mansion to host Gopher recruiting events and got NO REPLY? That says it all. Kaler is not only turning a deaf ear on Gopher M Men & Women, as well as alumni, boosters and now the Governor. His ego doesn't allow him to accept any criticism, or help, from any one who cares. To say that these guys are butt-hurt and whining because they actually care so much about the sports programs at the U, that they would voice their concerns, or try to offer their help, is WAY off point.

Huh?

Kaler got a pass on hiring the last AD. Which was a catastrophe.
He wants as many layers as possible between him and this decision.

Bingo. The last thing we want is Dayton involved in "helping", Dayton has no sense for doing profitable business.

I sure hope so, because most of the revenue sports over there haven't been in the race for a BIG 10 championship for about 3 generations

Aside from Football playing for the Big Ten division title on the final day of the regular season in 2014 and men's hockey having won two straight Big Ten championships....

the Governor offered the Governor's mansion to host Gopher recruiting events and got NO REPLY? That says it all.

REPORTER: "Why did you choose Minnesota to play football?"

5-STAR RECRUIT: "Because I got to go here hang out at a party here on my recruiting visit":

20080820_governorsmansion_33.jpg

(There's probably a reason they didn't take the Gov up on the offer to host recruiting events. Now, that said, if the target is right, it wouldn't be a bad spot to host some fundraising events with donors. But, recruits? Nah.)

Attachments

• 250px-GovMansionMNwinter.jpg
    250px-GovMansionMNwinter.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 20

I don't think people understand how budgeting works in an athletic department. There is no incentive to turn a profit, and no one at the school level is trying to. The incentive is too spend all the money. Being in the black means you cannot ask for money in the future.

If you think I am wrong, then you don't understand college sports. Surpluses get spent on capital costs, bigger contracts and facilities, or other things as one time or ongoing expenses.

per Shama:

Jim Carter thought it was an idea going nowhere. Carter’s friend Jim Brunzell told him a few weeks ago he requested a meeting with Governor Mark Dayton to talk about University of Minnesota athletics.

Not only did the Governor’s office respond but a lunch meeting was scheduled with Brunzell, Carter and Alvin Ray Hawes. Last Friday the three U alums met with Dayton at the Governor’s residence in St. Paul. Shannon Patrick, Dayton’s senior policy advisor for higher education, was also there.

Brunzell, Carter and Hawes played football together at Minnesota in the late 1960s. They and many other Gophers boosters have been concerned for some time about the school’s leadership in athletics, and the performances and reputations of football, and men’s basketball and hockey—the highest profile sports at the University and major producers of revenues contributing to a $100 million annual budget supporting 25 men’s and women’s sports.

Carter came to the meeting with a list of facts and concerns including how long it’s taking to find a permanent athletic director, how fundraising is stalled on the $190 million Athletes Village project, the missed opportunity to place former football coach Jerry Kill in a high level position within the Athletic Department, how department monies have been used inefficiently, and how the revenues, culture and image of the department could be much better.

“We just wanted the Governor to know how frustrated we are,” Carter said of the meeting. “How frustrated we’ve been with the lack of pursuit of excellence in athletics at the University. With the long time—almost a year now—to put an athletic director in place. What we see with continuing issues in the Athletic Department that make us wonder where the tradition of the Golden Gophers has gone. We shared that with the Governor.

“It was very positive (the discussion), not mudslinging. We talked with him…and discovered he’s got the same love for Golden Gophers football, hockey, basketball, and many of the sports that we all do.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

But it is the goal of the athletic dept. to turn a profit so it doesn't have to either a) get subsidies from the state or the General U fund, or b) cut non-profitable sports.

They want to bring in as much money as they can, but they're also tasked with operating sports at a deficit.... just from the get go. That's not the same as a business at all.

Classic burying the lead. Was Carter wearing a scarf at this meeting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aside from Football playing for the Big Ten division title on the final day of the regular season in 2014 and men's hockey having won two straight Big Ten championships....

Well, if we're going to pompously nitpick he did say "most" revenue sports and the Big Ten title isn't the same as the West title, I don't believe.

But it is the goal of the athletic dept. to turn a profit so it doesn't have to either a) get subsidies from the state or the General U fund, or b) cut non-profitable sports.
Athletic department budget has been net zero for years. They haven't turned a profit in a long time.

Some will always side with the leadership or institution no matter what. Criticism of Kaler or Goetz equates to criticism of the institution, state, the team, themselves. Kaler has made a series of questionable decisions IMO and the effort put into the last hire was lackadaisical, at best. He spurned Kill; has spurned some connected boosters, and rumor has it favors a greenhorn AD to go along with our novice basketball coach. Not the direction I would go. "Hope for the best" seems to be a theme. Some people get pretty tired of piss-poor leadership and want their views aired. They want someone with a track record of success and someone that can fortify the engine of the whole operation, the revenue sports, while diplomatically and competently handling the others.

We deleted a number of posts that were politically focused, and will delete any more in this thread that are political as well. If you want to discuss the performance of Governor Dayton, we encourage you to start a new thread on the Off-Topic board.

Thank you.

You truly don't get it

14 people on the committee.

6 are former Gopher athletes
3 are football players/1 current
1 Gopher coach
4 CEO's who I presume know something about selling
President of U.S. Retail (I think "Retail" means selling something
2 of the people have a history with the Twins and Vikings who I think sell things
2 Faculty who hold posts dealing with compliance and NCAA

Bitch about the time or the number of people, but at least get at few facts right. The thing can't be run by just football people. There are too many constituents; nor should it be.

