From Dinkytown to Tel Aviv: In-Depth Interview From Israel with Trevor & Jenny Mbakwe

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
From Dinkytown to Tel Aviv: In-Depth Interview From Israel with Trevor & Jenny Mbakwe

From Dinkytown to Tel Aviv – In-Depth Interview From Israel with Trevor and Jenny Mbakwe Who Now Make Israel Home
By Nadine Babu

Editor's Note: Nadine recently spent a week in Israel with Trevor and Jenny Mbakwe. Please see the link below for pictures of Trevor and his family in Israel from Nadine's trip, as well as video of Trevor playing for the famous Maccabi team.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/639415?referrer_id=388419

From Dinkytown to Tel Aviv – Exclusive Interview with Trevor and Jenny Mbakwe Who Now Make Israel Home

I’m not going to lie, before going to visit Trevor and Jenny (Belsito) Mbakwe in Tel Aviv in March, I thought playing overseas was a cake walk. You make more money that you would at any job out of school, you only “work” a few months out of the year, and you get to do what you love. Well, the “you get to do what you love” part was true, but it is grueling work. Many overseas players are gone from their friends and families for 10 months out of the year. If you’re like Trevor, on a premiere team, with high expectations, you spend the other 2 months working out with trainers every day.

For those that followed Trevor in college, you know that he has a very strong work ethic, and passion for basketball. Along with talent, I thought that would keep any player growing their career and successful overseas, but what I observed for my two weeks in Israel was much different, his family plays a huge role in supporting him and keeping him successful. Trevor has been fortunate to play in Rome, Bamberg, and now Tel Aviv for Maccabi and has had his son Makhi, and wife Jenny with him for every step of the way.

It really makes a huge difference having your family with you, or it can be a pretty lonely journey. Jenny really is the backbone of this family. She supports her husband, and is the one making him food before practice, making sure he gets enough rest, taking care of him after a minor knee surgery he had when I was there, making sure Makhi gets the best education he can overseas, and pretty much just running the household like a boss. For every fan that stopped us to get a photo or autograph of Trevor’s, should know that she’s the unsung hero in his success.

NB: What is life like in Israel?
TM: It's nice. It's like being in America, almost. As far as everyone speaks English, there's a lot of American-style restaurants. The weather is nice, we live right next to the beach, so it's nice for our kid. Everyone said Tel Aviv is a Miami, and when we got here, it was definitely the truth.

JM: A lot of overseas guys make that comparison too, because it's a huge party town if you actually go out. We haven't really been out. The guys who are single are obsessed with Tel Aviv and stay out until like 8am. Overall, I like that it's a really livable city, it's easy for expats to find their way around. It's definitely one of the easiest places to raise a kid, it's very family oriented, there's an American school option which many places don't have. One of the things that people love coming here, is the restaurants and grocery stores offer variety.

NB: Do you run into any other former Gophers overseas?
TM: No. I stay in contact with all of them though. Austin (Hollins) is in France, Andre (Hollins) is in Belgium, Mo (Walker) was in ltaly for most of the season, now he's in Cyprus, Kendal (Shell) is downtown Minneapolis. I run into a lot of Big 10 guys here,that shows the depth of the Big 10.
NB: What is life like as a pro basketball player – schedule: how much practice, game film, travel schedule?
TM: In Europe, you make your money in practice, the constant 2 a days, long travels, this year, being in Israel, every European competition game is usually a long flight for us. For the most part, it's similar to college, but there is no restrictions on the amount of practice you can do in a week. I love it, I love my job, I love being able to take naps and get paid for it (laughing). I've been fortunate to play for some big teams, so the fan base and organizations have been top notch.

NB: What's a worst-case scenario after losing a big game?
We got fined half of our paychecks last week. The owner has intentionally paid us later, as a punishment for not thinking we had enough effort. If you lose a game, you have to come in the next morning for 2 a days, just killing us.

NB: Have you battled any injuries?
TM: Just small injuries like sprained ankles, until now. I just had some cartilage and some scar tissue that was making it so my knee wouldn't perform the right way, it was very minor, I'll only be out for 3-4 weeks.

NB: How is it raising a son overseas?
JM: It's our biggest factor in the teams we decide to go to, because of how old he is. Most players overseas have younger kids than Makhi, he's at an age where it's a hard adjustment for him to be somewhere new every year, academically and socially. A t the same time, he's experiencing something really invaluable, an experience that he'll carry with him for the rest of his life. He's learning languages, how to adapt to cultural norms, different religions, wars, and things that most 8 year olds don't know about. A lot of countries don't have good public schools. In Germany, he went to public schools because their schools were good. For babies and toddlers, there's really no difference from living back home. I'm not worried about next year with the baby. The family thing is huge too, when you’re growing up you get to see your grandparents, cousins, etc., and that's hard for the kids too, knowing they only get to see their family once or twice a year.

