3 former Gopher football players gave Gov Dayton an "earful" about lengthy AD search

BleedGopher

Reaction score
3 former Gopher football players gave Gov Dayton an "earful" about lengthy AD search

per Shooter:

Those were former Gophers football players Ray Hawes, Jim Carter and Jim Brunzell meeting with Mark Dayton at the Governor’s Residence the other day to express their frustration with the University of Minnesota’s lengthy search for an athletics director. Gov. Dayton got an earful.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/04/2...tom-thibodeau-wants-to-bring-back-good-years/

Go Gophers!!

A. Really shocked Jim Careter was involved here.

B. Why get Dayton involved in this. He has other things to worry about - like game start times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like if Prez Kaler, the BOR, the search committee, meddling by alumni football players isn't already enough, now we need the governor to step in. Something is really screwed up here. We've got too many irons in the fire.

Are we going to scare away a few potential candidates?

B. Why get Dayton involved in this. He has other things to worry about - like game start times.

There's a Bozo alright. His name is Eric Kaler.

With all the medical know-how they have at the U, one thing they can't do is figure out how to grow a new spine.

Let's hope the process results in a home run hire.

Lol. If there's anyone here who would think that the most successful governor we've had in a generation is a bozo, I would have guessed it was Spoofin.

Maybe if Brunzell would have worn his Killer Bees mask, the conversation would have gone somewhere.

B. Why get that bozo Dayton involved in this. He has other things to worry about - like game start times.

Maybe if Brunzell would have worn his Killer Bees mask, the conversation would have gone somewhere.

He should have brought Brian Blair with him, and then Dayton could have brought the Iron Sheik in to cut a promo, setting up a steel cage match on Monday Night Raw next week.

There has to be a very successful AD's son with a famous last name out there. What else do you need?

God, you can't make some of this sh*t up. Don't know who's most pathetic--Carter with his campaign or the media guys who must be really hard up for something to write about.

Mostly, I'm upset this board went straight to the Killer Bees instead of referencing the High Flyers from the old AWA days. Verne Gagne's son Greg as the tag team partner? Pure gold! I miss All Star Wrestling on Sunday Mornings!

Kaler got a pass on hiring the last AD. Which was a catastrophe.
He wants as many layers as possible between him and this decision.

Best since.... Dear God.

No matter how you feel about Dayton, it is hard to come up with a logical reason he should be involved in the AD hire process. Being a fan and going to games sure isn't one.

Maybe you need a simpler clarification. They went to him because he is a big Gopher fan and because Kaler has turned a deaf ear to former football alumni

Maybe you need a simpler clarification. They went to him because he is a big Gopher fan and because Kaler has turned a deaf ear to former football alumni

OK. I'll bite. You don't think they went to Dayton asking him to involve himself? You think it was just a chat like friends do at a bar?

OK. I'll bite. You don't think they went to Dayton asking him to involve himself? You think it was just a chat like friends do at a bar?

I think that is exactly the implication and no one has said otherwise.

Do we even know for sure if this is true or is it because he isn't including these guys in particular in the situation?

I think that is exactly the implication and no one has said otherwise.

Ok. We all agree. Now, does anyone think there is a logical reason the Governor should be involved in the AD search? That was my original point that was challenged / "simplified" for me.

I'm pretty sure the Governor didn't invite these yahoo's in to meet with him. This isn't a Dayton issue.

He should have brought Brian Blair with him, and then Dayton could have brought the Iron Sheik in to cut a promo, setting up a steel cage match on Monday Night Raw next week.

Personally, I would like to see The Crusher, Baron Von Raschke & Mad Dog Vachon in there.

I miss the the old "pro" wrestling before WWF!

Back to original post:

a lot of people like to rag on Kaler, but there is more to the U of M than sports. Kaler has different constituencies that he has to deal with. That's why the search committee had a cross-section of people from sports and business to the academia. He is in the unenviable position of trying to keep everybody happy.

Now, I'm NOT saying Kaler is a great Prexy, and I'm NOT saying he hasn't mishandled other situations. But, as far as the membership on the search committee, I can't complain about that.
If the Ex-Gopher Jock crowd is butt-hurt because they didn't get to run the entire process, my response is "Waaaaaaaaaaah."

I Don't Agree

Back to original post:

a lot of people like to rag on Kaler, but there is more to the U of M than sports. Kaler has different constituencies that he has to deal with. That's why the search committee had a cross-section of people from sports and business to the academia. He is in the unenviable position of trying to keep everybody happy.

Now, I'm NOT saying Kaler is a great Prexy, and I'm NOT saying he hasn't mishandled other situations. But, as far as the membership on the search committee, I can't complain about that.
If the Ex-Gopher Jock crowd is butt-hurt because they didn't get to run the entire process, my response is "Waaaaaaaaaaah."

The job you are hiring for is athletics director. Sports is barely represented on this committee. The few sports people on the committee are not the type of people with personalities who are going to be heard. We have athletes who have gone on to have success in business and are also passionate about Gopher football. Football drives or funds all the other sports and the only football voice is Darrell Thompson and a student?? And you "can't complain about that"?
We need someone with some insight which candidate might be successful raising money. How many people on the committee sell anything? It's a "mishandled situation"!

We deleted a number of posts that were politically focused, and will delete any more in this thread that are political as well. If you want to discuss the performance of Governor Dayton, we encourage you to start a new thread on the Off-Topic board.

I'm not sure anyone of those people, including the Govenor, getting involved would help.

Also I'm not sure we'd win more football games if we had a permanent AD the next day after MEGATOUNGE or two months or ... now.

The job you are hiring for is athletics director. Sports is barely represented on this committee. The few sports people on the committee are not the type of people with personalities who are going to be heard. We have athletes who have gone on to have success in business and are also passionate about Gopher football. Football drives or funds all the other sports and the only football voice is Darrell Thompson and a student?? And you "can't complain about that"?
We need someone with some insight which candidate might be successful raising money. How many people on the committee sell anything? It's a "mishandled situation"!

14 people on the committee.

6 are former Gopher athletes
3 are football players/1 current
1 Gopher coach
4 CEO's who I presume know something about selling
President of U.S. Retail (I think "Retail" means selling something
2 of the people have a history with the Twins and Vikings who I think sell things
2 Faculty who hold posts dealing with compliance and NCAA

Bitch about the time or the number of people, but at least get at few facts right. The thing can't be run by just football people. There are too many constituents; nor should it be.

We deleted a number of posts that were politically focused, and will delete any more in this thread that are political as well. If you want to discuss the performance of Governor Dayton, we encourage you to start a new thread on the Off-Topic board.

:clap::clap:

14 people on the committee.

6 are former Gopher athletes
3 are football players/1 current
1 Gopher coach
4 CEO's who I presume know something about selling
President of U.S. Retail (I think "Retail" means selling something
2 of the people have a history with the Twins and Vikings who I think sell things
2 Faculty who hold posts dealing with compliance and NCAA

Bitch about the time or the number of people, but at least get at few facts right. The thing can't be run by just football people. There are too many constituents; nor should it be.

++ thanks for issuing my rebuttal for me. took the words right out of my mouth.

Top Bottom