The 3 people who represent football on the committee are all supervised by the UofM and or Beth...effectively their boss. How much of a voice do you think they will express in opposition to her or in advocacy for another candidate. Now tell me football is represented. Basketball, not at all.
Selling retail has nothing to do with fundraising. It has nothing to do with nurturing and building a relationship. (yes, you can argue retail does, but most people buy on price or convenience in 2016.) If our merchandising of season tickets or game promotions is being mentored by these people I'm not impressed. Selling is not just selling...different kinds require different skills. Kevin Warren may work for the Vikings but he does not sell anything etc etc I don't care to get into making a list who would be better people on the committee but there are many
I don't know some of these people on the committee, but I do know several and the only two people who jump out at me as logical choices are McCutcheon and Vannelli.
You can pre determine the results by who you put on the committee. If Beth is the person you want for the job, just hire her.

The 3 people who represent football on the committee are all supervised by the UofM and or Beth...effectively their boss. How much of a voice do you think they will express in opposition to her or in advocacy for another candidate.

You can pre determine the results by who you put on the committee. If Beth is the person you want for the job, just hire her.

Yeah, everyone loves their boss!

Well, if we're going to pompously nitpick he did say "most" revenue sports and the Big Ten title isn't the same as the West title, I don't believe. Reading for comprehension.

Well, if we want to discuss the original comments, he did say "not in the running for B1G championship for 3 generations". Technically, the West title is a finalist for the B1G football championship. So you can equate your comments to saying that a Final Four BB team was never in the running for the championship.

Well, if we want to discuss the original comments, he did say "not in the running for B1G championship for 3 generations". Technically, the West title is a finalist for the B1G football championship. So you can equate your comments to saying that a Final Four BB team was never in the running for the championship.

Maybe the Big Ten can go to 3 or 4 team divisions so everyone can be a champion someday. If you're equating the west title to the Final Four I guess I will disagree they are equal in any way.

Ok, so the Gophers haven't won a B1G title in Football or hoops for a long time. Let's see, who can we blame for this.........the Administration. It's their fault. The administration told Jim Wacker "don't play defense." The administration told Glen Mason to blow those 4th-quarter leads. The administration told Tim Brewster to change his coordinators every year. The administration told the top HS players in MN to go to Notre Dame, or Pitt, or Ohio State.

OK - I'm being sarcastic. Just trying to point out that people want to latch onto one reason for the lack of success at the U, when in reality, it's a combination of factors. Could the administration be more supportive? Yes. But, in the end, coaches recruit and coach, and players play. the simple fact is other teams in the B1G have done a better job than the U when it comes to hiring coaches, recruiting, coaching, and playing the game. Changing the U President is not going to fix all of the issues at the U - it may help, but it's not going to be the magic bullet that changes everything.

And, the President does not have ultimate power at the U. The president is answerable to the Board of Regents......................hey, that's it......................it's the Board of Regent's Fault...................Yeah, that's it.

If you're equating the west title to the Final Four I guess I will disagree they are equal in any way.

That's not what a2u wrote, and you know it.

The Gophers were essentially in the "Final 4" of the Big Ten race, and controlled their own destiny. They had a chance to win that game and go to the conference championship. That is a similar position as a team that reaches the "Final 4" of basketball. The accomplishment was not being compared.

He was quoting a previous poster who wrote "not in the running for B1G championship for 3 generations". He was (rightfully) arguing that it is demonstrable that they were indeed "in the running" by virtue of being in the "Final 4".

The 3 people who represent football on the committee are all supervised by the UofM and or Beth...effectively their boss. How much of a voice do you think they will express in opposition to her or in advocacy for another candidate. Now tell me football is represented. Basketball, not at all.
Selling retail has nothing to do with fundraising. It has nothing to do with nurturing and building a relationship. (yes, you can argue retail does, but most people buy on price or convenience in 2016.) If our merchandising of season tickets or game promotions is being mentored by these people I'm not impressed. Selling is not just selling...different kinds require different skills. Kevin Warren may work for the Vikings but he does not sell anything etc etc I don't care to get into making a list who would be better people on the committee but there are many
I don't know some of these people on the committee, but I do know several and the only two people who jump out at me as logical choices are McCutcheon and Vannelli.

Okay, "Duh, football is represented."

Also, come on now. Somebody with your expertise and insight who loves the U so much "doesn't care" to make a list that obviously would be superior to anything those dumb *sses at the U could come up with? You've almost snuffed out the last bit of hope for me.

Well, if we're going to pompously nitpick he did say "most" revenue sports and the Big Ten title isn't the same as the West title, I don't believe.

Still trying to figure out what "most" means. Men's hockey is revenue. Volleyball would be revenue and just won the Big Ten. Football being 30 minutes away from Indy seems to be "in the running" to me. Sure seemed most on this board agreed that day in the game thread.

Baseball and softball don't seem revenue, but they're either in 1st or 2nd place. Womens hoops finished 2nd twice in the last 15 years.

Is "most" men's hoops?

Back to the op, why listen to these three? Didn't they help usher in the 40 year + slide? Thanks guys!

Not sure why you'd say that but..

Back to the op, why listen to these three? Didn't they help usher in the 40 year + slide? Thanks guys!

The Gophers did win the Big Ten title in 1967 with 6-1 conference record.
In 1968 they were 5 and 2 in the conference.
In 1969 they won their last four conference games of the season and finished 4 and 3 in the conference. While, I guess you could argue the trend is down, they did have conference winning records.

Carter, Hawes and Brunzell have been pretty successful after leaving the U of M...maybe that might be a reason to hear what they have to say? Carter and Hawes were All Big Ten.
Hawes has championed equal rights for others throughout his career and Brunzell and Carter excelled in professional sports. Maybe they might offer some perspective what could be improved?
But certainly not if you don't listen to them. If you come with an agenda and if you come with a closed mind, you are correct..."why listen to these three?"

Top Bottom