TM: It has its ups and downs, it's tough when you move a 5 year old away from all of his family and friends. The international schools are expensive here, which they have to go to here to have an English speaking school

NB: Is it easier to be over here as a family?
JM: For sure. Just form the single guys I've talked to, they joke that Trevor is lucky to have someone to hang out with, or cook for them.
TM: For 10 months, it's definitely hard being on your own.
JM: The guys who are single, going to the club is only fun for so long, they all get lonely.
TM: I get to see my son grow up and be a part of his life. The first time going to first grade, and other milestones. I couldn't imagine not being able to be a part of his life, and developing that relationship.

NB: Why do some leave their families?
TM: Some are in a different situation, based on what team they’re on, and their living situation. Their wife may have a good job back home, and she's not wanting to give up her job.
JM: Which I don't blame them, because that part sucks.

NB: Your career?
JM: When Trevor first came over overseas, I was at a great place in my career and was happy with my living situation. It was a hard decision, and a big sacrifice either way.

NB: Do you feel like the girlfriends are treated differently from the wives?
JM: I think in general, girlfriends aren't taken as seriously and treated as well.

NB: What benefits do the wives get?
JM: My friend that was a girlfriend with their kids couldn't be on the same insurance plan, and she had a harder time getting a visa. I got everything the day I landed in Germany. It really depends on the organization. There's still a level of respect that I'll get over a girlfriend, unfortunately. The team managers seem to be more responsive to me if I have an issue. Maccabi goes above and beyond for the wives here.

NB: Did you choose correctly?
JM: Yes. If we didn't have kids, I'm not sure I'd make the same choice, but when you're kids are 5, 6, 7, 8, that's crucial time to be with your family.

NB: What career did you put on hold?
JM: I was working as a community organizer, as a political organizer. My aspirations were to just stay involved with local politics, and policy work within the Twin Cities.

NB: Is there a path back to the NBA for foreign players?
TM: Yes. Every year there are several guys that sign deals with the NBA for the upcoming season. There are a handful that have left during the season.

NB: Did you have an option to go to the NBA?
TM: Not to sign directly, but training camp offers. Having a family, I've always had to choose, which is the situation that's financially smart and more stable.
JM: People don't realize that playing overseas is often more lucrative.

NB: What is the range of pay players?
TM: $30,000 to $3 million.
JM: A third-division team can make as little as $10,000

NB: How do you negotiate your contracts, and what have you learned?
JM: Our first year, we had no idea that we were supposed to negotiate housing situations, schools, etc. That's why we ended up with the bare minimum - a studio apartment, really dirty, no kitchen, no privacy, outside of the city where there were no amenities in the area. Our second year, we had demanded more in our contract, and it was for a team with a bigger budget. We had a great living situation, a house with a yard, it was 6 or 7 bedrooms, it was really nice. The people who have really beautiful places pay for them. A lot of players that want a nicer lifestyle will pay the difference to have a swanky place on the beach. This year, the housing was really adequate, and it's not a priority of ours to have a super modern amazing condo, we'd rather prioritize funds elsewhere. The other factor in not wanting to spend additional money is because we wanted to purchase a home in Minneapolis, and not pay double housing costs. The biggest perk of being over here is not paying housing costs.

NB: I know there is a quota to how many Americans teams can have, is that right?
JM: It depends on the team, the country, and organization. In Israel, he plays as American, but last year and in Italy he was a Nigerian because they were over their quota. It makes Trevor a more valuable player in those countries because he doesn't take another spot as an American. Teams will find ways to get players passports so they're not American. For example, it's easy getting an Israeli passport if you're Jewish.

NB: What are the best teams you'd want to end up on?
TM: Maccabi is one of the elite teams, Barcelona, Madrid, I'm in a great situation as it is. Hopefully I'll be here for the duration of my career.

NB: How long are the contracts here?
TM: It can be an 8 year contract, no limits, it just depends on what you can decide to do. High level, they do 2-3 year deals. My current deal is a 3 year deal, after this year, it's their option, and after year two, it's my option.

NB: Do they sign people based on being fan favorites ever?
TM: They've signed players for being fan favorites. They want you to connect with the fans, and if you're a good person. It's about how you fit in with the team.

NB: You play at what is considered one of the top overseas teams – how challenging is it knowing which league and country to play in?
TM: Halfway through my first year, you start realizing who the top teams are. Even Jenny knows the majority of the top teams, and she's not really a basketball fan at all.
JM: I'm not really that bad (laughing).

NB: Does that matter?
TM: Not at all. When I come home, that's the last thing I want to talk about. I have enough peers to discuss basketball with.
JM: Even when I try to be a basketball wife, he's like "No, I don't want to talk about work."

NB: Did you consult with former Gopher Ariel McDonald who had a great career in Israel about his experience?
TM: No, but he and Willie Burton were two of the first guys to congratulate me on Facebook. They told me I'd love my time here. Ariel is loved amongst many people in Israel.

NB: Tell us about Israel – what’s it like living here? What has surprised you?
JM: The fact that you're so insulated from the political situation, you never talk about it, you never hear about it. That's one of the main things that people think about when they think about Israel, so it was really surprising. It doesn't feel like more dangerous here to me. Mass shootings are way more common in America, the motives are different.
TM: How big the Jewish community was. We played in NY and Chicago, I didn't think most people cared about European bball in the states, but there were so many that came out to watch us, because the Jewish community is so strong. When you play for Maccabi, it's like you're representing the whole country.
JM: The Maccabi fans would have the Israeli flag, where as the most teams overseas don't have your country's flag for your team, they'd have their team logo. It highlights the fact that it's not just bball fans, it's the Israeli Jewish culture, it's a source of pride for the Jewish community.
TM: So many people write me on Facebook to tell me how much they love Maccabi basketball.

NB: What do you do on the religious Jewish holidays where much of the country shuts down to celebrate?
TM: That's usually our night off, so we have early practice Friday, and late Saturday, so I get family time to hang out with Jenny and Makhi.
JM: We'll go to the park. In Tel Aviv, things get so crazy on Shabbat, we try to avoid venturing out much, cook a big dinner, relax with family, watch a movie, go bowling.

Yom Kippur:
JM: We had no idea it would be that intense. People were riding bikes and walking on the middle of the highway, because you couldn’t find a single car out for the duration of the holiday. The grocery stores were shut down for several days, so one of the families that's been here for a while rescued us with groceries.

NB: Has he learned to speak or read any Hebrew?
TM: No.
JM: Trevor has actually told me how to say a few words. Since he's around it more, he's taught me how to say "good morning, hi, bye."
TM; Usually we count on Makhi, but he's let us down so far this year.
JM: I didn't realize how much having a different alphabet would be such a barrier, in Italian and German we'd attempt to sound things out.

NB: How have the Israeli people welcomed you?
JM: The Israeli people are warm, and always inviting us to Shabbat dinners. It's such a family oriented culture, they want to include us in things, and they want to make sure we're enjoying our time here.

NB: What is the Maccabi Fan base like?
TM: Nobody compares to Maccabi fans. I've had good fans everywhere we went, it was a smaller version of this, 5-6K, here we have a 12K arena, and for most of the games, it's sold out. Fans wait for us before and after the game. For a lot of these fans, their weeks depend on whether we win or lose. When we're on the road, we're representing the whole county, in most places in Europe, you won't find places where bball is more popular than soccer, or equal to it, like it is here.
JM: Maccabi is the one team in Israel that on Euro League game nights, it's more popular than soccer, as far as ratings go. That's a big deal for being overseas, since soccer is much more popular.

This is such an awesome interview on so many levels Nadine!!! Very cool that you got to spend time with Jenny and Trevor in Israel. Love the pictures and video. Very cool experience for you and I really appreciate you sharing it with us!

Go Gophers!!

This is such an awesome interview on so many levels Nadine!!! Very cool that you got to spend time with Jenny and Trevor in Israel. Love the pictures and video. Very cool experience for you and I really appreciate you sharing it with us!

Go Gophers!!

+1 This is what off season reporting should be. I'm very appreciative that someone like Nadine is out there getting a real story. Not regurgitating opinion.

+1 This is what off season reporting should be. I'm very appreciative that someone like Nadine is out there getting a real story. Not regurgitating opinion.

Travelling to the Holy Land to get the story is quite the sacrifice too. Way to go, Nadine!

Are you deducting the cost of the trip?

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for you kind words - I know it's not as "exciting" as a sex tape, or a recruit committing, but it was a piece I was so proud of because they were so open and I learned so much!

Thank you Nadine! What an awesome read.

This is the best thing I've read in months.

Thank you both very much, I appreciate it!

Nadine, BTN included your interview in their daily "Big Ten Links" article:

http://btn.com/2016/04/22/big-ten-links-read-fridays-football-news-digest-ahead-of-saturdays-games/

Go Gophers!!

Wow, big time, thanks!!!

Thank you - I mean, it was just a quick jaunt over to get it :).

Travelling to the Holy Land to get the story is quite the sacrifice too. Way to go, Nadine!

Are you deducting the cost of the trip?

Anything for a good gophers piece, right?!

Btw - if you don't follow Jenny and Trevor, you should know that they just had a beautiful healthy baby girl yesterday, Isla. Jenny was a trooper, and I'm pretty sure she's already Daddy's little princess :).

Great interview, Nadine - really interesting and informative. You need to start videoing stuff like this!

Great interview, Nadine - really interesting and informative. You need to start videoing stuff like this!

Girl, I have almost 800 videos on my phone, you're welcome to spend an afternoon looking through them, or follow me on SnapChat. I'm already scolded for posting too much, but I have TONS of photos and videos of everything!

Did Trevor talk about playing with Dragon Bender, Nadine?

Did Trevor talk about playing with Dragon Bender, Nadine?

Ha, Trevor was too nice to say anything about him...but I really watched him. He played minimal minutes, got really pushed around, was nothing impressive that I saw. I asked Trevor about it - how someone like him, who is their star player, is proven in a pro league, isn't really coveted by the NBA, but this kid who showed nothing so far, is. Obviously, it's all about potential, I get that. But I'd think you'd rather sign a 26 year old for even a year a two, than an 19 year old that needs a ton of development. But what do I know? ;)

I am surprised that some guys are getting only $10K to play ball at the lower levels. I hope Trevor can stay healthy and have a great and long career.

Top Bottom